Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 01:20 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,998,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Sad, so very sad! Retaining the ignorant and barbaric beliefs of our ancient ancestors is no way to honor Jesus and His sacrifice to reveal the TRUE NATURE of God. There can be no merging of the barbaric beliefs of our primitive ancestors with the revelations of Jesus.
But Mystic, God is the One Who revealed Himself to those ancient ancestors. They didn't invent what God said. So are you saying God was wrong back then but finally got His story right, now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 01:53 PM

63,943 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Quote:
Sad, so very sad! Retaining the ignorant and barbaric beliefs of our ancient ancestors is no way to honor Jesus and His sacrifice to reveal the TRUE NATURE of God. There can be no merging of the barbaric beliefs of our primitive ancestors with the revelations of Jesus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
But Mystic, God is the One Who revealed Himself to those ancient ancestors. They didn't invent what God said. So are you saying God was wrong back then but finally got His story right, now?
Of course not, but their interpretation and understanding of what was revealed was corrupted by their ignorance and barbaric superstitions about blood sacrifices to appease a wrathful God. Let's face it, even in their own stories, Noah stupidly sacrificed the VERY ANIMALS he was told to save from extinction!! I would ask why you TRUST them as witnesses to the truth, Eusebius???? Jesus demonstrated unambiguously His qualifications to speak for God.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:29 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,732,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
A few comments...

I read this and wonder if you know what plagiarism is - especially when you start attributing it to the Bible.

I can tell that you rarely go to church. A church with strong believers would probably challenge you about your views. You continuously talk about others who fear - maybe it's you that has the fear. Because contrary to the blog (and you) discounting Hebrews 10:25 about meeting regularly with other Christians, it something "Christ followers" should do. And you are being disobedient. Maybe I am wrong, but you are probably not taking any type of communion - as Jesus commanded we do in remembrance of Him. That's more disobedience if that is indeed the case. Go back to Genesis 2 - what did the Lord say? It is not good to be alone. That is still the case today with regards to fellowshipping regularly with other believers. Even Jesus trafficked regularly with other believers and he was regularly in the synagogue.

So it doesn't surprise me that you are such an adversary to many Christians. It makes total sense to me. Because you just don't get to where you are by doing everything you should be doing on a regular basis. Somewhere along the line there is long term disobedience in an area or two that gets you further and further off track as time progresses. The good part is that you can get back on track if you are willing, and God will want to bless you more than you expect.
Occasionally I do meet with a few Methodists in a start-up church---mostly at their weekly discussions. It is still fairly dogmatic and orthodox although far from fundamentalist. The discussions are "open," anyone can offer any opinion without being subject to being talked down to---another trait of fundamentalism. There I can broach ideas, discussing and studying, without the reproach that is popular in your type of religion.

Interesting you should quote Genesis 2, and use it to mean "Christians," but reject the same verse with regard to your homosexual brothers and sisters, demanding they live alone and chaste despite God's love of sexual expression throughout the OT and His observation that both His creation is good and it is not good for man to live alone, which is the first thing we see recorded as not good.

The entire fabric of the world is being torn apart by the rise of religious fundamentalism in all the major religions and you brag you are a part of one.? Astonishing to say the least. Be sure of this, God sees no difference in your fundamentalism and that of Muslims or Jews. All of you have a deep seated desire to force onto society something Jesus came to set us free from. Hence we see a multitude of books and articles by people who have escaped your cults (yes, not long ago I read of a Muslim fundamentalist who finally rejected some of the terrorism his fundamentalism supports).

The way you reinforce your ability to be ugly toward the current "others" in your sights, is to gather in groups and talk about how God loves what you are doing, how unenlightened everyone else is, and how those of us standing against your desires will get our "just" reward in hell. It is disgusting to see people who name my Lord as their leader sunk in the same pithole of book worship as the Pharisees who killed Him.

You won't read what others say because you are afraid of being influenced in another direction. It is the hardheaded worldview of all fundamentalist--each who has the same misconception that only "they" can possibly be right.

The difference between my view and yours is quite simple. Mine does not harm anyone anywhere. There are no dozens of articles or books by people escaping from progressive Christianity into fundamentalism. Why do you think that is? Is your Christianity so impotent as not to sway a single progressive to join it?

With regard to plagiarism in the bible, why is it that there are at least 100 verses in the Synoptics that show a common source? God whispered in the ear of each writer because he was unable to see or hear what the earliest writer said? Again, fundamentalism requires people to suspend the intellect God gave them as "foolish" so that there scriptural understanding remains perfect.

DRob4J, I have stood in many pulpits and preached. I have seen people flock down the aisles after in response to my sermons. It is quite a rush. But when one follows up on all those "decisions" the results show many to be an emotional response where the intellect failed to grasp the message. Shades of Billy Graham's own confession about all his conversions. Real believers consent with both heart and mind--a complete change that does not require them to dismiss their own knowledge about science and the propensities of people. Fundamentalism demand both the emotion and a divorce of the mind from common sense. No thinking person would do that which is why your religion appeals to those who can't think or who are able to suspend logical thinking in order to "fit" into the cult. Cults are ripe with these kinds of people. I know, I was apart of it, listened to the nonsensical dismissal of logical thinking in order to "believe."

Sorry, but when I finally understood thinking is not a manner of opposing God but rather a method of honoring Him, I was able to read and weigh the opinions of others in a fair and open manner. That's why MysticPhD is my brother in Christ despite our rather severe disagreements over the "meaning" of some Scripture. At his heart lies a love for all people. In the final essence he loves people while your essence is to love Scripture--and include people as an afterthought and then, only if they meet your Scriptural criteria for being loved --or are at least a candidate to meet that criteria.

No one has to meet any criteria whatsoever to be loved by my God.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 04-26-2016 at 02:38 PM..

Old 04-26-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
The same God
Who revealed Himself
truthfully in the Old Testament
is the same God Who revealed Himself
truthfully in the New Testament. Time is not
a factor when the truth is involved
Except when it comes to the modern fundamentalist movement which has invented its own views about the "Truth" in the last 130 years.

And, yes, you have managed to turn christianity into the same kind of idiotic religion as have those you have determined are going to hell:
Quote:
Fundamentalists of text-based traditions treat a core holy text as infallible and inerrant - for example in Islam the scribes who eventually wrote down Muhammad's recitations wrote that it was not Muhammad who wrote the Qur'an. They said that he merely recited the copy of it that Allah created in Heaven. Aside from Abrahamic religions other textual traditions encompass communities that fall into the same traps - "conservative Sikhs share the same abhorrence of modern textual interpretation and exegesis as Protestant Christian fundamentalists", writes one sociologist.
Your "faith" fits right in with that of Muslims and Sikhs.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 04-26-2016 at 03:07 PM..

Old 04-26-2016, 03:04 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,998,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Except when it comes to the modern fundamentalist movement which has invented its own views about the "Truth" in the last 130 years.
The modern fundamentalist movement did not write what God revealed in the Old or New Testaments.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:01 PM

63,943 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Occasionally I do meet with a few Methodists in a start-up church---mostly at their weekly discussions. It is still fairly dogmatic and orthodox although far from fundamentalist. The discussions are "open," anyone can offer any opinion without being subject to being talked down to---another trait of fundamentalism. There I can broach ideas, discussing and studying, without the reproach that is popular in your type of religion.

Interesting you should quote Genesis 2, and use it to mean "Christians," but reject the same verse with regard to your homosexual brothers and sisters, demanding they live alone and chaste despite God's love of sexual expression throughout the OT and His observation that both His creation is good and it is not good for man to live alone, which is the first thing we see recorded as not good.

The entire fabric of the world is being torn apart by the rise of religious fundamentalism in all the major religions and you brag you are a part of one.? Astonishing to say the least. Be sure of this, God sees no difference in your fundamentalism and that of Muslims or Jews. All of you have a deep seated desire to force onto society something Jesus came to set us free from. Hence we see a multitude of books and articles by people who have escaped your cults (yes, not long ago I read of a Muslim fundamentalist who finally rejected some of the terrorism his fundamentalism supports).

The way you reinforce your ability to be ugly toward the current "others" in your sights, is to gather in groups and talk about how God loves what you are doing, how unenlightened everyone else is, and how those of us standing against your desires will get our "just" reward in hell. It is disgusting to see people who name my Lord as their leader sunk in the same pithole of book worship as the Pharisees who killed Him.

You won't read what others say because you are afraid of being influenced in another direction. It is the hardheaded worldview of all fundamentalist--each who has the same misconception that only "they" can possibly be right.

The difference between my view and yours is quite simple. Mine does not harm anyone anywhere. There are no dozens of articles or books by people escaping from progressive Christianity into fundamentalism. Why do you think that is? Is your Christianity so impotent as not to sway a single progressive to join it?

With regard to plagiarism in the bible, why is it that there are at least 100 verses in the Synoptics that show a common source? God whispered in the ear of each writer because he was unable to see or hear what the earliest writer said? Again, fundamentalism requires people to suspend the intellect God gave them as "foolish" so that there scriptural understanding remains perfect.

DRob4J, I have stood in many pulpits and preached. I have seen people flock down the aisles after in response to my sermons. It is quite a rush. But when one follows up on all those "decisions" the results show many to be an emotional response where the intellect failed to grasp the message. Shades of Billy Graham's own confession about all his conversions. Real believers consent with both heart and mind--a complete change that does not require them to dismiss their own knowledge about science and the propensities of people. Fundamentalism demand both the emotion and a divorce of the mind from common sense. No thinking person would do that which is why your religion appeals to those who can't think or who are able to suspend logical thinking in order to "fit" into the cult. Cults are ripe with these kinds of people. I know, I was apart of it, listened to the nonsensical dismissal of logical thinking in order to "believe."

Sorry, but when I finally understood thinking is not a manner of opposing God but rather a method of honoring Him, I was able to read and weigh the opinions of others in a fair and open manner. That's why MysticPhD is my brother in Christ despite our rather severe disagreements over the "meaning" of some Scripture. At his heart lies a love for all people. In the final essence he loves people while your essence is to love Scripture--and include people as an afterthought and then, only if they meet your Scriptural criteria for being loved --or are at least a candidate to meet that criteria.

No one has to meet any criteria whatsoever to be loved by my God.
Preach it, brother.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
The modern fundamentalist movement did not write what God revealed in the Old or New Testaments.
What it did was change the orthodox interpretation of "inspiration of Scripture" into the plenary verbal inspiration that it never was prior to the early twentieth century. From there, cultists have built a religion that has effectively destroyed this nation's ability to compromise among its members about anything. Therein lies the ability of the Trumps of the world to rise to power.

Take that god over to the Middle East where nations in the past few years have learned well the lessons you taught--willingly or unwittedly.

Still another lesson learned from fundamentalists is that not even real history is safe from your ability to twist it into an alternate reality.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:39 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,798,478 times
Quote:
Of course not, but their interpretation and understanding of what was revealed was corrupted by their ignorance and barbaric superstitions about blood sacrifices to appease a wrathful God. Let's face it, even in their own stories, Noah stupidly sacrificed the VERY ANIMALS he was told to save from extinction!! I would ask why you TRUST them as witnesses to the truth, Eusebius???? Jesus demonstrated unambiguously His qualifications to speak for God.
I want to see Eusebius' response to that. I suppose it would be that there were enough clean beasts for sacrifice. After that, I suppose no more until the herds had bred. But we really don't need yet another Noah's Ark thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity