Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 07:52 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
In these beginnings God was interacting with His creation , as these people and their descendants were Gods only hope of having man and women as His family......... See God must have shown Adam and Eve and Cain and Abel that a gift to God could invoke a passion for God , as God was spoon feedings them to be selfless ........ So Abel gave a first-ling of His flock as His was sheep man , and Cain was a grain man , but the land was still curses and could only give Thorns and thistles which produces little grain ....................Adam and Eve and Cain and Abel must of had a prophetic calling from God as they could hear His voice of God`s spirit
Seriously, God's ONLY HOPE!!????

For such an all powerful omniscient being, this god seems to be on the short end of the rope quite often.

You should really get to know the God I know..a complete 180 degree difference as the one I know is CONFIDENT, ASSURED, and very STABLE...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 08:10 AM

692 posts, read 375,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
How do you know it is fictional?
RESPONSE:

Because it was said to have happened thousands of more years ago and no record exists until the Pentateuch
which is is now recognized as having been written between 800 and 700 BC and edited during the Babylonian captivity about 500 BC.

Tell me, was there such a thing as writing in Adam and Eve's time?

Reference: https://www.nytimes.com/books/first/...ein-bible.html

INTRODUCTION
The Bible Unearthed
Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts
By ISRAEL FINKELSTEIN and NEIL ASHER SILBERMAN
Free Press

"In the last few decades scholarly opinions about the dates and authorship of these individual sources have varied wildly. While some scholars argue that the texts were composed and edited during the existence of the united monarchy and the kingdoms of Judah and Israel (C. 1000-586 BCE), others insist that they were late compositions, collected and edited by priests and scribes during the Babylonian exile and the restoration (in the sixth and fifth centuries), or even as late as the Hellenistic period (fourth-second centuries BCE). Yet all agree that the Pentateuch is not a single, seamless composition but a patchwork of different sources, each written under different historical circumstances to express different religious or political viewpoints."

Last edited by Aristotles child; 08-10-2016 at 08:27 AM..

Old 08-10-2016, 08:30 AM

692 posts, read 375,755 times
[quote=omega2xx;45077478]<<

That is not evidence that something is fictional. Also there are others more intelligent, and better educated than you are who accept the story as true.

RESPONSE:

Please provide names and qualifications of some who do.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:43 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
<<

That is not evidence that something is fictional. Also there are others more intelligent, and better educated than you are who accept the story as true.

You may be intelligent but you saying you are does not mean you actually are.

You may be educated but educated people are not omniscient.

IMO it is irrational to declare something is fictional, but can't give evidence that it is.

For my information, what is your PhD in?
A man living inside a fish for 3 days is fiction.

A talking donkey and serpent are both fiction.

Genesis is 100% fiction.

A petulant, psychotic, mass-murdering god is fiction.

If you believe in a literal bible you are lacking in one or more of: intelligence, rationality, maturity or education.

I do not have a PHD. I have a BA in Journalism.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:24 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,996,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotles child View Post
RESPONSE:

Because it was said to have happened thousands of more years ago and no record exists until the Pentateuch
which is is now recognized as having been written between 800 and 700 BC and edited during the Babylonian captivity about 500 BC.
Not quite true. Many good Bible scholars say Job is the oldest book of the Bible and although accurately dating any old book is difficult, many say it was written around 1500 BC. Even if no record does exists befor the Pentateuch does not make it wrong.

Quote:
Tell me, was there such a thing as writing in Adam and Eve's time?
Probably. Cain's son Jubal was the father of music. To play music it helps to have words .

Old 08-11-2016, 10:26 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,996,958 times
[quote=Aristotles child;45077996]
Quote:
<<

RESPONSE:

Please provide names and qualifications of some who do.
Tell me what you PhD is in as I ask, then I will provide you with some names.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:37 AM

560 posts, read 1,130,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I don't know, but God finally blew up about it in Isaiah.

Isaiah 1:11-17
“What are your multiplied sacrifices to Me?”
Says the LORD.
“I have had enough of burnt offerings of rams
And the fat of fed cattle;
And I take no pleasure in the blood of bulls, lambs or goats."

“When you come to appear before Me,
Who requires of you this trampling of My courts?"

“Bring your worthless offerings no longer,
Incense is an abomination to Me.
New moon and sabbath, the calling of assemblies—
I cannot endure iniquity and the solemn assembly."

“I hate your new moon festivals and your appointed feasts,
They have become a burden to Me;
I am weary of bearing them."

“So when you spread out your hands in prayer,
I will hide My eyes from you;
Yes, even though you multiply prayers,
I will not listen.
Your hands are covered with blood."

“Wash yourselves, make yourselves clean;
Remove the evil of your deeds from My sight.
Cease to do evil."

Then He tells us what He expects of us.

Learn to do good;
Seek justice,
Reprove the ruthless,
Defend the orphan,
Plead for the widow.
This is amazing!!! So God got tired of the blood

Old 08-11-2016, 12:50 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
Why exactly did they offer God anything at all? Nothing prior to this event did God dictate to them to give him an offering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
It was a harvest feast.
Abel brought milk.
Cain brought alcohol (probably hard alcohol)
The text doesn't say that. You are adding to the Scriptures. Genesis actually says that Cain gave an offering from the fruit of the ground. It does not say alcohol, nor does it indicate even what type of fruit it was. It may have been grain, it might have been olives, or grapes. But to suggest it's alcohol is adding to the text.

As for Abel, it simply says he brought the firstborn of is flock. There is no mention of milk. He brought an animal to God. To suggest otherwise is to add to the text.

Why do you not actually read what Scripture says?

To answer the OP's question, there is not a command listed in the Bible from God to them to bring an offering. Throughout the OT, we do see offerings given -- such as as throughout the book of Genesis. Abraham giving a tithe to Melchizedek, who was a priest of God, or even the book of Job, where Job made a sacrifice for himself and his kids.

We don't know if God commanded them to bring an offering..it would be logical that he did. But we don't actually know for sure what the offerings were. But we do know that God was pleased with Abel and not Cain. Why? We can speculate, but the text doesn't say--at least not HERE in Genesis. Later on in Hebrews 11:4, we see that Abel offered a sacrifice to God out of faith -- which Cain did not do.

"By faith Abel offered to God a more acceptable sacrifice than Cain, through which he was commended as righteous, God commending him by accepting his gifts. And through his faith, though he died, he still speaks."

Old 08-11-2016, 05:58 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,054,715 times
It does mention milk.
Cains name suggests alcohol.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:03 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
It does mention milk.
What verse? I must have missed that.
Quote:

Cains name suggests alcohol.
No. Cain's name could be translated "spear", not milk.

I see you do that a lot....why not stick with the actual text and not insert your own stuff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity