Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 09:34 PM

8,283 posts, read 8,686,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Problem is that true Christians from this forum have either left CD or just beat up every time they come here , and then there is a lot of attention to the sexual diverse divisive media attacks of Christians who believe in God , which channels on to this forum ...... Then there is the liberal laws and if crossed would be blaspheme as an offence to people , and many Christians will never change their ideas to the better end ........ Still Agape love is only the love of God and has no value in the world for use , as the highest people who do not know God can go with love is philia love which is loyal brotherly love ....... Then Jesus says take no account , put ought at the feet of God and pray for your enemies ....... See Jesus says to Christians that they will have enemies to pray for , so it is not easy
So you get to decide who the true Christians are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 09:53 PM

45,706 posts, read 27,317,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
Okay what has been puzzling to me since I joined this forum is the immense hatred to those who keep to a literal, Biblical Christian worldview. Sometimes I seriously need to recheck if this is the "Christianity" forum. The attitudes are very hostile, and the atmosphere imo very negative in general. And ironically the people that proclaim 'agape love', (or refer to Dan & John Ford Coley songs on love), are usually the ones most hostile and impatient towards Bible believing Christians.

So why does the agape love fly out of the door all of a sudden when confronted with other views? Even if other views claim exclusivity, and you don't agree, shouldn't agape love, love them nonetheless?
Why is there a need to keep denegrating faithful Christians as "fundies", bigoted, hateful, small-minded, etc. If agape love is indeed agape (universal and unconditional), then shouldn't that include "fundies"?

Maybe I am wrong, and I am new on the forum, but do others recognise this hostile attitude?
You are not wrong. That's why there are very few remaining around here.

Some like Trout, Freak80 are non-Christians.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:38 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,242,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

True.*

And although I can't speak for Freak, most of my family, friends and loved ones are Christians - some nominally, some fervently, some in-between.

And one whack-job fundy.

In other words, I get along with most Christians just fine.

It's the fundavangelists who require my reproof and correction.

*Perhaps the first non-basketball post of yours I've been able to say this. Maybe you should keep them short. Just a thought.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:52 AM

88,732 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I am on a mission to give hugs in this thread. I am out of breath as Freak has longer legs than mine. I hope you are blessed with short legs.

I am 6'1" I will bring a stepstool for you.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:56 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,736,805 times
Quote:
Okay what has been puzzling to me since I joined this forum is the immense hatred to those who keep to a literal, Biblical Christian worldview. Sometimes I seriously need to recheck if this is the "Christianity" forum. The attitudes are very hostile, and the atmosphere imo very negative in general. And ironically the people that proclaim 'agape love', (or refer to Dan & John Ford Coley songs on love), are usually the ones most hostile and impatient towards Bible believing Christians.

So why does the agape love fly out of the door all of a sudden when confronted with other views? Even if other views claim exclusivity, and you don't agree, shouldn't agape love, love them nonetheless?
Why is there a need to keep denegrating faithful Christians as "fundies", bigoted, hateful, small-minded, etc. If agape love is indeed agape (universal and unconditional), then shouldn't that include "fundies"?

Maybe I am wrong, and I am new on the forum, but do others recognise this hostile attitude?
You are not wrong, the "agape-lovers" typically join forces with hostile atheists to display the exact opposite of love toward Christians.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 05-21-2016 at 09:06 AM..

Old 05-21-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

And some of us who are Christians get told in no uncertain terms that we're not REALLY Christian if we don't hold the Bible as the inerrant actual words of God. It would be nice to have interesting theological discussions on here, but it doesn't happen. I have tried. Recently I offered what I thought was some interesting insight I'd learned on the Good Samaritan parable, and I was snarled at and slapped down because what I was saying isn't spelled out word for word in the gospel. How does one then deal with that kind of mentality? There's no conversation, no give and take.

I did not know until I was on here for a while that fundamentalists take exception to being called fundamentalists. Fundy is just shorthand. A fundamentalist I know in real life calls himself that and is proud to do so, so I didn't think it was a problem.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:

I think, to answer your question, that there is a sense that people claiming to be Christian who then turn around and use bible quotes to condemn others or justify mistreatment of our fellow humans should know better; hence the tendency of the "love your neighbor" Christians to slap them down. I think sometimes we assume that they are deliberately using the bible as a screen to hide behind to harm others when that may not be true. Perhaps they truly don't know better. Something to consider.

I know that I personally have a tendency to be more in agreement with atheists than fundamentalists. Atheists are honest. They don't believe in God. I do, but I can see their point of view. I cannot see the fundamentalist point of view.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 05-21-2016 at 09:34 AM..

Old 05-21-2016, 11:35 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,060,041 times
Quote:

You're not wrong. The flesh wars against the Spirit CONTINUALLY, that's why. Peace

Old 05-21-2016, 11:42 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,796,902 times
Quote:

Yes. Fundies/Evangelicals are often anything but Christian. They're the very sheep in wolves' clothing and hypocrites Jesus warned about.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:12 PM

Rereading the OP--You are probably correct that other Christians have the least patience with those with a literal Bible worldview. I feel as if that interpretation of Christianity is a corruption of what our faith is supposed to be and that it causes great mischief and harm. Bible wordplay has been used in ways that hurt other people and damage perception of what following Christ is supposed to be.

I think it might help on both sides if the beliefs were couched as such and not stated as absolutes. It will not stop all the fighting, but maybe can cut it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity