Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 12:27 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,642,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Is "liberal" denegrating?
not that i am aware of. but it is a political term imo. Ergo, perfectly reasonable in a religious discussion, has no place in a spiritual discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
And I read it while cross-referencing with other scripture.
hey, i'd say that that is surely the best way, but i don't think sight should be lost of the fact that the way one interprets reveals their heart. Might that verse be solely about the change of dispensation, from Jew to Gentile? maybe, but this seems needlessly restrictive to me. I suggest that i could build a seemingly neutral cross-reference to make just about any point i wanted.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
And I read it while cross-referencing with other scripture.
what i really want to know is does "Love your neighbor" fulfill all of the requirements for salvation? according to the people that will be...i dunno, babysitting my children? Or how about to you?

Old 10-06-2016, 12:54 PM

689 posts, read 550,816 times
Christianity is about an advocate that God has a designed purpose for humans as part of His plan in creating an eternity where humans and angels will live with Him forever. At the time when His plan is fulfilled, humans will be divided into the qualified to be in this realm with others not.

What's that to do with selfishness?

It's more or less like you purpose a group of pets, then you put those appeared to be good ones to one place those aggressive ones to the other. What's that to do with the selfishness of your pets?

Old 10-06-2016, 01:01 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,827,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
what i really want to know is does "Love your neighbor" fulfill all of the requirements for salvation? according to the people that will be...i dunno, babysitting my children? Or how about to you?
Works, by themselves, no.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
not that i am aware of. but it is a political term imo. Ergo, perfectly reasonable in a religious discussion, has no place in a spiritual discussion.
It's also a theological term.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Works, by themselves, no.
yet Christ said "Love your neighbor; this fulfills the law and prophets." hmm.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
It's also a theological term.
oh, let's be honest; they start as meaningful descriptors, and end as meaningless terms of denigration, to indicate separation, "the other guys." I say "fundie" when i really mean "religious," or "literalist," myself. We argue and magnify differences, when we are all essentially alike, and have much more in common than not.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:36 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,228,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Lets get to the real TRUTH of this salvation, saved by grace via penal substitution story..

All those who profess some kind of salvation based on whatever reason--is the IDEA of a life in the hereafter the ONLY reason for your "relationship" with your god / Christ / entity?

I mean, if god took salvation off the table, would your zealousness still be as strong?

After being in the center of the god / Christ / salvation cult for nearly 20 years (1980--1997) before my understanding was broadened, the main drive of nearly EVERY evangelical was to convince others that there is life after death and that this life can be the beginning of an even greater one in paradise / heaven.

Which has me wondering, isn't this push for salvation, life eternity just a whole lot SELFISH?

Has the evangelical zealots clung so tightly to this idea of eternity that so many have forgotten the rest of the story / plan?

How would your life and expectations of the future be changed if salvation was no longer an issue?

What would your "cross" look like and what would others see as you went through everyday life?
Take that away and the nature of God changes. Your question doesn't make sense--because God didn't tell us to just do good works just because...we do them to honor him and in grattitude for what he did for us.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
yet Christ said "Love your neighbor; this fulfills the law and prophets." hmm.
Can you do that while rejecting Christ and still be saved?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity