Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 10:40 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,708,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
i mean i don't mean to be discouraging, i believe angels exist, but the implications of an authority figure telling a child they have to keep a secret alone should give you pause.
Yes, that thing about the "secret" did give me pause. I just wonder if this woman truly believes what she is saying and if she is "seeing things" (angels). Most of the time if someone hears voices or has hallucinations, people categorize them as having a mental problem. I am hesitant to do that because I do not know what this woman is experiencing or if she is just a con-woman tying to sell books. I do not judge people as if I know everything. I don't need to pass judgement. I was interested in what others thought about the video. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I do not believe every soul is going to be taken into the Holy of holies in heaven upon death. I believe we still have a spiritual journey after death. Hopefully there will be angels and maybe loved ones there to help us - I'm not really sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 11:42 PM

6,791 posts, read 2,899,606 times
I've presented this story previously and I do so again because it's appropriate given the thread title.

It's called: "The Day We Saw The Angels" by Dr. S. Ralph Harlow.

https://www.guideposts.org/inspirati...els?nopaging=1

It was not Christmas, it was not even wintertime, when the event occurred that for me threw sudden new light on the ancient angel tale. It was a glorious spring morning and we were walking, my wife and I, through the newly budded birches and maples near Ballardvale, Massachusetts.

Now I realize that this, like any account of personal experience, is only as valid as the good sense and honesty of the person relating it.

What can I say about myself? That I am a scholar who shuns guesswork and admires scientific investigation? That I have an A.B. from Harvard, an M.A. from Columbia, a Ph.D. from Hartford Theological Seminary? That I have never been subject to hallucinations? That attorneys have solicited my testimony, and I have testified in the courts, regarded by judge and jury as a faithful, reliable witness?

All this is true and yet I doubt that any amount of such credentials can influence the belief or disbelief of another.

In the long run, each of us must sift what comes to us from others through his own life experience, his view of the universe, his understanding. And so I will simply tell my story.

The little path on which Marion and I walked that morning was spongy to our steps and we held hands with the sheer delight of life as we strolled near a lovely brook.

It was May, and because it was the examination reading period for students at Smith College where I was a professor, we were able to get away for a few days to visit Marion’s parents.

We frequently took walks in the country, and we especially loved the spring after a hard New England winter, for it is then that the fields and the woods are radiant and calm yet show new life bursting from the earth.

This day we were especially happy and peaceful; we chatted sporadically, with great gaps of satisfying silence between our sentences.

Then from behind us we heard the murmur of muted voices in the distance, and I said to Marion, “We have company in the woods this morning.”

Marion nodded and turned to look. We saw nothing, but the voices were coming nearer—at a faster pace than we were walking—and we knew that the strangers would soon overtake us. Then we perceived that the sounds were not only behind us but above us, and we looked up.

How can I describe what we felt? Is it possible to tell of the surge of exaltation that ran through us? Is it possible to record this phenomenon in objective accuracy and yet be credible?

For about 10 feet above us, and slightly to our left, was a floating group of glorious, beautiful creatures that glowed with spiritual beauty. We stopped and stared as they passed above us.

There were six of them, young beautiful women dressed in flowing white garments and engaged in earnest conversation If they were aware of our existence they gave no indication of it. Their faces were perfectly clear to us, and one woman, slightly older than the rest, was especially beautiful.

Her dark hair was pulled back in what today we would call a ponytail, and although cannot say it was bound at the back of her head, it appeared to be. She was talking intently to a younger spirit whose back was toward us and who looked up into the face of the woman who was talking.

Neither Marion nor I could understand their words although their voices were clearly heard. The sound was somewhat like hearing but being unable to understand a group of people talking outside a house with all the windows and doors shut.

They seemed to float past us, and their graceful motion seemed natural—as gentle and peaceful as the morning itself. As they passed, their conversation grew fainter and fainter until it faded out entirely, and we stood transfixed on the spot, still holding hands and still with the vision before our eyes.

It would be an understatement to say that we were astounded. Then we looked at each other, each wondering if the other also had seen.

There was a fallen birch tree just there beside the path. We sat down on it and I said, “Marion, what did you see? Tell me exactly, in precise detail. And tell me what you heard.”

She knew my intent—to test my own eyes and ears to see if I had been the victim of hallucination or imagination. And her reply was identical in every respect to what my own senses had reported to me.

I have related this story with the same faithfulness and respect for truth and accuracy as I would tell it on the witness stand. But even as I record it I know how incredible it sounds.

Perhaps I can claim no more for it than that it has had a deep effect on our own lives. For this experience of almost 30 years ago greatly altered our thinking. Once both Marion and I were somewhat skeptical about the absolute accuracy of the details at the birth of Christ.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:57 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,371,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Her name is Lorna Byrne and she wrote a book called "Angels in my Hair"
Yeah I have heard of her. She was interviewed not once, but twice, by Ireland's most popular weekly late night talk show called "The late late show".

And I think it horrifically dangerous for a national broadcaster to do such a thing. Many people watching that show will be suffering from medical and mental conditions. Many of them involving hearing voices.

Such people should be admonished to seek professional and medical advice. Yet here we have our national broadcaster not only failing to do that, but LEGITIMIZING the voices in peoples heads by suggesting they have supernatural, even divine, origins.

So now people suffering from voices in their head not only will fail to seek help, but the requests and admonishments these voices visit upon the sufferer...... sometimes even suggestions of a murderous or dangerous intent.......... are legitimized as being from an authoritative and divine origin.

And if and when such people go out and follow through on the more malicious and dangerous forms of those voices......... Lorna Byrne, the national broadcaster, and other people perpetrating this stuff..... genuinely have blood on their hands too.

The Bible itself is guilty of this, and many of the people who teach the Bible, too. Take the story of Abraham being asked by voices in his head to murder his son. Not only are the voices in his head legitimized as having divine origin..... we teach the story as being laudable and praiseworthy that he was entirely willing to follow through on it.

And while everyone has the right to their religion and opinion and so forth..... perpetrating this dangerous nonsense is not something we should condone. The FIRST port of call for anyone hearing things in their head should be medical advice, followed by a second and third opinion where possible. Divine or theological explanations for those voices should be the last port of call when anything potentially dangerous or debilitating is ruled out first. Look after yourselves people.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:59 PM

1,478 posts, read 788,035 times
Quote:
I appreciate your thoughtful analysis and reply. I never said I believe this woman. I certainly would never pray to a human being or even an angel. I just wondered what people's thoughts were about angels and about what this woman says about angels. Thanks for taking the time to share your sincere thoughts. I appreciate it. I'm not looking for something new to follow or believe - I just happened upon this video and wanted to get some feedback on it.
Good luck on your inquiry, Rain. After all, we are assured by our Lord that "seek and we shall find" and "knock and the door will be opened."

Although, due to my tradition and sympathies, I do pray to angels.

I pray to my guardian angel and to St. Michael the Archangel. Good friends to have by your side.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:06 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,637,017 times
Quote:
Yes, that thing about the "secret" did give me pause. I just wonder if this woman truly believes what she is saying and if she is "seeing things" (angels). Most of the time if someone hears voices or has hallucinations, people categorize them as having a mental problem. I am hesitant to do that because I do not know what this woman is experiencing or if she is just a con-woman tying to sell books. I do not judge people as if I know everything. I don't need to pass judgement. I was interested in what others thought about the video. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I do not believe every soul is going to be taken into the Holy of holies in heaven upon death. I believe we still have a spiritual journey after death. Hopefully there will be angels and maybe loved ones there to help us - I'm not really sure.
i find a good case for degrees of "heaven" and "hell" in the afterlife, so i think i am agreeing with you. The woman might very likely be seeing...something that is there--as opposed to hallucinating, iow--but devils are angels, too, right, and they appear as light to us, i guess.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:08 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
Good luck on your inquiry, Rain. After all, we are assured by our Lord that "seek and we shall find" and "knock and the door will be opened."

Although, due to my tradition and sympathies, I do pray to angels.

I pray to my guardian angel and to St. Michael the Archangel. Good friends to have by your side.
But isn't Christ the ONLY intercessor between mortal and God????

Old 09-29-2016, 01:17 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,637,017 times
zing! i just assumed he wasn't trying to get to God lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity