Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 01:26 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times

Advertisements

As a Catholic, I am asked this question on occasion and decided to ask the same question on this forum.

Asking for the dead to pray for us is viewed by Catholics as casually as asking a friend to pray for us to God. Since the dead are in the presence of God, why not ask your dead mother to pray with you and for you to God?

This doesn't seem to be just a Catholic view since I have attended both Lutheran and Episcopal funerals where God is asked to receive the dead person into heaven and prayers are offered for all who have died in faith and for the saints to pray for us.

Anyone have another opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 03:49 PM

23,017 posts, read 34,387,993 times
I personally do not believe the dead can hear us and I do not believe you can pray for someone after they are dead.

I left a major word out of my original post!

Last edited by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA; 02-23-2008 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: left out word

Old 02-23-2008, 04:15 PM

14,885 posts, read 17,164,304 times
Quote:
As a Catholic, I am asked this question on occasion and decided to ask the same question on this forum.

Asking for the dead to pray for us is viewed by Catholics as casually as asking a friend to pray for us to God. Since the dead are in the presence of God, why not ask your dead mother to pray with you and for you to God?

This doesn't seem to be just a Catholic view since I have attended both Lutheran and Episcopal funerals where God is asked to receive the dead person into heaven and prayers are offered for all who have died in faith and for the saints to pray for us.

Anyone have another opinion?

I believe that some Christians do pray to the dead but I believe that the dead are actually dead and that they do not hear our prayers. I believe that they will come to life at the resurrection. This is why the resurrection is so important Here are some scripture references for my belief. God bless.

PSALM 146:3 Do not trust in princes, in mortal man, in whom there is no salvation. 4 His spirit departs, he returns to the earth; in that very day his thoughts perish. (NASB)

ACTS 2:29 "Men and brethren, let me speak freely to you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his tomb is with us to this day. . . . 34 For David did not ascend into the heavens" . . . (NKJV)

JOHN 11:11 These things He said, and after that He said to them, "Our friend Lazarus sleeps, but I go that I may wake him up." 12 Then His disciples said, "Lord, if he sleeps he will get well." 13 However, Jesus spoke of his death, but they thought that He was speaking about taking rest in sleep. 14 Then Jesus said to them plainly, "Lazarus is dead." (NKJV)

JOHN 5:28 Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice 29 and come forth, those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of judgment. (RSV)

I CORINTHIANS 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption. 51 Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed -- 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: "Death is swallowed up in victory." (NKJV)

I THESSALONIANS 4:15 According to the Lord's own word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left till the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air…(NIV)

John 3:13”And no one has ascended into heaven, but He who descended from heaven, even the Son of Man.” (NAS)

1 Timothy 6:15-16. “…He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings, and Lord of lords, who alone possesses immortality…” (NAS)

Old 02-23-2008, 07:55 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,785 times
Nope.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:33 PM

932 posts, read 1,274,075 times
I can't say that I pray to the dead...although I have asked my uncle Bobby (who my son is named after- my uncle was killed by a drunk driver when I was 12) to help us out on occasion.

I don't think he heard me though. lol

Old 02-23-2008, 09:10 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,867,648 times
Many Orthodox Christians spend hours at the grave sites of relatives and friends. We bring chairs, tables, food, drinks and have a lunch, putting a plate out for the dead. We pray for the dead regularly and have special prayers for them.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:12 PM

14,885 posts, read 17,164,304 times
What do you pray for when you pray for them, Lisak64? Just asking. Thanks and God bless.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:37 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
What do you pray for when you pray for them, Lisak64? Just asking. Thanks and God bless.
We pray that "Light Eternal shine upon them and that they rest in the peace of Christ.

Purgatory is really downplayed & many priests deny it as a Christian belief. We both pray that our loved ones are in God's presence and believe that our loved ones pray for us. Not that everyone is a saint like the Virgin Mary and apostles but everyone is with God. Catholics have a huge prayer belief of worshiping angels and saints [the concept of sainthood is much broader than what Protestants believe. We acknowledge the very special persons among us as examples of a holy life and sacrifice for the faith and all mankind who now serve God in heaven and pray for us who are on earth.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:59 AM

738 posts, read 1,884,589 times
I personally do not pray for the dead.
Scripturally; death is a state of non-existence. The dead have no awareness-no feelings-no thoughts.

ECCLESIASTES 9:5 "For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not anything, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."

PSALMS 146:4 "His breath goes forth, he returneth to his earth: in that very day his thoughts do perish."

Old 02-26-2008, 09:52 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,732 times
Pray to the dead? Pray for the dead?
Pray in collaboration with the 'dead/sleeping,' maybe.
There was a great multitude in Rev. 7 v. 9 who arise out of the tribulation. We know these are animate beings, but they are dead. I don't think this was the first or second resurrection just yet.
This puts a different twist on the dead thing (ye shall be transformed, from perishable to imperishable, those who are sleeping, the dead will be changed in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye - I Cor 15). But I don't think the argument of prayers of the saints ascending is finished.
My brother who lives in NJ may pray for me. My pop who lives in heaven may pray for me. It doesn't break me or make me a saint to believe in praying with the dead/the saints. But then, smoking doesn't break me or make me a saint. However, pigs don't do any of this, and they are not any more holy.
This can quickly become a source of quotations, angst, and division.
Is the OP seeking a pure doctrine or conscience? I'm not sure either exist after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity