Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2016, 12:53 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,642,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Fearing your parents is not healthy. I am simply using your words. You were whipped a lot. I am taking your words and you are now backing away from the severity of being whipped a lot.
well, you say "backing away from the severity," when my initial post is all about how physical punishment that i deserved did not turn me into a cat killer or whatever. Also, i don't recall saying that i was whipped "a lot," if i did, it was misconstrued also. I remember exactly one time getting undeserved physical punishment; the rest i had coming. And "fear of your parents is not healthy" does not mean that there is no such thing as healthy fear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I imagine you did not feel joy, or happiness while being whipped. I could be wrong.
this intimates that there was some solution in the moment that would have brought me joy, when it was doing what i wanted to do that was doing that already, and whatever method employed to stop me was not going to be joyful in the moment. I'm not sure what you would do with a kid in that situation? But i angled for beatings, because the alternative was less tolerable as far as i was concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 01:20 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,229,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I guess we'll just have to disagree. Buddy Rich was the greatest drummer of all time. Butch Miles is the greatest one still living (although he did have blood transfusions a few years ago).
As someone who played for years, including studio work, I'd have to put Alan Dawson up against anyone, even though he passed away several years ago. Yeah, Buddy Rich could power through on things and certainly had more chops than I ever could hope to have. But Alan Dawson was just the most amazing technical drummer I ever met. A drummer's drummer.

Last edited by cpg35223; 09-23-2016 at 01:29 PM..

Old 09-23-2016, 02:28 PM

15,897 posts, read 6,363,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
ok well all these are you explaining to me what i felt, and they are not true. You posit them as "decisions" when they were most often a complete lack of any decision. Yes, i learned fear, and i think it is ridiculous to say that fear does not have a place. I would certainly agree with you that fear should not be the primary motivator for a mature person, but there is such a thing as a "healthy fear."
1 John 4

…17In this way, love has been perfected among us, so that we may have confidence on the day of judgment; for in this world we are just like Him. 18There is no fear in love, but perfect love drives out fear, because fear involves punishment. The one who fears has not been perfected in love. 19We love because He first loved us.…

Old 09-23-2016, 03:18 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,240,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post

The promotion was allowed by my God, Jehovah.
The JW's have their own God?

That explains a lot.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:50 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,226,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

That explains a lot.
The JW organization has bluntly stated that those that read the Bible alone and don't read Watchtower literature do have a different understanding of who God is.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:01 PM

481 posts, read 263,602 times
Quote:

That explains a lot.
He is the one God, there are no other Gods but him, so the Bible tells us. But then again a lot of "Christians" have many gods, who is you current god or do you swap around fro one that suits your own ideas?

Old 09-23-2016, 05:12 PM

I see that these is a perception that if one has had a Blood transfusion before becoming a JW they are doomed. What you did in the past can be forgiven if true repentance is shown. Also, blood transfusions is a persons conscience choice, there are a lot of things taken into consideration.

It would be a very traumatic time for a JW to stand by the Bible principles in these cases, and it would be heartless for the elders to add disfellowshipping to the parents at the same time. OF all things, The Jws believe in the 11 commandment "Love one another". That love is very strong in the JW organisation.

You might like to look at the following site, which is a medical site:

Does autologous blood transfusion during liver transplantation for hepatocellular carcinoma increase risk of recurrence? - PubMed - NCBI

Old 09-23-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The JW organization has bluntly stated that those that read the Bible alone and don't read Watchtower literature do have a different understanding of who God is.
Not true: But the Bible does show that studying together is beneficial. It also states that were there are two or three gathered together to study and understand God's Word, Jehovah will be there.

There are many things in the Bible, written in the terminology of the day, that we might have trouble understanding by ourselves, so if other scholars are continually researching the scriptures and putting that research out in the Watchtower, is that wrong. You may as well condemn TheLancet too, while you are at it.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,240,559 times
Quote:
do you swap around fro one that suits your own ideas?
Nope.

I never even heard of swapping Gods. Sounds bizarre and kinky.....do you spend a lot of time coming up with these weird ideas or does the Watchtower Society put that stuff out?

Old 09-23-2016, 05:22 PM

63,943 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Quote:
That explains a lot.
Amen, Dew!
Quote:
He is the one God, there are no other Gods but him, so the Bible tells us. But then again a lot of "Christians" have many gods, who is you current god or do you swap around fro one that suits your own ideas?
There is only ONE God, but if you THINK the tyrannical very human egotist described in the OT as Jehovah is YOUR God, it is definitely NOT the ONE true God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity