Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 07:23 PM

19,979 posts, read 13,459,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Maybe it is no different. Right now.

Yet.

What if god is still in the process of evolving - as is everything - and has no concept of self but just a giant, amorphous, all/us-ness?

An ever-growing consciousness sponge.
I still don't see any advantage to such a belief. It wouldn't explain experienced reality or predict what one can expect from it, and it wouldn't be testable. It's simply a speculative idea about what a god might be like.

What I'm fishing for, really, is just what this does for you. Does it give you hope? Give you an explanatory framework for anything? Provide some form of transcendence? You clearly choose to believe it rather than not to. Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 07:24 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,154,471 times
Quote:
Not thrill. Don't play him on the interweb. Nor do I consider myself a deist. But will take a crack at your qs anyhow.

Maybe it is no different. Right now.

Yet.

What if god is still in the process of evolving - as is everything - and has no concept of self but just a giant, amorphous, all/us-ness?

An ever-growing consciousness sponge.

Just a (recurring) thought.
How would such a god be any different than no god at all?

I think that was mordant's rhetorical question/point.

Old 11-05-2016, 08:51 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I still don't see any advantage to such a belief. It wouldn't explain experienced reality or predict what one can expect from it, and it wouldn't be testable. It's simply a speculative idea about what a god might be like.

What I'm fishing for, really, is just what this does for you. Does it give you hope? Give you an explanatory framework for anything? Provide some form of transcendence? You clearly choose to believe it rather than not to. Why?
I don't believe it.

I'm exploring the concept.

Old 11-05-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
How would such a god be any different than no god at all?

I think that was mordant's rhetorical question/point.
Why does everyone assume a "God" has to be an agent of change and not a product of it?

Old 11-05-2016, 11:23 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
You're telling me why you believe in an afterlife, which has nothing really to do with why you believe in a deity, which is not really my question either.

I grant that you believe in a non-interventionist, impersonal, indifferent and possibly absent god. My question is, how is such a god different for all practical purposes from no god whatsoever?

Such a deity would do nothing for humanity, would make no claims upon it, and would not intervene in the affairs of men. So ... what's the point of such a belief? Why hold it, as opposed to going full atheist?

You could be an atheist and still believe in an afterlife with a naturalistic explanation. Many people believe that an afterlife is just part of the normal operation of the universe, much like a parallel dimension or something, or they believe that consciousness is somehow conserved someplace according to natural laws that we don't currently understand or know about. So belief in an afterlife is a separate matter from belief in a deity.
I cannot mentally separate the two, mordant. In my mind it's like separating a Cartier watch I found from realizing that a "something" or a "someone" made this watch--that the watch didn't just make itself. I think your question is valid: what's the point in believing in a God if this God doesn't do a thing? I cannot get that far in my thought process. I piece the two together and it doesn't make any sense to me either. My faculties only carry me as far as the the universe is here; it operates with some sort of synchronicity; we're here; I see no way we evolved from a clump of molecules that grew into a highly organized assembly of approximately 2 trillion molecules, which this cell in turn infused itself with life and then learned to replicate itself into a highly organized organism of an extremely specialized group of diverse cells that learned to work together to create a human being and not just one, but two that fit perfectly together to mix their chromosomes to make a new version of both of them. This is a huge digression but I just want to voice the incredible complexity of everything we see in this world--the plant kingdom, the animal kingdom, how both are symbiotic and cooperate with each other in most instances. When I try to reason all this out I just don't see all this coming about without some guiding hand.

Also I wonder what this "Light" is that all NDE'er say they go into. It has to be some kind of loving Being that has intelligence. I can't get beyond that. I just figure there enough testimony to make me think there's something there. One has to listen to these thousands of testimonies of a wide diversity of people who swear this experience was more real than real. Dreams just don't carry that kind of conviction in a person's mind. Clearly these millions of people from all over the world didn't get together and conspire to make all this up.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:30 AM

18,490 posts, read 9,154,471 times
Quote:
Why does everyone assume a "God" has to be an agent of change and not a product of it?
My point was, how is the concept of a god you described above any different (for all practical purposes) than no god at all?

How would an impersonal pantheistic thing, whether it changed or not, be relevant at all?

Old 11-06-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
My point was, how is the concept of a god you described above any different (for all practical purposes) than no god at all?

How would an impersonal pantheistic thing, whether it changed or not, be relevant at all?
It seems most humans cannot loosen their grasp on what a god is "supposed to be" even if they don't believe one exists.

Is a newborn relevant? It can't do much of anything. Can't communicate (in words). Is virtually immobile. Even rudimentary math is beyond its ken.

But of course none would classify a baby that way. It may be nothing more than a crying, drooling, pooping blob to an alien but we understand that the baby will one day evolve into an adult and be unrecognizable from its current form in virtually every respect.

A god-thing, maybe a sort of Cosmic Consciousness, may be in its infancy and if we are in some way a part of it, it seems logical that as we evolve, so must it. As our understanding of the universe broadens and deepens, so might our understanding of what constitutes God.

Maybe.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:16 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,386,780 times
Quote:
It seems most humans cannot loosen their grasp on what a god is "supposed to be" even if they don't believe one exists.

Is a newborn relevant? It can't do much of anything. Can't communicate (in words). Is virtually immobile. Even rudimentary math is beyond its ken.

But of course none would classify a baby that way. It may be nothing more than a crying, drooling, pooping blob to an alien but we understand that the baby will one day evolve into an adult and be unrecognizable from its current form in virtually every respect.

A god-thing, maybe a sort of Cosmic Consciousness, may be in its infancy and if we are in some way a part of it, it seems logical that as we evolve, so must it. As our understanding of the universe broadens and deepens, so might our understanding of what constitutes God.

Maybe.
Any thoughts on what may have birthed this Cosmic Consciousness?

Old 11-06-2016, 11:18 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,279,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Any thoughts on what may have birthed this Cosmic Consciousness?
Desire!.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:27 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,386,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Desire!.
What did the desiring?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity