Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 03:07 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,440,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Enoch, Elijah, Mary, Jesus, Mohammad.
What makes You love them so much...That You must take them up into You...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 06:54 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,619,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post
How can the Catholics reconcile this "flesh and blood cannot inherit God’s kingdom, neither does corruption inherit incorruption.”—1Co 15:50-54.

With the concept that Mary was taken to heaven in human form? Again tradition overrides the scriptures.
if we start with bs we can finish with bs.

Literal bible is bs. Catholics do use "literal" claims to form up under, like a soccer club, they have to have team colors and believe they are the best. And the fans just follow along.

But since the "flesh" is not what they thought it was(2000 yrs ago), Flesh (as they taught) was never here so will not be there.

The "flesh" you speak of is "ignorance", once you know, you know. In to heaven you a-go ... It doesn't matter. lol, get it, a-go a-atheist.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:37 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,928,600 times
Quote:
What makes You love them so much...That You must take them up into You...

Elijah and Enoch did not enter Heaven( Gods dwelling place). The NT is clear--no mortal entered heaven( Gods dwelling place before Jesus did.( John 3:13)
In fact Elijah wrote a letter to the king, 10 years after the chariot event( 2Chron 21:12-15)--He was taken to another part of the earth( retired) Elisha took over as Prophet.
The word heaven is used in 3 different aspects in the bible-- Gods dwelling place, outer space, our atmosphere.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:29 PM

10,074 posts, read 4,995,238 times
Quote:
Enoch, Elijah, Mary, Jesus, Mohammad...when will it stop!!!
Since God sent the pre-human (heavenly) Jesus from heaven to earth, then when God resurrected Jesus he resurrected Jesus back into his pre-human spirit body. All the rest of us come from father Adam's physical body. (earthly)

Also, please keep in mind the word ' father' means life giver and Not life taker.
If you want to blame someone for death taker blame Satan - Hebrews 2:14 B.

As to when it (death) will stop, that will be under Christ's coming 1,000-year governmental rulership over Earth.

As far as the death of earthly Enoch, Elijah, Mohammed they are all still asleep in their graves - John 11:11-14
Like the faithful of Hebrews chapter 11 they have Not yet received God's promise - Hebrews 11:13,39
God's promise to father Abraham was Not heaven but being re-united here on Earth via an earthly resurrection.
A future healthy physical resurrection. That is why the ' future tense ' is used at Acts 24:15 that there ' is going to be ' a resurrection..... No one who died before Jesus died goes to heaven - John 3:13 - but a healthy earthy resurrection awaits them.- Daniel 12:2,13; Acts 2:34.

Jesus will fulfill God's promise that ALL families of Earth will be blessed - Genesis 12:3
That ALL nations of Earth will be blessed - Genesis 22:18
They will be blessed with the benefits of healing for earth's nations under Christ's millennium-long day of governing over Earth - Revelation 22:2 - Mankind on Earth will see the return of the Genesis ' tree of life ' for the healing of earth's nations when No one will say," I am sick....."- Isaiah 33:24. Even enemy death will be No more on Earth.
-Isaiah 25:8; 1st Cor. 15:26

Old 09-05-2016, 06:55 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,904,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
George, thanks so much for your answer. It is entirely possible that my understanding of the Catholic doctrine concerning Mary is wrong. Are you saying only that Catholics believe Mary went directly from Earth to Heaven, without having to spend any time at all in Purgatory, like everyone else? By the way, I don't believe in Purgatory either, but I don't believe anyone who dies goes immediately to Heaven. I believe in a spirit realm where everyone who has died is awaiting the resurrection. This would, of course, include Mary. Since my beliefs aren't really the subject of this thread, though, and I'm just trying to understand what Catholic teaching actually is, I'd appreciate any further insights you might be able to give me.
I know this post is old and George answered your question below, but as he mentioned, Catholics don't believe that everyone goes to Purgatory. Regarding purgatory, I struggled with that concept as a Catholic. The way all the priests that I know have described purgatory, is that it is a purification process. They have said that nobody knows how the dimensions of time/space work in the afterlife, so someone could be in purgatory for a matter of seconds or it could be longer. Nobody knows. Thinking of it as a place/process of purification is a little easier for me, though it's still a difficult concept.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:50 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,397,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Fact--your Dad is your Father--all of them are called Father--so it had to mean in a spiritual teacher sense
You are trying to have it both ways. First you claim that Catholics add material to the bible (they do) and are thus in error.

Then, you rapidly add material to the Bible yourself. You don't even see the irony that you obviously added material to the exact scripture quote you cited to illustrate Catholic errors.
Quote:
They have shown Jesus in their pictures as a sinner in front of all creation= long hair--Matt 23:9 it is a dishonor for a man to have long hair--Jesus would NEVER dishonor his Father.
Arguments regarding the hair length of Jesus, then factoring that what is, or is not, considered long hair can vary a lot among cultures. Heck, the definition of long hair can also vary a lot between the modern USMC and the USN.

All in all, the argument seems like a good one for the Pharisses (sp) to dwell on. Other people, however, should avoid these types of arguments.

Last edited by Cryptic; 09-08-2016 at 09:06 AM..

Old 09-08-2016, 10:36 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,471,763 times
Quote:
hey teach a non existent trinity god, misleading 2 billion straight to the lake of fire.
As well Gods word condemns the usage of statues and icons. They teach to bow down to a graven carved image of Jesus on a cross, when in fact, Jesus is sitting on his throne in heaven, he is not in any graven image.
They have shown Jesus in their pictures as a sinner in front of all creation= long hair--Matt 23:9 it is a dishonor for a man to have long hair--Jesus would NEVER dishonor his Father.
Your Arianism is showing?

On the second point, is the Incarnation a violation of the first commandment then? Iconoclasm was actually influenced by the emerging Islamic religion.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
You are trying to have it both ways. First you claim that Catholics add material to the bible (they do) and are thus in error.

Then, you rapidly add material to the Bible yourself. You don't even see the irony that you obviously added material to the exact scripture quote you cited to illustrate Catholic errors.

Arguments regarding the hair length of Jesus, then factoring that what is, or is not, considered long hair can vary a lot among cultures. Heck, the definition of long hair can also vary a lot between the modern USMC and the USN.

All in all, the argument seems like a good one for the Pharisses (sp) to dwell on. Other people, however, should avoid these types of arguments.

All DADS are called Father--the only other scenario where one could be called Father is in a spiritual teacher sense. It was not referring to a dad.

It does not matter what men say about length of hair. It only matters what God said. It is a dishonor for a man to have long hair.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Your Arianism is showing?

On the second point, is the Incarnation a violation of the first commandment then? Iconoclasm was actually influenced by the emerging Islamic religion.

Catholicism created the trinity god at their councils--it does not exist. 1Cor 8:6

Old 09-09-2016, 11:53 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,397,079 times
Quote:
All DADS are called Father--the only other scenario where one could be called Father is in a spiritual teacher sense. It was not referring to a dad.
Is that what the Bible says? Or, is that what you say?

You are missing the core point:

- First you state that the Pope adds material to the Bible (they do) and that this is wrong.
- To illustrate your point, you cite a scripture verse- then you add material to that same scripture verse.

Don't you see the irony?
Quote:
It only matters what God said. It is a dishonor for a man to have long hair.
Maybe, maybe not.

"Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard". - Leviticus 19:27

"Finally, Samson shared his secret with her. "My hair has never been cut," he confessed, "for I was dedicated to God as a Nazirite from birth." -Judges 16:17

As you can see, Leviticus states that men must have long hair in places. Do you have long hair in these places? Likewise, I don't know the length of Samson's hair, but I am guessing that it was pretty long.

Conversations like this really illustrate why any Rabbi will state that Judaism has never been a sola scriptura religion. Neither has Christianity.

Last edited by Cryptic; 09-09-2016 at 12:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity