Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 01:21 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,881,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Sometimes, the wonderful world of doctors cannot do anything.
What would you recommend a person do, if that were the case?

Should the person, just lay down and die without any hope?
No. They can go home and pray if they want. The point I'm making is that if you really do believe with all your heart that your god will cure you when you pray to it to do so, then don't take up hospital resources. Have the courage of your beliefs and stay home and pray, just like the JW's and CS do. If you don't believe that your god will cure you if you pray to it to do so then, by all means, go to hospital and take advantage of the wonderful equipment and medicines that science has given us.

However, if you do go to hospital and modern science and medicine DOES cure you then don't go around wailing 'Praise the Lord'. Praise SCIENCE, HOSPITALS and MODERN MEDICINE instead. It was those things that cured you, not your god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 01:30 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,354,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
No. They can go home and pray if they want. The point I'm making is that if you really do believe with all your heart that your god will cure you when you pray to it to do so, then don't take up hospital resources. Have the courage of your beliefs and stay home and pray, just like the JW's and CS do. If you don't believe that your god will cure you if you pray to it to do so then, by all means, go to hospital and take advantage of the wonderful equipment and medicines that science has given us.

However, if you do go to hospital and modern science and medicine DOES cure you then don't go around wailing 'Praise the Lord'. Praise SCIENCE, HOSPITALS and MODERN MEDICINE instead. It was those things that cured you, not your god.
I see Rafius . Denominational gods ? The JW god teaches you go to the Dr .... Straight to hell boy, so they refuse treatment and die anyway.

I suppose it's really what your faith is in and if it works, well, more the better.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:38 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,420,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I see Rafius . Denominational gods ? The JW god teaches you go to the Dr .... Straight to hell boy, so they refuse treatment and die anyway.

I suppose it's really what your faith is in and if it works, well, more the better.

I would say that Rafius, like fundamentalist adherents of various world views, adopts an all-or-nothing sort of mentality when it suits him.

Old 07-24-2016, 02:46 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,413,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I would say that Rafius, like fundamentalist adherents of various world views, adopts an all-or-nothing sort of mentality when it suits him.
Apparently!

Old 07-24-2016, 04:40 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,440,399 times
Quote:
Have you ever read "Five Children and It", Miss H?
Gasp, no...I will look it up right now, sis!

Cute, I read the Plot summary...adorable.
Children who make wishes that end at sunset.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:32 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,420,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Gasp, no...I will look it up right now, sis!

Cute, I read the Plot summary...adorable.
Children who make wishes that end at sunset.

It's a cute book. I'm not entirely sure why, but something about your post brought it to mind. It's been a really long time since I read it with my kids, so I don't remember it exactly, except that the children in the book never got what they thought they were asking for. I guess the connection my mind was making to your post might have been that what we say we want, isn't always what we really want (believe?), deep down.

Anyway, I'm a fan of good kids' books. If you are, you might enjoy it.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Well yes! The really do believe what they say they believe, unlike the majority of Christian sects. They believe that if they stay home and pray then their god will cure them...and if he doesn't and they die then they see that as the will of their god. It called not being a hypocrite.

Quote:
At least they have the courage to rely on their 'faith' and trust in their god to do what they think he will do. Most Christians on the other hand, wax lyrical about what a WONDERFUL and PRECIOUS thing is 'faith' but clearly, that only applies as long as they are in good health. When they are ill and especially when they feel they are on the very point of meeting that character that they claim to want to spend eternity with.... they quickly run off to hospital and rely on modern science and medicine to prevent that meeting happening!

Quote:
It's not all or nothing. It's simple case of putting one's money where one's mouth is...just like the JW's and the CS do and the majority of Christians don't. JW's and CS have 'faith' that their god will save them...and if he doesn't well so what, they will be going to a better place and that is what they want.

The majority of Christians also 'claim' that they have 'faith' in their god curing them. They also claim that their heaven will be such a wonderful place to be...yet when crunch time comes they say... 'damn that' and go running off to hospital LOL!

Old 07-26-2016, 07:58 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,440,399 times
"God has answered my prayers in the past. I know God hears and listens to prayers."

Well, ya know...and I know this first hand, of course..."He"** doesn't just
listen to prayers...and that is why I say under no circumstances
entertain any thought that is not kind and good and loving.

And when we have developed an intimate relationship with our Creator (that
permeates every particle and 'space' in existence)...just
the hint of a thought and He will manifest that for you.
I could not tell you here the seemingly impossible things 'He' has made happen within
an hour of thinking of my 'predicament' !

I tell you sometimes of the $100,000 given to me to pay my mortgage...
I tell you of healings I have facilitated in the ICU, coma, machines keeping them alive ....yet, daily things are
WAY more profound...'impossible things'!

Deadlines, planes to catch, mother suddenly dying, yet, I must have 3-8x10 ft partitions up within 24 hours for an Art Show (what?)...and 'He' lined up every thought in my head to call a particular person for some silly unrelated question who happened to
have 3 partitions laying around, (what?) and she happened to be at work on a Sunday
to help me load them (what?), that fit within the lines by 1/4inch....(what?)
they were up and ready within 3 hrs of finding out I needed them. Absolute perfection.
And that is just one thing...I have a list! Oh, my many stories....

When you love God...but understand, you must know something before you really love them or else you are just loving an idea, an image, the feeling you get when you imagine them;
When you know and love God...'He' essentially becomes a moth to a flame.
The love in your heart is something 'He' simply can not resist.

It is impossible for 'Him'...as it is any lover or father to not give you everything your
little heart desires.

This is something only those that hold 'Him' ever so dearly to themselves know intimately ...
otherwise, this relationship sounds absurd and like a fairy tale, magical and made up.
I know.

** 'He', Who has no gender

Old 07-26-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I tell you sometimes of the $100,000 given to me to pay my mortgage...
WOW! What a special little snowflake you must be huh? The very day he gave you $100,000 to pay your mortgage, 10,000 African children died for the want of a glass of clean water.

Quote:
'impossible things'!
Yes...impossible is the correct word.

Quote:
Deadlines, planes to catch, mother suddenly dying, yet, I must have 3-8x10 ft partitions up within 24 hours for an Art Show
Double WOW! He ensures that nothing stops your art show but doesn't ensure rain in Africa to grow crops...what a guy!

I find it quite sickening that there are people that posit these type of daft stories. I find those people themselves rather sickening too. You never hear these people saying..'I'm glad that Jesus found me a parking space but I would have rather him stop a child from being sexual abused by those that claim to follow him.'

Quote:
It is impossible for 'Him'...as it is any lover or father to not give you everything your
little heart desires.
Unless you are a child with a distended stomach in Africa with flies crawling into your eyes and mouth and not even enough life left to brush them away.

What a cruel, evil sicko you worship....but I'm sure that as long as he finds your car-key the next time you lose them, you will consider him deserving of worship.

'The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.'
Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

How very true. Sick! Sick! Sick!

Last edited by Rafius; 07-26-2016 at 11:11 AM..

Old 07-26-2016, 11:07 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,614,119 times
Boom!

Good post Rafius
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity