Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 08:01 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,290 times

Advertisements

This is a video that explains how intelligent people and vast numbers of people come to believe in false religions. I'm the guy that turns green.

https://youtu.be/Y201QzDdzbg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 09:16 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,912,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
This is a video that explains how intelligent people and vast numbers of people come to believe in false religions. I'm the guy that turns green.

Good video. "DarkMatter" who makes these videos, tells it like it really is. The final statement is haunting:

Why, if something is the truth, do the people promulgating this truth need so many dirty tricks to get people to believe it?"

Tricks like: "There's abundant secular historical evidence to prove Jesus rose from the dead". And "Jesus' resurrection is the most well-attested event in the ancient period, even more well-attested than Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon." That last one always leaves me agape.

Josh MacDowell, Lane Craig, Matt Slick and James White would do well to ponder this relatively simple question.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:40 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Good video. "DarkMatter" who makes these videos, tells it like it really is. The final statement is haunting:

Why, if something is the truth, do the people promulgating this truth need so many dirty tricks to get people to believe it?"

Tricks like: "There's abundant secular historical evidence to prove Jesus rose from the dead". And "Jesus' resurrection is the most well-attested event in the ancient period, even more well-attested than Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon." That last one always leaves me agape.

Josh MacDowell, Lane Craig, Matt Slick and James White would do well to ponder this relatively simple question.
Yes, he has some very cool and informative videos.

I used to believe that because so many people believed the bible and in Jesus, it must be true. This video really makes sense of this. Same can be said for Hinduism, Judaism, Shinto and many others.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:41 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
Quote:

Good clip.

Fundies won't watch it, though.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Yes, he has some very cool and informative videos.

I used to believe that because so many people believed the bible and in Jesus, it must be true. This video really makes sense of this. Same can be said for Hinduism, Judaism, Shinto and many others.
People who puzzle about the popularity of Christianity need look no further than the social aspects of it:

Christianity offers its members an identity, a place where they can congregate together and socialize and joke with one another and have parties and generally communicate with large swaths of people who share a common interest. For many it is their entire world. For young people it is their only social outlet being with other Christians in and out of school. They couldn't stop believing even if they wanted to because the repercussions of being ostracized, losing all their friends, losing that support group is so terrifying to them as to be totally anathema to even consider. So believing in Jesus internally doesn't really matter. A person can put on all the trappings of belief externally in order to function as a cog in the machinery. Jesus is just a means, a lynchpin that holds all these socializing Christians together. Take away Jesus and the entire social apparatus crumbles like a house of cards.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:41 AM

20,439 posts, read 12,781,890 times
Quote:
People who puzzle about the popularity of Christianity need look no further than the social aspects of it:

Christianity offers its members an identity, a place where they can congregate together and socialize and joke with one another and have parties and generally communicate with large swaths of people who share a common interest. For many it is their entire world. For young people it is their only social outlet being with other Christians in and out of school. They couldn't stop believing even if they wanted to because the repercussions of being ostracized, losing all their friends, losing that support group is so terrifying to them as to be totally anathema to even consider. So believing in Jesus internally doesn't really matter. A person can put on all the trappings of belief externally in order to function as a cog in the machinery. Jesus is just a means, a lynchpin that holds all these socializing Christians together. Take away Jesus and the entire social apparatus crumbles like a house of cards.
Yes, there is a social apect to church. So? We humans naturally gravitate to groups. Don't atheists and agnostics do the same?

Old 08-19-2016, 11:50 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,275,560 times
Right, good film
If the "intelligent" man DID start to doubt the "ridiculous claim" he's been fed all his life....he'd probably be considered ( by his family and [well indoctrinated] friends) as going off the deep end and put in a mental institution.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Yes, there is a social apect to church. So? We humans naturally gravitate to groups. Don't atheists and agnostics do the same?
You'd have to ask them but I doubt it as there are no atheist or agnostic churches. I wouldn't know as I am neither. I am deist and believe in God. I'm just seriously doubtful of Jesus' divinity as there is no historical record of him.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:36 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,781,890 times
Quote:
You'd have to ask them but I doubt it as there are no atheist or agnostic churches. I wouldn't know as I am neither. I am deist and believe in God. I'm just seriously doubtful of Jesus' divinity as there is no historical record of him.
Nice dodge.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:18 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,012,828 times
See people on the outside of truth can reason out some ideas which may help people who question their belief , like the author of this atheist video ..................... problem is what is truth and what is false ridiculous claim .................. For here I do not question my belief as God abides on my life and I can sense Him there all the time night and day , as His Spirit encourages here and rids my body of illness , and poor thinking where these will be gone through simple prayer , as there may be a pain in my foot or in other areas of my body and with prayer the pain is gone is two minutes or less , See this video is useless to convince here that I may be deceived in some doctrines which became fact but actually to Know God I cannot be convinced by some words of denial of God who I know ........................... See I would never pick up a sword and cut the enemies down like your video may say so I do not believe that I will be a problem to the world .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity