Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 06:20 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,653,622 times

Advertisements

Little background, I was born and raised Catholic and had both of my sons baptized as Catholics because.............. well that's just what you did when you had a new baby. After that, I mostly left the church and never felt good about most organized religions. My thinking is that you can worship and praise the lord anywhere and with anyone, even alone. It makes no difference. If I choose to go to church to worship with others and enjoy myself, that's also okay.

We moved to a new state and decided to visit a few different churches. This is a VERY small town. We found a southern baptist church that we like alot. I've learned a lot in the Sunday schools, probably more about the bible than I ever learned growing up. We've been going about 2 months. The pastor visited us at home and left the church constitution (as they call it) and the rules state that in order to be a member of the church, we either have to submit proof from our former "Southern Baptist" church that we were members of or be baptized into this church (immersion in water). These "rules" immediately turned me off. I'm not interested in being baptized into a specific religion just to please others or be accepted. I thought a church was an open door to be part of it, and now I'm hit with the rules of the religion. It's not going to happen, so either we just won't be part of the church or can attend as "outsiders" ::::gasp:::::

I've NEVER heard of such rules before just to be a church member but I've also never attended south baptist services before. To me, baptisms are just rituals and I'm not interested.

Is this typical? Does anyone else feel the way I do? I'm sure when we are asked about it, they won't like my answer. What is the best way to handle this? If they push it on me, we won't return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 07:04 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Little background, I was born and raised Catholic and had both of my sons baptized as Catholics because.............. well that's just what you did when you had a new baby. After that, I mostly left the church and never felt good about most organized religions. My thinking is that you can worship and praise the lord anywhere and with anyone, even alone. It makes no difference. If I choose to go to church to worship with others and enjoy myself, that's also okay.

We moved to a new state and decided to visit a few different churches. This is a VERY small town. We found a southern baptist church that we like alot. I've learned a lot in the Sunday schools, probably more about the bible than I ever learned growing up. We've been going about 2 months. The pastor visited us at home and left the church constitution (as they call it) and the rules state that in order to be a member of the church, we either have to submit proof from our former "Southern Baptist" church that we were members of or be baptized into this church (immersion in water). These "rules" immediately turned me off. I'm not interested in being baptized into a specific religion just to please others or be accepted. I thought a church was an open door to be part of it, and now I'm hit with the rules of the religion. It's not going to happen, so either we just won't be part of the church or can attend as "outsiders" ::::gasp:::::

I've NEVER heard of such rules before just to be a church member but I've also never attended south baptist services before. To me, baptisms are just rituals and I'm not interested.

Is this typical? Does anyone else feel the way I do? I'm sure when we are asked about it, they won't like my answer. What is the best way to handle this? If they push it on me, we won't return.

Doesn't Catholic have the same rule?

At any rate, continue to learn your Bible and do a topical study on baptism to see that it is when God forgives the sins of the believer and when God adds one to His church.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:14 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
This is common with some churches, particularly Baptist churches. Baptism by emersion is a physical representation of a Christians rebirth in Christ and is very common for official membership in the church.

For them, Baptism of babies as performed in the Catholic Church is not a true baptism, as they believe a Christian must be old enough, and knowledgeable enough to accept Christ on their own. Clearly, and infant is not at that point.

Either way, I would recommend that you continue to sample churches if you feel pressured into Baptism, or church membership. In my experience, Churches who seem too pushy and pressuring for official membership tend not to do so for Christian reasons.

Follow God's leading on where you should be worshipping... and if someplace doesn't feel right then God likely is not leading you there.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
Doesn't Catholic have the same rule?

At any rate, continue to learn your Bible and do a topical study on baptism to see that it is when God forgives the sins of the believer and when God adds one to His church.
Catholics may have the same rule, I"m not sure. It doesn't change how I feel about the "rules". I was baptized Catholic. I don't need each religions baptism.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:32 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
Quote:

As others have noted, Southern Baptists do not accept infant baptism. You will need to consider a non-denominational church, a mainline Protestant church, or a return to the Catholic Church, of which you are still a member.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
This is common with some churches, particularly Baptist churches. Baptism by emersion is a physical representation of a Christians rebirth in Christ and is very common for official membership in the church.

For them, Baptism of babies as performed in the Catholic Church is not a true baptism, as they believe a Christian must be old enough, and knowledgeable enough to accept Christ on their own. Clearly, and infant is not at that point.

Either way, I would recommend that you continue to sample churches if you feel pressured into Baptism, or church membership. In my experience, Churches who seem too pushy and pressuring for official membership tend not to do so for Christian reasons.

Follow God's leading on where you should be worshipping... and if someplace doesn't feel right then God likely is not leading you there.

I didn't know this was typical with Baptist churches.

Unfortunately there aren't many other churches to try without a very long drive. I was enjoying the services at this one until I got hit with the rules.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:56 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Quote:

Unfortunately there aren't many other churches to try without a very long drive. I was enjoying the services at this one until I got hit with the rules.
I am sorry but I feel like I know the situation your in. You like the worship and fellowship at the church, but are getting pushback because you are not adhering to what really is their own flavor or legalism. Your looking to be spiritualy fed, and feel fed there. Yet, that's not enough for their pastor or church leadership, who are intent to grow the membership of the church who have more of a deeper vested interest.

I do not know their exact reasons but as I eluded to, it often is not for Christian reasons. I personally am turned off by official membership, as that, IMO, leads to deeper involvement in the politics and drama within a church and congregation. I have no interest, and find no Christian need for either.

Maybe the long drive would be worth it if you found the right fit...

Old 02-12-2016, 08:38 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
Quote:

In the Baptist church it is, by definition, a group of baptized believers*, it's very typical.

When I was a kid my mom who grew up Catholic was rebaptized as an adult and so was my wife who also grew up Catholic. I was baptized at the age of nine.

*first they believed, then they were baptized.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:10 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
Believe Me, it is not worth the aggravation. It sounds like the church you mentioned are trying to exert control over you. If you allow this, they will continue to control your life and mind.....

Old 02-12-2016, 09:12 PM

Is there such thing as a church that you can just openly go to for services with others without rituals and rules for acceptance? Is this non-denomination?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity