Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 09:20 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,476,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Is there such thing as a church that you can just openly go to for services with others without rituals and rules for acceptance? Is this non-denomination?

Aren't all religions about rituals and rules?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 10:05 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,237,468 times
Quote:
Little background, I was born and raised Catholic and had both of my sons baptized as Catholics because.............. well that's just what you did when you had a new baby. After that, I mostly left the church and never felt good about most organized religions. My thinking is that you can worship and praise the lord anywhere and with anyone, even alone. It makes no difference. If I choose to go to church to worship with others and enjoy myself, that's also okay.

We moved to a new state and decided to visit a few different churches. This is a VERY small town. We found a southern baptist church that we like alot. I've learned a lot in the Sunday schools, probably more about the bible than I ever learned growing up. We've been going about 2 months. The pastor visited us at home and left the church constitution (as they call it) and the rules state that in order to be a member of the church, we either have to submit proof from our former "Southern Baptist" church that we were members of or be baptized into this church (immersion in water). These "rules" immediately turned me off. I'm not interested in being baptized into a specific religion just to please others or be accepted. I thought a church was an open door to be part of it, and now I'm hit with the rules of the religion. It's not going to happen, so either we just won't be part of the church or can attend as "outsiders" ::::gasp:::::

I've NEVER heard of such rules before just to be a church member but I've also never attended south baptist services before. To me, baptisms are just rituals and I'm not interested.

Is this typical? Does anyone else feel the way I do? I'm sure when we are asked about it, they won't like my answer. What is the best way to handle this? If they push it on me, we won't return.
Different churches offer different philosophies. Some are more authoritarian than others. And the Baptists believe that nothing but total immersion will do, hence their name. Some places insist on, believe it or not, showing your tax returns so that they can be sure you are tithing enough. Not that we don't tithe, but there's no way I'm going to put up with that kind of heavy-handed nonsense for a second.

But in the Episcopal Church, if you are baptized in one church, you are baptized in all churches, which makes you automatically eligible to receive the eucharist. And we don't believe in total immersion, the same as the Methodists, Presbyterians, and Lutherans. Just stroll in and attend.

Mind you, you do have to take some classes to be received as a full member, but that is more so the newly received better understand how the church operates than anything.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Aren't all religions about rituals and rules?
Well, yeah. You essentially go for a rite or an approach to worship. Unless of course, you stroll into a Quaker or Unitarian service. Not much structure to those.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:34 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,525,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
As others have noted, Southern Baptists do not accept infant baptism. You will need to consider a non-denominational church, a mainline Protestant church, or a return to the Catholic Church, of which you are still a member.
Agreed. Baptist churches, whether the very conservative Southern Baptist or less conservative Baptist denominations, believe in "adult" baptism. This always made sense to me, someone mature enough to personally accept Christ. BUT, I've never experienced a church, Baptist or not, not being accepting to new people. Whether to get baptized or not into the faith is supposed to be a personal choice, which is the whole point of choosing (as opposed to infant) baptism! OP, please look into some other churches. This poster's suggestions are spot on, non-denominational, mainline Protestant, and Catholic (as said, you are already a member).

Old 02-13-2016, 02:30 AM

9,697 posts, read 10,050,503 times
The nondenominational fellowship church were I go does not have membership , and people are free to go without membership , and even communion service people are encouraged to be born again in the spirit of Christ but not mandatory ....... See Baptist may have doctrines of baptism on their rules for membership , but other churches do not ........ Still the church were I go does have baptism , but it is one Jesus Christ and the persons time for this , as many people are not ready to be baptized and we wait on the Lord ....... Then Baptism in water is not a ritual , as Jesus said as He was baptized to follow me for His righteousness , as it proves to Jesus of a person intent in repentance , which is key to receiving God spirit

Old 02-13-2016, 08:58 AM

20,444 posts, read 12,829,674 times
I have been a Southern Baptist for 50+ years. To become a member, you must:

-make a confession of faith (Romans 10:9-10) and be baptized by immersion or

-provide a letter from a previous like-minded (immersion) church or

-if previous church info is unavailable, join by statement that the above is true

At my current church, we require that you attend a set of classes to understand what we believe, how we govern ourselves and how we spend our money.

Of course, you may just attend, without becoming a actual member. All are welcome.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I have been a Southern Baptist for 50+ years. To become a member, you must:

-make a confession of faith (Romans 10:9-10) and be baptized by immersion or

-provide a letter from a previous like-minded (immersion) church or

-if previous church info is unavailable, join by statement that the above is true

At my current church, we require that you attend a set of classes to understand what we believe, how we govern ourselves and how we spend our money.

Of course, you may just attend, without becoming a actual member. All are welcome.
No one would ever accuse me of being a fundamentalist and I certainly don't agree with the Baptist approach. At the same time, it's not unreasonable to expect someone joining a church to have some fundamental buy-in for that church's belief system and culture.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:09 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,230,802 times
Quote:
Is there such thing as a church that you can just openly go to for services with others without rituals and rules for acceptance? Is this non-denomination?
Anyone that comes in the door at my church is welcome to sit down and worship.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:20 AM

28,124 posts, read 30,052,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Same with my church; visitors are always welcome. That doesn't mean that everyone who walks through the door and sits down is a Mormon, though.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:21 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,420,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
And what happens if the do not agree with you, or what you teach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity