Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 12:15 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,999,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
By accepting ONE fallacy, one will be led to believe many others..
Then give up your fallacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 08:32 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,416,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
It is one thing for Jesus to finish the mission for which He came.
It is quite another for Paul to complete the word of God.
The Bible is a vast expression of various thoughts and feelings, it is not God's Word.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
The Bible is the final say on spiritual matters.
That depends on how you interpret it.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:11 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,358,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I wouldn't know. I've never even attended a Catholic service--or even watched a complete "mass" on television. Of course, it could mean that God is able to give the same message to people NOT indoctrinated by their own belief system.

Why go to church? There are no inspired or revelatory sermons. You just need reinforcement about that idol you worship? No need to listen to anyone singing a message about Christ--they aren't inspired anyway.

Well now we come to the crux of the matter and quite indicative of bibliolatry. Whatever you don't want to apply to your own life--but which is still in the Bible--applies to different times and different people thereby absolving you of your personal responsibility toward Jesus Christ. Of course, you have none, since it is not Christ you worship but your bible.

The parable I shared doesn't "apply" to you and applies only to them because of verse 13. If it applied to you, then you would hear and obey. By removing yourself from the picture you are able to remain an unrequited Bible worshiper.

Your honesty displays your naivety in things of the Spirit. You have doubtless "proven" to us all that you are unable to learn because you refuse to search for truth---you've found it. You have made that book perfect in the way Jesus was perfect. We don't know that God sent the bible--or which books--but we do know from the ones we have that God sent Jesus. You have made a book equal to God. That is idolatry.
Aren't we special?

May God have mercy on your soul. You betcha you need to be relying on that universalism.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:40 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,061,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Some Christians pick and choose what parts of the bible they will decide to take literally and what parts they will not. Are only parts of the Bible inspired?

When the creation account in Genesis describes the Moon being a light source of its own and not "reflecting light" as the world teaches.

Would it be so hard for God to inspire the writer to write " the lesser light reflects the greater light"

In Genesis people are living to be almost 1000 years old.

Book of Joshua describing the Sun and the Moon standing still. (not the earth, if earth that we are told is rotating 1000 miles per hour was to suddenly stop, what would happen to the earth?)

Would it be so hard for God to inspire the writer to say the earth stood still ?

The creation of the life on earth being about 6000 years ago and more...etc.

If we as Christians believe that Satan is real and has deceived the whole world and is in control of this planet, why would it be so hard to believe that he is not controlling all of the important information that is put out to the masses, especially information that would cause people to doubt the Bible?

By what authority do Christians have the right to choose not to believe some parts and believe others?

If someone says, I do not believe in a literal creation account nor Adam and eve, or perhaps some of the other above issue I mentioned, but then say I believe that Jesus is the Son of God and he did many miracles and was raised from the dead. By what reason? Because with that logic, a Christian can chose to just believe what ever he or she wants from the bible and no other Christian can say anything about it.

I believe in the complete Word of HaShem. This wasn't always so. But then I met the Author and finisher of my faith, and a whole new world literally opened up to me, and dead letters became alive and made me alive within.

And then the deeper I dove in like a man dying of thirst, the more beautiful and intricate yet simple, it became. It's like a diamond of the purest form and cut, of truly unparalleled beauty that when the light hits it, it displays all the colors of the rainbow, and you cannot be satisfied until you have seen it from every stunning facet, which will take a lifetime, and then some, an eternity. Peace

Last edited by Rbbi1; 02-27-2016 at 08:51 AM..

Old 02-27-2016, 09:31 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,950,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post

[/font]
By what authority do Christians have the right to choose not to believe some parts and believe others?

If someone says, I do not believe in a literal creation account nor Adam and eve, or perhaps some of the other above issue I mentioned, but then say I believe that Jesus is the Son of God and he did many miracles and was raised from the dead. By what reason? Because with that logic, a Christian can chose to just believe what ever he or she wants from the bible and no other Christian can say anything about it.
By what authority do you claim that the Bible is our authority or guide? The Bible itself says that our guide is to be something else entirely. Do you believe the Bible about THAT?

Old 02-27-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The bible itself says that our guide is to be something else entirely.
Do you believe the bible about that?
Only from the heart can you touch the heavens.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:51 PM

63,949 posts, read 40,236,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
By what authority do you claim that the Bible is our authority or guide? The Bible itself says that our guide is to be something else entirely. Do you believe the Bible about THAT?

Old 02-27-2016, 06:55 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,827,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The Bible is a vast expression of various thoughts and feelings, it is not God's Word.
Jesus and the apostles said differently.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:37 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,950,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Jesus and the apostles said differently.
Where? Do an experiment, jimmiej, Wherever the words "word of God" or even just "word" in reference to something attributed to God, substitute "truth" for "word" and see if the meaning changes. "Word of God" is not about the writings, but about what is exptressed.

Last edited by nateswift; 02-27-2016 at 10:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity