Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should The Church Get Rid Of Priests?
Yes, the church should be like before 3 18.75%
No, the hierarchy is important 5 31.25%
Maybe, something else 2 12.50%
I'm not in favor of the church itself 6 37.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 07:15 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,369,394 times

Advertisements

Or, Should We Have Priests?

I'm reading a book called Why Priests? A Failed Tradition, which basically asserts that before the formalized priesthood, most of the members were organized in a sort of egalitarian system versus the heavy hierarchy we see today. They had no priests, they met in gatherings,and the term Christian was not even used. They were called Followers or Learners. That this system of priests is messed up because it causes the Church to become dependent on others to tell them what to believe.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 07:46 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,639,004 times
I'm not Popish
even though i love this new Pope does he rock, or what
so i don't like to comment on that
but doesn't the Bible say
that we are all priests now?
so ya, i guess i agree anyway.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:50 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
What do you think?
I'm a Quaker. What do you think I think?

Old 11-02-2016, 08:13 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
I found your choices very odd, to say the least.

Yes, the Church should be like before
No, the hierarchy is important

What in the world makes you think "like before" didn't involve a hierarchy? There was a very specific, very definite hierarchy in the original Church. Peter was generally assumed to have been Jesus' choice to stand at the head of the Church after His (Christ's) death. He and the other Apostles were to have formed the foundation of the Church, Jesus Christ being the chief cornerstone. Paul describes prophets, pastors, teachers, and evangelists as all having a role in the organizational structure of the Church. He further stated that this structure was to remain in place until all Christians became united in their faith. Has that happened yet? Hell, no! What has happened instead? Just as Paul prophesied would be the case, Christ's followers would end up being like children "tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine." That's precisely what happens when you have a "priesthood of all believers." Jesus Christ gave the keys of authority to Peter, not to every one of His many disciples.

Okay, Mystic... Bring it on!

Old 11-02-2016, 08:14 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I'm a Quaker.
I didn't know that! Well, you're a credit to your denomination, Nate.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:28 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,639,004 times
yes, i'm impressed

Old 11-03-2016, 02:42 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,024,985 times
The church were I go and many other come to realize that believers are all to the priesthood of Jesus Christ in the spiritual way of God , and there are leader of the church but believer need to seek God out for themselves instead of a mediator to God type Priest .... Then there is still the Leviticus 14 priestly prayer where Christians who are weak in the Lord can go a get prayer , but are still called to seek God out for their needs by themselves ....... See most believer are called to be priest to Jesus and then there are people who are builders of Christ and called to be Kingdom of Heaven builders were Jesus will have the resources to help build churches and grow them through their calling of Christ

Old 11-03-2016, 03:29 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,029,375 times
16Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 17Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah! For this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by My Father in heaven. 18And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it.

The rock is the revealed truth of the Christ made MANIFEST in Peter - the essence of one’s own sonship - not the patriarchal / hierarchical interpretations of mortal minds – some guy higher up the food chain than me. We are tossed back and forth by every wind of doctrine when we are TOLD what to do or believe by men, but when we KNOW who we are, we are as secure as a rock. The 5 fold ministry are gifts for edification, not offices unto and for structure. One level of mutual submission in the body, unto the Head. God is not mocked – EVERYTHING that exalts itself WILL be brought low. The hierarchical priesthood will be burned like chaff - we have seen it, are seeing it and will yet see it.

Old 11-03-2016, 03:41 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

What in the world makes you think "like before" didn't involve a hierarchy?
There was a very specific, very definite hierarchy in the original Church. Peter was generally assumed to have been Jesus' choice to stand at the head of the Church after His (Christ's) death. He and the other Apostles were to have formed the foundation of the Church, Jesus Christ being the chief cornerstone. Paul describes prophets, pastors, teachers, and evangelists as all having a role in the organizational structure of the Church. He further stated that this structure was to remain in place until all Christians became united in their faith. Has that happened yet? Hell, no! What has happened instead? Just as Paul prophesied would be the case, Christ's followers would end up being like children "tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine." That's precisely what happens when you have a "priesthood of all believers." Jesus Christ gave the keys of authority to Peter, not to every one of His many disciples.

The bolded is answered by the fact that it didn't: all of the jobs you mention are not hierachial in nature, just talents and calling for the work of the local body....except for apostles, whose calling is to go out to areas to establish new bodies. The only hint of hierarchy is a BODY of elders whose job was to keep the flock on track, not to rule over it, and they were ONLY doing so in their local congregation. The Peter thing was an invention of the Catholic Church, he had no overarching authority, but was the best known of the Apostles and possibly the most active until Paul. James was considered the leader or pastor of the home (Jerusalem) congregation.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:44 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

What in the world makes you think "like before" didn't involve a hierarchy? There was a very specific, very definite hierarchy in the original Church. Peter was generally assumed to have been Jesus' choice to stand at the head of the Church after His (Christ's) death. He and the other Apostles were to have formed the foundation of the Church, Jesus Christ being the chief cornerstone. Paul describes prophets, pastors, teachers, and evangelists as all having a role in the organizational structure of the Church. He further stated that this structure was to remain in place until all Christians became united in their faith. Has that happened yet? Hell, no! What has happened instead? Just as Paul prophesied would be the case, Christ's followers would end up being like children "tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine." That's precisely what happens when you have a "priesthood of all believers." Jesus Christ gave the keys of authority to Peter, not to every one of His many disciples.

Jesus did not give any authority to any MORTAL....Jesus commented on Peter's faith and commitment (after denying Christ 3 times--wasn't Peter supposed top be denied by Christ after that ??)

Jesus made a universal statement that as He had done, so too would his disciples do EVEN greater...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity