Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 04:42 PM

37,347 posts, read 28,428,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I'm not the one who claims he was the epitome of love.
You mean walking into a temple that was corrupted by religion and the 3 steps to heaven merchandise being sold, you couldn't really blame him, knowing that those who'd set this In Place,? is one of the reasons many like yourself are "whatever, unless he reveals himself to me on my set terms there is no way on earth I would seek after him" ?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, and like I explained I am 100% convinced what I believe is true.
I'm more convinced about my experience with God... And that it works in my life.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:48 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,713,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You mean walking into a temple that was corrupted by religion and the 3 steps to heaven merchandise being sold, you couldn't really blame him, knowing that those who'd set this In Place,? is one of the reasons many like yourself are "whatever, unless he reveals himself to me on my set terms there is no way on earth I would seek after him" ?.
You seem to forget that I did seek after him. Again, I wasn't the one who claimed that "God is peace". I don't recall an extenuating exclusion.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, and like I explained I am 100% convinced what I believe is true.
How did you come to the conclusion that what you believe is true? You seem to suggest that simply believing something makes it true. Is that the case?

Old 07-04-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I'm more convinced about my experience with God... And that it works in my life.
What specific experience would that be? Did you have a revelation, a conversation, or a hallucination like Mystic?

Old 07-04-2016, 05:04 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,829,972 times
Quote:
How did you come to the conclusion that what you believe is true? You seem to suggest that simply believing something makes it true. Is that the case?
No, those are your words, not mine. Let me try repeating what I told you earlier: God gave us his assurance in His word, and His peace in our hearts. When I believed, He gave me his peace, and His Spirit to assure and guide me in the truth.

I did not say believing something makes it true in everyones eyes. As a matter of fact I said the opposite using your slavery comment as an example. What I believe to be true, does not require agreement from anyone else. People are welcome to disagree.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 07-04-2016 at 05:24 PM..

Old 07-04-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
What specific experience would that be? Did you have a revelation, a conversation, or a hallucination like Mystic?
Conscious awareness of the reality of Christ within which brought with it abiding peace. Like I keep telling you, it passes understanding, but if it didn't you'd never understand because like a true fundamentalist of your own biases, you're mind is already made up. Your OP is pointless unless you are genuinely seeking something greater than your own biases and prejudices, but of cause you don't have biases and prejudices

Old 07-04-2016, 05:42 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,980,785 times
Quote:
You seem to subjectively choose the teachings and actions of Christ that fit your narrative, not considering that the story of Christ in the Bible includes him not being so agape-loving to the money changers in the temple or the fig tree he cursed for not bearing fruit.
Quote:
I'm not the one who claims he was the epitome of love.
Your understanding of love [the concern for the (total) well-being of everyone], has some serious limitations. As Joanne Greenberg noted, "I Never Promised You a Rose Garden." Love may take forms that are not "sweetness and light."

Old 07-04-2016, 07:35 PM

64,098 posts, read 40,400,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What kind of evidence tells you who is and who is not a follower of Christ???
Quote:
You seem to subjectively choose the teachings and actions of Christ that fit your narrative, not considering that the story of Christ in the Bible includes him not being so agape-loving to the money changers in the temple or the fig tree he cursed for not bearing fruit.
Stop the lying and misrepresenting. I do not subjectively choose anything. It is not random nor capricious. It is always the same standard. I use the spirit of agape love as unambiguously revealed and demonstrated by Christ to choose what is true and what is error as we are told to do in 1 John 4:6-8.

1 John 4:6-8 King James Version (KJV)
6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:47 PM

595 posts, read 333,932 times
Quote:
In general, how does one determine one's belief is true, assuming you are interested in what is true?
It is delusional to think you can do this in general, but there are some pretty good criterion you can use to identify beliefs which are irrational, unreasonable, or even immoral.

1. Logical coherence is the condition for a belief to be meaningful.
2. Consistent with the objective evidence is the condition for a belief to be reasonable.
3. Compatibility with the ideals of a free society is the condition for moral belief in the kind of society I choose to live in.

For those who choose to live in a free society also these are conditions which are at least somewhat objective but these conditions still leave a wide range of choices because objective evidence isn't as abundant as some people delude themselves to believe.

Quote:
If I believe that slavery is a reasonable way to treat another human is it a valid belief simply because I believe it?
#3 That one fails the last criterion as does quite a number of beliefs which seek to impose personal moral commitments which have no objective evidence to support them.

#2 Likewise it would be unreasonable to believe Santa Claus is a physical person living at the north pole of the Earth. At the very minimum to you have to make some adjustments in order for a belief in Santa Claus to be reasonable.

#1 If you can show that design is logically inconsistent with the very nature of life then you would have a good argument that the belief in Intelligent design is logically incoherent and thus meaningless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity