Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 05:56 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,339,491 times

Advertisements

Lets get to the real TRUTH of this salvation, saved by grace via penal substitution story..

All those who profess some kind of salvation based on whatever reason--is the IDEA of a life in the hereafter the ONLY reason for your "relationship" with your god / Christ / entity?

I mean, if god took salvation off the table, would your zealousness still be as strong?

After being in the center of the god / Christ / salvation cult for nearly 20 years (1980--1997) before my understanding was broadened, the main drive of nearly EVERY evangelical was to convince others that there is life after death and that this life can be the beginning of an even greater one in paradise / heaven.

Which has me wondering, isn't this push for salvation, life eternity just a whole lot SELFISH?

Has the evangelical zealots clung so tightly to this idea of eternity that so many have forgotten the rest of the story / plan?

How would your life and expectations of the future be changed if salvation was no longer an issue?

What would your "cross" look like and what would others see as you went through everyday life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 08:31 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,647,490 times
ya, although you haven't put it in maybe the most approachable way, Western Christianity does seem to engender and encourage a selfish, navel-gazing type of pseudo-salvation. This has been remarked upon by smarter men than me; i think Gandhi has a discourse about how this approach--really only recognizing others in terms of their need for your "help"--um, "ceases to be moral," is about the only phrase i can remember. It is quite compelling imo--unless, of course, you are committed to a Plastic Jesus, in which case Gandhi is immediately dismissed.

Any action that is dictated by fear or by coercion of any kind ceases to be moral….Freedom of the individual is at the root of all progress.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:40 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,647,490 times
but really, you aren't ever going to convince fence sitters, whose life in every respect mirrors those in the world, who yet claim Christ, that they are the blind leading the blind, imo. I mean if i am a Fundie pastor with a nice car, nice house, respect, money etc., why should i change?

Old 10-06-2016, 08:42 AM

20,478 posts, read 12,873,956 times
Because we humans are flawed (obvious to all), our most important need is to be redeemed or put into right relationship with our creator. Then and only then can we do works that please our Father.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Because we humans are flawed (obvious to all), our most important need is to be redeemed or put into right relationship with our creator. Then and only then can we do works that please our Father.
I sincerely believe that LIVING LIFE is what pleases the God I know...

Again, the point is WHAT would change if salvation was no longer an issue?

Old 10-06-2016, 09:39 AM

20,478 posts, read 12,873,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I sincerely believe that LIVING LIFE is what pleases the God I know...

Again, the point is WHAT would change if salvation was no longer an issue?
According to Jesus, we would remain under condemnation. (John 3)

Old 10-06-2016, 09:40 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,503,725 times
Quote:
And those who have no relationship with God and His son have no hope for the future, and can't stand that others do. They also claim they have a relationship and do only what they want.

They are like parents who would never offer their children a reward for doing something asked and within their ability. OR like expecting an employer to pay you and you do ... nothing for him. They are so self focused.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:04 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,081,127 times
Of course nothing would change. Would you hate your natural father forever just because he took something away from you? Peace

Old 10-06-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
According to Jesus, we would remain under condemnation. (John 3)
So we are not fixed. We really are not a NEW CREATION?

SO the question is, how would you live your life is salvation were no longer the selling point for interacting with Christ..

Is salvation the ONLY justification for claiming a relationship with god. If your god just announced--ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS HELP OTHERS...would that satisfy your need and would that be the basis for a relationship with your god?

Old 10-06-2016, 10:20 AM

37,347 posts, read 28,430,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
but really, you aren't ever going to convince fence sitters, whose life in every respect mirrors those in the world, who yet claim Christ, that they are the blind leading the blind, imo. I mean if i am a Fundie pastor with a nice car, nice house, respect, money etc., why should i change?
Or why would they drown out the inner voice, so much so they wouldn't even recognize it, even if it shouted out to them from the rooftops. Nothing wrong with nice house, nice car and money..... they just don't compare to peace of mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity