Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 08:13 AM

4,765 posts, read 2,004,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotles child View Post
RESPONSE:

You do realize that the story is fictional, don't you? You are apparently expanding it.
How do you know it is fictional?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 08:53 AM

45,768 posts, read 27,415,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
Why exactly did they offer God anything at all? Nothing prior to this event did God dictate to them to give him an offering.
I assume that it was spelled out by Adam to the sons. It seems like Cain should have known what to give from the way the text is written.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:59 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,282,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
How do you know it is fictional?
I suspect it may be for the same reason that I know it's fictional: because I'm an intelligent, educated, rational adult.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:11 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,060,738 times
Animal farm and Flatland:
Fiction, nonfiction, or mythology?

Old 08-09-2016, 09:15 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,282,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
Animal farm and Flatland:
Fiction, nonfiction, or mythology?
I'm not familiar with Flatland but Animal Farm is allegorical fiction (and brilliant).

Old 08-09-2016, 02:48 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,862,931 times
I don't know, but God finally blew up about it in Isaiah.

Isaiah 1:11-17
“What are your multiplied sacrifices to Me?â€
Says the LORD.
“I have had enough of burnt offerings of rams
And the fat of fed cattle;
And I take no pleasure in the blood of bulls, lambs or goats."

“When you come to appear before Me,
Who requires of you this trampling of My courts?"

“Bring your worthless offerings no longer,
Incense is an abomination to Me.
New moon and sabbath, the calling of assemblies—
I cannot endure iniquity and the solemn assembly."

“I hate your new moon festivals and your appointed feasts,
They have become a burden to Me;
I am weary of bearing them."

“So when you spread out your hands in prayer,
I will hide My eyes from you;
Yes, even though you multiply prayers,
I will not listen.
Your hands are covered with blood."

“Wash yourselves, make yourselves clean;
Remove the evil of your deeds from My sight.
Cease to do evil."

Then He tells us what He expects of us.

Learn to do good;
Seek justice,
Reprove the ruthless,
Defend the orphan,
Plead for the widow.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:59 PM

23,275 posts, read 10,574,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
Why exactly did they offer God anything at all? Nothing prior to this event did God dictate to them to give him an offering.
It was always about a harvest, they were given specific harvests and Eve chose the wrong harvest and they found themselves naked and then they tried to clothe themselves with the work of their own hands and God took them and showed them what was required in order to have a covering where the old covering had fallen.

The most beautiful creature was a covering Cherub and it's description is not unlike that of Jerusalem in the book of Revelation, it was this covering that fell and left them naked and exposed.

God took them and showed them that only blood will cover them and this blood pointed to a future sacrifice because the work of their hands was never going to cover them and then Eve had triplets and she said of Cain,'' God has given me a son.''

What she exactly meant by this statement is that God had given her a son who would crush the head of the serpent and so he would swallow up death but when he crushes the head of the serpent, he is bitten on his heal and he dies.

Eve was proclaiming that this was the son who would bring back immortality.

Cain was born and raised believing himself to be THAT Messiah just as Moses was born and raised KNOWING he would be the Messiah and what did Moses do?

Moses killed an Egyptian because of a false spirit thinking that he would take the kingdom by force and this was not the spirit of God.

Cain EXACTLY KNEW that God had ordained his own appointed feast days and they were to do just as God had instructed but the vanity of Cain drove him to bring the work of his own hands and that is how the first born sees things. The first born will build the great cities and be a great men among men but God is not looking to the first born, but to the second born of spirit.

Abel explained to Cain just as it is explained every single day to Christians and although Cain knew God has his own harvest, his own appointed feasts and sacrifices, Cain took it upon himself to create his own because he knew his brother was correct and he didn't like what it implied.

The fact that Cain received a mark means that Cain repented and came back to God's appointed sacrifice.

The great man Cain

Genesis 4:17 Cain made love to his wife, and she became pregnant ...
... Cain made love to his wife, and she became pregnant and gave birth to Enoch. Cain
was then building a city, and he named it after his son Enoch. ...

Jude 1:11 Woe to them! They have taken the way of Cain; they have ...
... Woe to them! They have taken the way of Cain; they have rushed for profit into
Balaam's error; they have been destroyed in Korah's rebellion. ...

Cain had killed the spiritual hidden man of the heart because he chose riches over a priesthood.

Cain chose his own ways and created his own harvest before he repented and people still look at Cain like a bad man when they do the same as Cain, God has appointed harvest of his own and when it is explained to a person who has created their own worship system, they get mad.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:19 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,832,081 times
Romans 14; 17

For the Kingdom of God is not matter of eating or drinking; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I assume that it was spelled out by Adam to the sons. It seems like Cain should have known what to give from the way the text is written.
What he gave is not important. His motive for giving is the only important thing. If it was not from love, it is worthless(ICor 13:1-3).

Same with us today.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I suspect it may be for the same reason that I know it's fictional: because I'm an intelligent, educated, rational adult.
<<

That is not evidence that something is fictional. Also there are others more intelligent, and better educated than you are who accept the story as true.

You may be intelligent but you saying you are does not mean you actually are.

You may be educated but educated people are not omniscient.

IMO it is irrational to declare something is fictional, but can't give evidence that it is.

For my information, what is your PhD in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity