Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2016, 06:01 AM

604 posts, read 653,134 times

Advertisements

Can someone please explain to me the benefit of a non-denominational church?

My limited understanding is that old denominations have proven themselves with hundreds (Catholic and Orthodox over 2 thousand) years of service. They also have a hierarchical structure, so it is harder for con-artists to become pastors, and easier to identify & replace one if necessary since there is a controlled structure.

A non-denominational one responds to no religious hierarchical authority, so the pastor (and his board) is in total control (religious message & finances), am I missing something?
How do we know some of the non-denominational ones are not really a sect/cult brainwashing followers to blindly follow their pastor/leader?

Sorry I don't mean to say this is a big problem since it is obvious that many non-denominational churches are doing very well and there should be no major reason for concern.
It is a question I have had for many years and I must be missing something or be misinformed.
None of my religious friends and family go to a non-denominational church, so nobody I know well enough to ask without offending them....hope not to offend anyone here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 06:35 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
It's been my experience that "non-denominational" is just another name for "Bible-based" church, which usually means they believe in an infallible, inerrant Bible that is considered dictated by God Himself. To me, that's a red flag. No thinking, no theological discussion, no interesting questions.

I may not be correct about that, though, since I haven't visited every non-denominational church there is, obviously.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:51 AM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times
I am a member of a non-denomination church.

There's probably good and bad with both. There is definitely more freedom with regards to how we operate.

It definitely depends on the people and the foundation of the church (which should be Jesus Christ)... and it definitely takes discernment to avoid the scammers.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:34 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,366,961 times
I would agree that these days non-denominational oftens mean evangelical, Bible-based, etc. However, there are also non-denominational churches that are more traditional or even liberal -- often these may be older churches or churches serving smaller communities, wherein they are trying to serve a group of believers with fairly diverse backgrounds and theologies as part of one church. Additionally, non-denominational churches may still have some sort of affiliation, e.g. if they are part of a family or fellowship of independently-governed churches.

It's amazing when you think about the millions of ways people can disagree. This forum is a living testament to the endless ways in which people can disagree about Scripture, about God, about how to worship, how to live, etc. Communion is a great example of a theological minefield and one that's been well-battled for centuries. Eschatology is a another one -- so many viewpoints.

The good news about the Good News is that if we accept Jesus as our Lord and personal Savior, that's what truly matters, regardless of doctrinal and theological disagreements.

There are downsides and positives to both denominational and non-denominational approaches. We have seen sex scandals and financial misappropriation over and over in all variety of churches, from Catholic to Protestant to unaffiliated. There is no perfect choice, I don't think, given the imperfect nature of the men and women who comprise any church. There will always be some mistakes, faults, etc., but ideally by working together as the church, as a committed body of believers, these can be minimized.

I read with interest some of the writings about the latest UMC General Conference. It's interesting to see how a huge, worldwide body of believers with disparate views on a number of topics could meet together, discuss, debate, disagree and vote on a path forward.

Ultimately I personally think it seems reasonable for someone to try to find a church home that makes sense for them. I fully understand that this attitude may be anathema to a Catholic or some mainline Protestants who may consider that there is only one true/correct denomination and that everyone else may be off track in attending other churches. I am personally more of the mind that all for whom Jesus is their Lord and Savior would comprise the larger body of believers, regardless of the church denomination to which they belong.

Maybe I am wrong but it seems like perhaps there has been some progress in greater acceptance of each other by various denominations and non-denominational churches in recent years/decades relative to the further past. I tend to think that as Christianity is no longer the dominant social more that it once was, that perhaps Christians will find more common ground in each other as fellow believers.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:30 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28079 View Post

My limited understanding is that old denominations have proven themselves with hundreds (Catholic and Orthodox over 2 thousand) years of service. They also have a hierarchical structure, so it is harder for con-artists to become pastors, and easier to identify & replace one if necessary since there is a controlled structure.

A non-denominational one responds to no religious hierarchical authority, so the pastor (and his board) is in total control (religious message & finances), am I missing something?
How do we know some of the non-denominational ones are not really a sect/cult brainwashing followers to blindly follow their pastor/leader?

Sorry I don't mean to say this is a big problem since it is obvious that many non-denominational churches are doing very well and there should be no major reason for concern.
It is a question I have had for many years and I must be missing something or be misinformed.
None of my religious friends and family go to a non-denominational church, so nobody I know well enough to ask without offending them....hope not to offend anyone here.
My church is non-denominational. We are simply a small, independent church. I don't know that there are a lot of "benefits" in as much as we just don't hold to the same beliefs as the Catholic, Lutheran, and Methodist churches in the area.

On the other hand, we are very very small. I've visited people in the area in their homes and been told 5 times in the first 5 minutes that they are Lutheran. Many people will simply not set foot in our church, regardless of what they believe or what we teach because we don't have the name of their denomination.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:30 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
The non denominational church were I go is like a evangelical type church , but it is lead by the lead in the spirit of Christ and Jesus brings a message through the speaker and through the worship and even bring a Word of encouragement of faith through the many prophets who have timely Word for the Church for confirmation and all which is bible based ...................... Were denominational church are lead by conformity of the plan for the church sometime things are planned years in advance through prayer books

Old 08-19-2016, 06:14 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
"Non-denominational" = Southern Baptist

It's funny that a lot of former SBC members left the church to form Non-Denominational churches, while keeping the exact same doctrines. They wanted to attract new members in exactly the same way, but I guess they didn't want the "negative" connotations of the SBC.

Which leads to only one conclusion: Their decision to overtake the entire name of Christianity for themselves means that in a few years, they will have destroyed the name of Christianity, in the same way they destroyed the name Baptist. You have to wonder if that is their true deep intention on some level.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:01 AM

1,867 posts, read 1,524,459 times
Default WHAT'S NOT TOO STRICT In Christianity ?

Making heaven or hell talk over all the bible for today-----Matthew 5:17-20.

That mean jewelry wearing taking you to hell----1 Peter 3:3.

That mean long hair on men taking them to hell----1 Cor. 11.

That mean woman pastors going to hell----1 Timothy 2.

That mean the wrong friends taking you to hell----2 Cor. 6.

That mean grace boasting without repentance is taking you to hell---Romans 6:1.

That mean marrying divorced people is taking you to hell---Romans 7:2-3.

That mean water baptism is taking people to hell---John 3:5.

That mean honoring a pagan holiday is taking you to hell----John 8:24.

That mean working on Saturday is taking you to hell---Hebrews 4.

That mean phony unity is taking you to hell----Amos 3:3.

That mean eulogies with a heaven for people is taking you to hell----Psalms 107:2.

That mean risky mortgages is taking you to hell----1 Timothy 6.

That mean raising a family on poverty income is taking you to hell----1 Timothy 5:8.

That mean being a bishop without another human bishop over you in church government is taking
you to hell----Romans 13:1.

That mean flag worship is taking you to hell---John 4:24.

That mean unruly tongues is taking you to hell----1 Cor. 14.

That mean despising eunichs can take you to hell----1 Cor. 7.

That mean pagan godhead theology is taking people to hell----John 8:24.

That mean asking a work boss for a raise is taking people to hell----Luke 3:14.

That mean ignorance is taking people to hell----2 Timothy 2:15.

That mean flattery and 90% bible real people going to hell---Matthew 7:21-24.

That mean lust for wealth too much is taking people to hell---Luke 12:15.

That mean supporting bums can take you to hell----2 Thess. 3:10.

That mean the wrong recruiting can take people to hell---Matthew 7:6.

That mean loyalty to the wrong leaders can take people to hell---Matthew 15:14.

That mean the wrong prayer list can take people to hell----John 17:9.

That mean loving the world can take people to hell----1 John 2:15.

That mean marrying young widow women can take people to hell----1 Timothy 5:9.

That mean self wisdom can take people to hell----2 Peter 1:20-21.

That mean fun alcohol drinking is taking people to hell---Proverbs 20:1.

That mean the wrong parties is taking people to hell---1 Peter 4:1-4.

That mean head coverings is taking people to hell---1 Cor. 11.

That mean grammar edit bibles is taking people to hell----Revelation 22:18-19.

That mean people going to hell over not knowing people---1 Thess. 5:12.

That mean people going to hell over many faiths in Jesus to have church----Ephesians 4:5.

That mean people going to hell over being an unsubmissive wife----Ephesians 5:22-23.

That mean people going to hell over gun rights like the world----Romans 12:17.

That mean people going to hell over too much toleration of people----Titus 3:10.

That mean people going to hell over being too liked----Luke 6:26.

That mean people going to hell over not being hated enough---Matthew 10:22.

That mean people going to hell over never being a black sheep in the family---Matthew 10:34-37.

That mean people going to hell over never advertising Jesus---Luke 14:23.

That mean people going to hell over no wisdom with sinners----Luke 16:9.

That mean people going to hell over never despising their integrity---Jeremiah 17:9.

That mean people going to hell over never despising their wisdom---Jeremiah 10:23.

That mean people going to hell over not being honest with their confession of faith all
the time----Romans 12:3.

That mean people missing heaven over lack of belief with their real nature---Isaiah 64:6.

That mean people missing heaven over God said mess without the bible behind
it today----Romans 10:17.

That mean people missing heaven over Holy Spirit said mess without the bible behind
it today----John 6:63.

That mean people missing heaven cause they don't believe all the bible is inspired by
God-----2 Timothy 3:16.

That mean people missing heaven cause they don't want to let a real preacher of God live off
the gospel----1 Cor. 9:14.

That mean hell is real for people that beg too much----1 Cor. 9:18.

That mean hell is real for people too arrogant with knowledge----1 Cor. 8:2.

That mean hell is real for people with inferiority with spiritual wisdom---1 John 2:27.

That mean hell is real for people that need a big shot all the time----James 1:5.

That mean hell is real for people that won't be learned enough ever---2 Cor. 4:3.

That mean hell is real for people that don't believe children of the devil exists---John 8:44.

That mean hell is real for deceived people---Romans 3:1-4.

That mean heaven is not for people not moved by reality---James 3:2.

That mean heaven is not for people that can't be corrected by man---James 5:20.

That mean heaven is not for people tithing into any ministry for God---Galations 1:8-9.

That mean heaven is not for people mentored by anybody----Psalms 1.

That mean heaven is not for people ministered to by rookies----Ephesians 4:14.

That mean heaven is not for people into dinosaur expertise---1 Timothy 6:20.

That mean heaven is not for people making tongues the baptism of repentance
teaching----Romans 11:29.

That mean heaven is not for people saying that your not a spiritual giant unless
you cast out demons and heal bodies----Romans 11:29.

That mean heaven is not for people that look at natural prosperity any different then
spiritual prosperity to be saved----3 John 2.

WHAT'S TOO STRICT IS :

Saying you can't give blood to a blood donor.

Saying you have to wear a dress if your a Christian woman.

Saying you have to vote to be a good Christian.

Saying you can't wear shorts and sleeveless tops when it's hot.

Saying you can't listen to any nongospel music.

Well making noise to attract God's people to each other cause they into all the bible ?

2 Timothy 3:16 and John 8:31 and Amos 3:3 and Matthew 7:6 and John 17:21 and Titus 3:10.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:06 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's been my experience that "non-denominational" is just another name for "Bible-based" church, which usually means they believe in an infallible, inerrant Bible that is considered dictated by God Himself. To me, that's a red flag. No thinking, no theological discussion, no interesting questions.

I may not be correct about that, though, since I haven't visited every non-denominational church there is, obviously.
I think you are largely correct. I think many of the denominations actually started out as "Bible-based", and they wanted to follow God's Word but instead drifted off into whatever seems right to them.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:17 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28079 View Post

I'd say the best reason to pick a non-denominational church is that, if you look hard enough, you'll find one where the pastor's interpretation of the Bible matches yours. Any competent pastor is going to be able to support his own take on the scriptures by a carefully chosen selection of passages. As far as I'm concerned, "non-denominational" is just a nice way of saying, "anything goes."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity