Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 03:56 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,710,413 times

Advertisements

I had bought a small Christmas tree on clearance after Christmas last year thinking I might use it here in my apartment. I never opened the box when I bought it, and had put it in the top of my closet in the spare bedroom. I got it down yesterday and opened the box. The tree was black as a raven. The picture on the box showed the green one I was expecting. I just had to scratch my head and wonder if there really is such a thing as omens.

An omen (also called portent or presage) is a phenomenon that is believed to foretell the future, often signifying the advent of change. People in the ancient times believed that omens lie with a divine message from their gods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 07:49 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
I had bought a small Christmas tree on clearance after Christmas last year thinking I might use it here in my apartment. I never opened the box when I bought it, and had put it in the top of my closet in the spare bedroom. I got it down yesterday and opened the box. The tree was black as a raven. The picture on the box showed the green one I was expecting. I just had to scratch my head and wonder if there really is such a thing as omens.

An omen (also called portent or presage) is a phenomenon that is believed to foretell the future, often signifying the advent of change. People in the ancient times believed that omens lie with a divine message from their gods.
No. We are told to NOT believe in omens.

Deut 18:10-11"There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer 11 or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead"

Old 12-04-2016, 08:05 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,618,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post

Nah. Growing up we had, pink, white, blue, silver, black, and red trees. . Enjoy your black tree.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:01 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,710,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Nah. Growing up we had, pink, white, blue, silver, black, and red trees. . Enjoy your black tree.
You mean "accidentally" put in the box when it was supposed to be a green tree? Of course I am aware that there are other colored trees, but actually, I had never before seen a black Christmas tree. Might have been fun around Halloween.

Not that it IS an omen, or a harbinger, etc... but I wanted to know if anyone posting here believes there are such things.

Thanks, Vizio, my question was directed at those who do not live by the book of Deuteronomy and Leviticus, etc... you know, New Testament followers of Jesus Christ. Please do not answer my questions with quotes from the Old Testament unless you are of the Jewish faith.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:30 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
It it looked like this, I'd say run for the hills...

Old 12-04-2016, 11:16 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
It it looked like this, I'd say run for the hills...

If the sky is cloudy and dark it might rain, today.
But pink elephants that look like this are not natural.

However, there in nothing inherently evil about it.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
If the sky is cloudy and dark it might rain, today.
But pink elephants that look like this are not natural.

However, there is nothing inherently evil about it.

That's a matter of personal opinion.

I was at one of those play places with my kids and this came up behind me...

Felt like a harbinger of a heart attack to me.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:37 AM

Rain, I'm not meaning to make light of your thread. I just think that the things that we receive as "omens" and "harbingers" reveal what's in our own heart more than anything else. I'd ask myself if a black Christmas tree is an omen that fills me with fear, or with hope. If fear, then I've been focusing on the wrong things and it's time to redirect my attention to the things that give me hope.

Old 12-04-2016, 12:22 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Rain, I'm not meaning to make light of your thread. I just think that the things that we receive as "omens" and "harbingers" reveal what's in our own heart more than anything else. I'd ask myself if a black Christmas tree is an omen that fills me with fear, or with hope. If fear, then I've been focusing on the wrong things and it's time to redirect my attention to the things that give me hope.
... that which is Soothing to the soul.

I get live trees, and plant them in the spring.

Old 12-04-2016, 12:43 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Good or bad omen's........ They're both written on the walls of our imagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity