Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 10:00 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,945,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
One of the things I think is very dangerous is denying Biblical inerrancy. The Bible claims Divine Authority for itself, the Holy Spirit wrote it using men, what makes you think there are errors in it? All flesh is as grass, but the Word of the Lord will stand forever, the Bible says. Why don't you believe that? What makes it tough, when you deny Scriptures authority, is to judge yourself spiritually against it. You don't give it ultimate authority, so, you can live against Gods Word, and still be okay with God, still have that relationship with Christ. But Christ spoke out against this quite radically! ....
As the post immediately prior to your points out, the Bible does NOT claim divine authority for itself, and what is more, it gives a completely different authority to be our guide, but you don't seem to believe the Bible about that.

You make the serious blunder of assigning a desire to go against God as the reason for not taking the Bible as authority, but you are dead wrong and a little examination of what others are actually saying should make that clear to you..... if you have the courage to examine yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 10:00 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,417,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
I was waiting to see if you were going to say something about my post and I was right . I notice your posting the last few minutes in other threads along with this one that it seems your looking for someone to disagree with .
Aw, you noticed me. Like I said before, I have a soft spot in my heart for you, Cyber, so I do notice when you're posting, too.

Now, let's see. My posts outside of this thread this morning have revolved around MLK, cheese, and agreeing with someone that "they" is really "us", big '60's hairdos, my experience of finally wising up to my own ignorance when I was anti-gay, Jesus quoting scripture against satan, and encouraging someone to focus on walking in the Spirit. You thought I was looking for someone to disagree with?

Quote:
Well I was going to ignore but my reply to you is you need to go and read and study and you'll find a different answer to your post, the correct answer !
I didn't ask a question. I pointed out a discrepancy in your post.

Quote:
As usual the non-believers come here throwing out their worldly opinions and not having the correct information when it comes to the scriptures but their own interpretations of what they think of what is God's truth and telling the believer their wrong, LOL !!
Again, me not applying the label of Christian to myself does not make me a "non-believer". And you were wrong. The passage you referenced in Matthew (showing a brother their fault) didn't say what you thought it did. It is a passage about reconciliation between people when one person has wronged another, not telling someone that their relationship with the Lord is in jeopardy because you think something they are doing is sinful.

Last edited by Pleroo; 07-19-2016 at 10:16 AM..

Old 07-19-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
I guess I'll have to ask you to tell me what YOU think they are saying. Enlighten me.
The Word is what Jesus embodied, and Jesus gave us a "Guide' that claiming Biblical authority completely ignores. The only reason I can see for not trusting the Spirit that Jesus promised is a failure to encounter it.

Everywhere you see "the Word" think of it as what Jesus taught and not the way you think it is delivered. The Bible is a valuable tool FOR the Spirit, but not authority.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The Word is what Jesus embodied, and Jesus gave us a "Guide' that claiming Biblical authority completely ignores. The only reason I can see for not trusting the Spirit that Jesus promised is a failure to encounter it.

Everywhere you see "the Word" think of it as what Jesus taught and not the way you think it is delivered. The Bible is a valuable tool FOR the Spirit, but not authority.
Thanks for picking up the slack, nate.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:16 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,370,405 times
Quote:

Maybe I don't understand you correctly, if so I'm sure you can advise. However, could not one both have the Holy Spirit indwelling in them as a born-again believer AND believe the Bible is inspired and inerrant? If not, why not?

Old 07-19-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Thanks for picking up the slack, nate.
It's my sharp nose, ask Finn.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:21 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,854,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Kudos to geekigurl, Pleroo and nate for demonstrating kindness, patience and reason in the face of deliberate obtuseness, judgmentalism and pompous self-righteousness.

Keep shining your light on the dark-spirited bible-worshipers who inhabit this forum.
Thank you, Trout. *hugs*

Old 07-19-2016, 10:22 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,051,030 times
Quote:
As the post immediately prior to your points out, the Bible does NOT claim divine authority for itself, and what is more, it gives a completely different authority to be our guide, but you don't seem to believe the Bible about that.

You make the serious blunder of assigning a desire to go against God as the reason for not taking the Bible as authority, but you are dead wrong and a little examination of what others are actually saying should make that clear to you..... if you have the courage to examine yourself.
It does, you denying it is only proof of either your unability to read plain english, and/or your complete disregard of the Bible no matter what it says.

2 Peter 1:19-21 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

2 Timothy 3v16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

John 10v35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

Why cant it be broken? It is Gods Word, and not that of man.

Matthew 5v18 "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

Matthew 24v35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

Isaiah 40v8 The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.

Maybe the Holy Spirit wasnt sent down to replace the Scriptures, but rather to enlighten our understanding of them and to lead us in the ways described in the Bible.

Psalm 119v105 NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Without the Word, we just stumble into the darkness of our own minds and our own paths. Sure we need the Holy Spirit, but the Holy Spirit is the author of the Bible, so however the Spirit will guide us will always be in accordance with the Bible.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
It's my sharp nose, ask Finn.
A typo/ auto-correct problem maybe? It was supposed to read "sharp MIND"

Old 07-19-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
It does, you denying it is only proof of either your unability to read plain english, and/or your complete disregard of the Bible no matter what it says.

2 Peter 1:19-21 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. [Note that is says "of the scripture," or contained within the scripture. It is not talking about the whole of scripture]

2 Timothy 3v16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
[Note that is says, "is useful" not "is authority." Useful to whom?]
John 10v35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
Why cant it be broken? It is Gods Word, and not that of man. [Take another look at this passage, Jesus was confounding them using their own beliefs, not saying that scripture actually could "not be broken," whatever that means]

Matthew 5v18 "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.[So, if the "all" has not been accomplished, what is your position in regard to the sacrifices mandated in the scriptures?]

Matthew 24v35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.["Words" does not refer to scripture, but to the words themselves regardless of how delivered]

Isaiah 40v8 The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.
[Same comment]
Maybe the Holy Spirit wasnt sent down to replace the Scriptures, but rather to enlighten our understanding of them and to lead us in the ways described in the Bible. [Maybe the Holy Spirit was sent to be our guide as it says and not to be bound by any book. As I have said, the only reason I can see not to trust Jesus' promise is a failure to encounter that Spirit]

Psalm 119v105 NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Without the Word, we just stumble into the darkness of our own minds and our own paths. Sure we need the Holy Spirit, but the Holy Spirit is the author of the Bible, so however the Spirit will guide us will always be in accordance with the Bible.[The Word is the message, not any of the means of delivering it.]
I hope the interlinear comments in bold enclosed in [] brackets help your understanding. Go with the simple promise of Jesus and stop looking to another Guide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity