Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 06:33 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,807,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
FWIW, many people of Hispanic culture are in fact named "Jesus" (pronounced "haysuz")---it is not a common name in many other languages like English---perhaps because of concerns in those cultures about possibly disrespecting the Holy Name. of course the name of Mary (also Mariam, Maria, Marie) is a common name in many Christian cultures. again, FWIW, Jesus/Yeshua/Joshua ("YHWH saves") and the closely related Jesse/Isai/Yeshai ("YWHW is" or "YWHW'S gift") were not uncommon names among the Jews in ancient times, either and in fact Joshua and Jesse are still common names in Christian and Jewish cultures.

As-salamu alaykum. Shalom aleichem, peace be with you on your journey.
Strange.
Most Hispanics I've met, pronounce the j with a y sound.
Ya son
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 06:49 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,332,675 times
funny, I've always heard with a "h" sound---go figure. that said the name would STILL be rendered as Jesus in English and that of course it what is and what it means. FWIW, "Salvatore" ("Savior") is another name associated with Jesus that is a common name in "Latin" countries like Italy and "Kristos" (Christ) is a not-uncommon name for Greeks.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:44 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,807,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
funny, I've always heard with a "h" sound---go figure. that said the name would STILL be rendered as Jesus in English and that of course it what is and what it means. FWIW, "Salvatore" ("Savior") is another name associated with Jesus that is a common name in "Latin" countries like Italy and "Kristos" (Christ) is a not-uncommon name for Greeks.
There is reason for the luciferian attachments.
Yet there are some that know the truth

Old 12-16-2016, 09:04 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,332,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
There is reason for the luciferian attachments.
Yet there are some that know the truth

not sure about any "luciferian" connections in the names we are discussing and for that matter in certain nations and cultures the names we've mentioned are not considered blasphemous or presumptions or in any wise "taking the Lord's Name in vain" but more likely a serious and sincere attempt to associate with and be protected by "Jesus", "the Savior", and "Christ". certainly, "Jesus" (Yeshua) was not a unique name among the Jews---the author of the book called "Ecclesiasticus" or "Sirach" sometimes included in the old testament is "Jesus, the son of Sirach"!!! again, it's probably more of an "Anglo" culture thing that the names are not used more around here.

for a slightly similar but in reverse situation remember that "Easter" (supposed to be the name of a pagan fertility goddess) now used for the day of the Resurrection of Jesus is solely an Anglo-Saxon/Germanic thing in all the other countries the name for the day is some variation of "Passover"!!! if we can be dubious about some countries and cultures using the Name of our Savior incorrectly should we be equally concerned about the use of a "pagan" name for the feast of the Resurrection by the Anglos---and yes, some folks are obviously concerned)?

hopefully, I'm not completely misunderstanding what you are trying to convey?

in the peace of Christ.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 12-16-2016 at 09:45 PM..

Old 12-17-2016, 10:09 AM

910 posts, read 1,338,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Islam is a religion of works, where in order to please God you need to do good works.

Christianity states that doing good works don't ensure one salvation. No matter how much good someone does, it not good enough according to the Lord. Living the good life does not ensure salvation. It is through the work of Jesus Christ that ensures one salvation. It is through the work of Jesus Christ who died on the cross for all of our sins and rose from the dead 3 days time.
I think I disagree. You need faith and works in al major religions or l faith. Christian or Muslim. Do you think that Christ died for Christians alone? If you believe he died for all of mankind, then why should a Muslim be judged on his faith, and not on what he does daily?

This is what Christ said:

John 13:34-35 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

John 13:34-35

Old 12-17-2016, 10:56 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,944,684 times
Jesus was Divine, and yet the Son of Mankind too. Islam rejects Jesus' divinity, without which no man can be saved; it took divine blood on God's altar to atone for mankind's sins. The blood of bulls and goats was a temporary substitute until the fullness of time when God revealed His Son to the human race. Therefore, mankind must be cleansed by Jesus' divine blood to enter into the holiest. No man will see the Father without first coming to Jesus.

Therefore, Islam is no friend of true Christianity.

Old 12-17-2016, 03:24 PM

63,813 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Jesus was Divine, and yet the Son of Mankind too. Islam rejects Jesus' divinity, without which no man can be saved; it took divine blood on God's altar to atone for mankind's sins. The blood of bulls and goats was a temporary substitute until the fullness of time when God revealed His Son to the human race. Therefore, mankind must be cleansed by Jesus' divine blood to enter into the holiest. No man will see the Father without first coming to Jesus.
This primitive, barbaric blood nonsense is unbelievably anachronistic and absurd. How it has survived to this day is beyond me.

Old 12-17-2016, 03:31 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post

Therefore, Islam is no friend of true Christianity.
Yes.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:00 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zianizinou View Post
It is sad that many Christians do not know that Jesus, peace be upon him, holds a very high position within Islam.

It's sad that you don't realize nobody's buying your propaganda and disrespectful revisionism.... or if they do, it's to their detriment.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:11 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbron View Post
I think I disagree. You need faith and works in al major religions or l faith. Christian or Muslim. Do you think that Christ died for Christians alone? If you believe he died for all of mankind, then why should a Muslim be judged on his faith, and not on what he does daily?

This is what Christ said:

John 13:34-35 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

John 13:34-35
It is true we are to love one another, and Jesus died on the cross for all of mankind including muslims. Infact there are many people living today that used to be muslim but now Christian. I personally have met a few too.

All of our good works do not ensure of one salvation, only through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ where one is saved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity