Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 12:57 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,928,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Is that what the Bible says? Or, is that what you say?

You are missing the core point:

- First you state that the Pope adds material to the Bible (they do) and that this is wrong.
- To illustrate your point, you cite a scripture verse- then you add material to that same scripture verse.

Don't you see the irony?

Maybe, maybe not.

"Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard". - Leviticus 19:27

"Finally, Samson shared his secret with her. "My hair has never been cut," he confessed, "for I was dedicated to God as a Nazirite from birth." -Judges 16:17

As you can see, Leviticus states that men must have long hair in places. Do you have long hair in these places? Likewise, I don't know the length of Samson's hair, but I am guessing that it was pretty long.

Conversations like this really illustrate why any Rabbi will state that Judaism has never been a sola scriptura religion. Neither has Christianity.

Not the hair that Jesus is pictured with. God had a special covenant with the Nazarites--not Nazarenes.

There is one truth in the bible--and since there are but two scenarios on earth where one is called Father= a Dad or a spiritual teacher--one is truth one isn't. the spiritual teacher is what the bible was referring to. The Pope is no ones holy Father--He fathered nothing for anyone--Jehovah is the holy Father-alone.
You can twist it into anything you want, but my words are truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 02:06 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,397,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Not the hair that Jesus is pictured with. God had a special covenant with the Nazarites--not Nazarenes.
So long hair is not always dishonorable -right.

Also, what is your comment on Leviticus? Do you have long hair in those places as Leviticus clearly commands? Or do you follow 1 Corinthians?

Quote:
The Pope is no ones holy Father--He fathered nothing for anyone--Jehovah is the holy Father-alone.
You can twist it into anything you want, but my words are truth.
Still missing the point. When the pope adds something to the Bible, you say it is inherently wrong. When you add something to the Bible, it is apparently "needed".

I am not twisting your words. What the pope is, or is not is not important. Rather, I am very plainly stating the obvious- you also add material to the Bible. Why not just admit it? The pope does.
Quote:
Jehovah is the holy Father-alone.
Do you know why JWs follow the Old Testament rule against eating blood, but not the Old Testament rules on women's menstrual periods- or do they? Also what about the dietary laws, do JWs follow these as well?

Last edited by Cryptic; 09-09-2016 at 02:33 PM..

Old 09-10-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
So long hair is not always dishonorable -right.

Also, what is your comment on Leviticus? Do you have long hair in those places as Leviticus clearly commands? Or do you follow 1 Corinthians?

Still missing the point. When the pope adds something to the Bible, you say it is inherently wrong. When you add something to the Bible, it is apparently "needed".

I am not twisting your words. What the pope is, or is not is not important. Rather, I am very plainly stating the obvious- you also add material to the Bible. Why not just admit it? The pope does.

Do you know why JWs follow the Old Testament rule against eating blood, but not the Old Testament rules on women's menstrual periods- or do they? Also what about the dietary laws, do JWs follow these as well?

There is one truth in the bible, and yes some things need to be explained. It is not adding to it, just teaching truth on the matter.

Jesus brought to his real followers a new covenant=LOVE--doing away with the Mosaic law covenant.
The NT says-- abstain from blood.( in every way) JW,s do not touch a bleeding woman( sexually), nor eat it or get it transfused.
The dietary laws were the Mosaic covenant.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:57 PM

10,074 posts, read 4,995,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I know this post is old and George answered your question below, but as he mentioned, Catholics don't believe that everyone goes to Purgatory. Regarding purgatory, I struggled with that concept as a Catholic. The way all the priests that I know have described purgatory, is that it is a purification process. They have said that nobody knows how the dimensions of time/space work in the afterlife, so someone could be in purgatory for a matter of seconds or it could be longer. Nobody knows. Thinking of it as a place/process of purification is a little easier for me, though it's still a difficult concept.
How can anyone go to purgatory when purgatory is Not a Bible teaching ?

According to Scripture what is price tag that sin pays according to Romans 6:23; Romans 6:7 ?
Since death pays the asking price tag of sin, then how can a dead person be tried again and punished again ?
Why that would be double jeopardy !

Was there a post-mortem penalty for Adam ?_____ or did Adam simply 'return' to the dust - Genesis 3:19
A person can Not ' return ' to a place he never was before.

Jesus did Not teach pain in death but unconscious sleep in death - John 11:12-14
Jesus was well educated in the old Hebrew Scriptures which also teach sleep in death:

- Psalms 6:5; 13:3; 115:17; 146:4; Daniel 12:2,13; Ecclesiastes 9:5

In a sense, I suppose, one could call the resurrection a purification process.- Acts 24:15
Just as a geovernor can pardon a person so the crime charges do Not stick, Jesus can pardon a person to the sin charges do Not stick. - 1st John 1:7, so what a person does ' after ' they are resurrected during Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rulership over Earth begins is a figurative, so to speak, purification process.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
JW,s do not touch a bleeding woman( sexually)
The bible does not differentiate between sexual touching and regular touching. Rather, it says don't touch a bleeding woman, or near bleeding woman - period.

Your posts really illustrate how your religion does not represent historical Judaism or historical Christianity. For example, though you claim to be pure sola scriptura, it is evident that:

- Some of the purportedly unchangeable rules are quickly modified by clearly non biblical "clarifications". Other rules such as the long forelocks are simply ignored. Likewise, I doubt the male members of your family have glass eyes: Matthew 5:29

Likewise, the JW prohibition on eating blood seems to be contradicted by Mark 7:18: Are you still so dull?” He asked. “Do you not understand? Nothing that enters a man from the outside can defile him,

In short, neither you nor the Catholics follow the bible in it's totality. The difference is that the Catholics never claimed to do this. As a side note, modern Jews have also never claimed to follow the Old Testament in its totality either.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
The bible does not differentiate between sexual touching and regular touching. Rather, it says don't touch a bleeding woman, or near bleeding woman - period.

Your posts really illustrate how your religion does not represent historical Judaism or historical Christianity. For example, though you claim to be pure sola scriptura, it is evident that:

- Some of the purportedly unchangeable rules are quickly modified by clearly non biblical "clarifications". Other rules such as the long forelocks are simply ignored. Likewise, I doubt the male members of your family have glass eyes: Matthew 5:29

Likewise, the JW prohibition on eating blood seems to be contradicted by Mark 7:18: Are you still so dull?†He asked. “Do you not understand? Nothing that enters a man from the outside can defile him,

In short, neither you nor the Catholics follow the bible in it's totality. The difference is that the Catholics never claimed to do this. As a side note, modern Jews have also never claimed to follow the Old Testament in its totality either.

I know this fact--Every mortal on this earth that actually loves Jesus--learned and applied every teaching he gave to us. and I know for sure, the teachings of Jesus prove the JW teachers correct.
Many things said in Gods word are symbolic or disguised or other teachings get added to make a single truth.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I know this fact--Every mortal on this earth that actually loves Jesus--learned and applied every teaching he gave to us. and I know for sure, the teachings of Jesus prove the JW teachers correct.

I cant prove that the JW teachers are correct or incorrect. I do, however, think you, considering the totality of the JW religion and what has been said of it, should advance your religion with a little more humility.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I cant prove that the JW teachers are correct or incorrect. I do, however, think you, considering the totality of the JW religion and what has been said of it, should advance your religion with a little more humility.

If you knew what Jesus taught, you would see the JW teachers are correct-- Jesus said--proof of ones love for him was by one-listening to him. How can one listen if they do not know all that he taught? One does not want to fall into this category at judgement-Matt 7:21-23-- Jesus taught there--not all saying lord lord will enter Gods kingdom, the ones who live now to do his Fathers will, get to enter the kingdom.
At Jesus' baptism God showed how important it is to listen to Jesus when he said--- This is my son the beloved in whom I am well pleased--LISTEN TO HIM. = Gods will.
One cannot listen to him unless they take their time and study his teachings and apply them daily.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:48 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,449,282 times
Quote:
Mosaic laws no longer in force after Jesus fulfilled them. Now we are under the Law of Christ.

Quote:
Both turned from God, historical Judaism and "Christianity". See Jesus parable of the wheat and tares.

Quote:
They are not unchangeable, after Jesus death they ceased to exist as laws.

Quote:
Likewise, the JW prohibition on eating blood seems to be contradicted by Mark 7:18: Are you still so dull?” He asked. “Do you not understand? Nothing that enters a man from the outside can defile him,
No as the law against eating blood was given to Noah for all mankind. Later the Mosaic law aplied to Judaism particularly but did not replace or end the law given to Noah. Then in Acts 15 a NEW law is given, including the prohibition against eating it and then expanding to to no blood at all in any way.

Quote:
True in that the OT is now a guide to us in many ways, helps us see the principles we need to use, understand why we are in such a mess, what God intends and how He is going to do it, and examples of what happens when we do not obey Him. The Laws given to Israel have ended, but the principles, prophecies, etc are still valid. Modern Jews definitely do not follow it, they can't. The temple is gone, no official records of who is even a Jew let alone a Levite, are gone so no one can serve as a priest let alone a High Priest. This fulfills Jesus words in Matt 23.

KJV Matthew 23:38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:51 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,449,282 times
Quote:
On forums, typing responses limits the ability to show emotion, etc, so it is necessary to avoid judging anyone when they are firm. It does not mean that no humility exists. I have to adjust some posts all the time, before posting, as I see that at times I may come across in a way far different than I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity