Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 08:42 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,337,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post
You are right tdude, someone is watching you, Satan, and you please him enormously I would think by his cravings
I'd take Satan as a buddy any day over that psychotic case of arrested development you worship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 10:33 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,724,696 times
I appreciate the participation and replies, but sorry to see this thread descended into attack mode, pretty much like every thread on this forum does which is why I rarely come here anymore.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:47 AM

13,495 posts, read 18,284,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
I appreciate the participation and replies, but sorry to see this thread descended into attack mode, pretty much like every thread on this forum does which is why I rarely come here anymore.
Given the smugness of the first minute in which the woman opens her mouth, I think the reaction you deplore was inevitable. She is clearly looking down her nose at people who don't agree with her. So, I think you need to accept that she invites the kind of reaction that annoys you. The angels needs a better messenger....if, indeed, they need one at all.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Given the smugness of the first minute in which the woman opens her mouth, I think the reaction you deplore was inevitable. She is clearly looking down her nose at people who don't agree with her. So, I think you need to accept that she invites the kind of reaction that annoys you. The angels needs a better messenger....if, indeed, they need one at all.
I didn't sense her to be smug at all. Hmmm.... We all see and perceive things differently, for sure. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:53 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,648,808 times
dang, now i have to go watch it lol

Old 09-27-2016, 01:56 PM

well, i didn't detect smugness, but i hear "keep it a secret" and "my brother was reincarnated," so wadr i have to ask where you expect this to lead?

Old 09-27-2016, 06:07 PM

i mean i don't mean to be discouraging, i believe angels exist, but the implications of an authority figure telling a child they have to keep a secret alone should give you pause.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:41 PM

6,842 posts, read 2,871,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I hesitate to use the word "angel" because of its Christian connotations but I believe there are some discarnate entities.

I grew up believing in guardian angels. It may be a Catholic concept - dunno if other Christians denoms talk about them. And although I've dropped most of the trappings of my Catholic upbringing, I do sometimes think maybe somebody/thing benevolent is keeping an eye on me. If I was a cat, I'd be on about my 7th life by now.
I know what you mean. Under advisement of her therapist, mine has as little to do with me as possible.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:24 PM

1,478 posts, read 794,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Her name is Lorna Byrne and she wrote a book called "Angels in my Hair"

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssAmweLstLE"]

I had never heard of her before, but just happened upon this video and watched it with a lot of intrigue. I have always believed in angels for as long as I can remember -- similar to having been a believer in God for as far back as I can recall. I've never seen an angel. I wish I could see angels though. I have never heard an angel speak to me, but would welcome it.
Rain,

I was reared Catholic. My sympathies now are with Orthodox Christianity, namely the Coptic Orthodox who are part of the Oriental communion of Orthodox family.

I have not converted yet but I'm pretty sure I will. I need to take the footsteps and speak with a Coptic priest. The Coptics are old school tough. They fast throughout much of the year. So, that scares me.

Anyways, you need to know Catholicism is in a state of confusion.

I could not watch that whole video as it was dragging on about nothing to me. So, I fast forward the video a few times, skipping around the video. At about the 20:15 minute mark the woman states that humans are a billion times worth more than Angels. I believe this is theologically incorrect if I recall correctly. Angels are greater than humans. Minus Christ and His Holy Mother.

I looked her up on Wikipedia too. I get the impression she preaches heresy. But I'm not 100 percent sure.

I try not to trivialize the torture and brutal death of Jesus by suggesting that angels just come to people like me--or this woman--and tell us that God just wants to say we all are great people, perfect, and need just to hug and love each other. Because if that were the case the hard life of Jesus and his brutal whippings, crowning, and nailing to the cross was not needed.

Also, I reject the notion serial killers are "innocent" and "perfect" or that mother that was arrested for pimping her 10 or 11 year-old daughter out to men, getting her daughter shot up with heroin, and by her own admission she "got off" sexually watching her daughter get sexually molested. So, this man and his female cousin nude red the little girl after raping her on her birthday and then chopped her body up into pieces. I reject the notion this woman is equal to Mother Teresa of Calcutta or the Holy Mother of God.

Also, her comments at the end of the video is something that would appeal to American Protestants. Traditional Catholicism believes in universality, no country above the Church, and it was historically Protestantism that was into nationalism.

The Orthodox believe in universality too but via creating ethnic Churches. Americans are not creating a "new race." This doesn't even stand scientifically via the science of anthropology. My opinion is this woman markets her story to emotionally appeal to her audiences.

Today there are a lot of con-women in Catholicism. Just a forewarning. There are con-men too in Catholicism. And the conartist are both liberal and conservative Catholics. The liberal conartists appeal to liberal Catholics and the conservative conartists appeal to conservative Catholics. They just tell each group what they want to hear--tapping into their biased emotions.

I think--as an imperfect analogy--as some boxing coaches might teach boxers. When finally finding yourself in a confused battle where you don't know what to do because nothing you are doing is working, then "fall back on" the basics some of the coaches might advise.

So, I'm saying, in Christianity when all these new, "cool," "hip," "slick" prophets of a "new" and enlightened Christianity emerge teaching things that one is confused about, fall back on the basics.

Yes, guardian angels exist. But so do fallen angels. Heaven exists but so does hell. Fall back to the basics. Pray not to this woman but to Christ himself. The Holy Mother of God only points her children to her son Christ himself, and not to "every religion on earth," as this woman seems to be doing.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
Rain,

I was reared Catholic. My sympathies now are with Orthodox Christianity, namely the Coptic Orthodox who are part of the Oriental communion of Orthodox family.

I have not converted yet but I'm pretty sure I will. I need to take the footsteps and speak with a Coptic priest. The Coptics are old school tough. They fast throughout much of the year. So, that scares me.

Anyways, you need to know Catholicism is in a state of confusion.

I could not watch that whole video as it was dragging on about nothing to me. So, I fast forward the video a few times, skipping around the video. At about the 20:15 minute mark the woman states that humans are a billion times worth more than Angels. I believe this is theologically incorrect if I recall correctly. Angels are greater than humans. Minus Christ and His Holy Mother.

I looked her up on Wikipedia too. I get the impression she preaches heresy. But I'm not 100 percent sure.

I try not to trivialize the torture and brutal death of Jesus by suggesting that angels just come to people like me--or this woman--and tell us that God just wants to say we all are great people, perfect, and need just to hug and love each other. Because if that were the case the hard life of Jesus and his brutal whippings, crowning, and nailing to the cross was not needed.

Also, I reject the notion serial killers are "innocent" and "perfect" or that mother that was arrested for pimping her 10 or 11 year-old daughter out to men, getting her daughter shot up with heroin, and by her own admission she "got off" sexually watching her daughter get sexually molested. So, this man and his female cousin nude red the little girl after raping her on her birthday and then chopped her body up into pieces. I reject the notion this woman is equal to Mother Teresa of Calcutta or the Holy Mother of God.

Also, her comments at the end of the video is something that would appeal to American Protestants. Traditional Catholicism believes in universality, no country above the Church, and it was historically Protestantism that was into nationalism.

The Orthodox believe in universality too but via creating ethnic Churches. Americans are not creating a "new race." This doesn't even stand scientifically via the science of anthropology. My opinion is this woman markets her story to emotionally appeal to her audiences.

Today there are a lot of con-women in Catholicism. Just a forewarning. There are con-men too in Catholicism. And the conartist are both liberal and conservative Catholics. The liberal conartists appeal to liberal Catholics and the conservative conartists appeal to conservative Catholics. They just tell each group what they want to hear--tapping into their biased emotions.

I think--as an imperfect analogy--as some boxing coaches might teach boxers. When finally finding yourself in a confused battle where you don't know what to do because nothing you are doing is working, then "fall back on" the basics some of the coaches might advise.

So, I'm saying, in Christianity when all these new, "cool," "hip," "slick" prophets of a "new" and enlightened Christianity emerge teaching things that one is confused about, fall back on the basics.

Yes, guardian angels exist. But so do fallen angels. Heaven exists but so does hell. Fall back to the basics. Pray not to this woman but to Christ himself. The Holy Mother of God only points her children to her son Christ himself, and not to "every religion on earth," as this woman seems to be doing.
I appreciate your thoughtful analysis and reply. I never said I believe this woman. I certainly would never pray to a human being or even an angel. I just wondered what people's thoughts were about angels and about what this woman says about angels. Thanks for taking the time to share your sincere thoughts. I appreciate it. I'm not looking for something new to follow or believe - I just happened upon this video and wanted to get some feedback on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity