Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 07:29 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,761,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In the interim I believe what I believe to be true and will share with others what I believe to be the truth. However, I know that God and Jesus can read hearts. They know what makes a person tick. Why people turn out the way they are. And at the end I trust that they will do the judging and do the right thing. Not me and not you.
Very wise, it's what I've believed for a long time, too.

Last edited by mensaguy; 03-28-2017 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: fixed quote tag
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 07:19 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
OP:

I was raised in the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, which is close to being a "Mainstream Christian Cult" as you describe it. It depends on the congregation. Some of the more conservative congregations and sub-factions in the Missouri Synod are like the Mainstream Christian Cults you describe.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:40 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I agree with this. If you claim that YOUR religion, or version of it, is the "correct" spiritual path--you're wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Abso-tively, posi-lute-ly.

It's my #1 disqualifier when it comes to looking for true ways.
So both of you would agree with the statement: "the only 'true way' is that there is no 'true way'?"

I guess self-refuting statements can be fun to contemplate.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:22 AM

6,797 posts, read 2,911,543 times
Who decides what is and what is not a cult? All religions started as cults, including the most vaunted, esteemed cult of them all, mainstream Christianity. These cults then grew big enough to shed the mantle and turn into the definer rather than the defined.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:30 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,047,415 times
I know I'm repeating myself but just think on this for a moment. A cult emphasizes it's error. Now think about the ones you think are cults and ask yourself what ERROR (according to the Word/letter) do they emphasize as their "own" and you'll see it to be true. When I first came to Him I had no idea who had the Truth on anything and I asked Him how I was to know who was a cult and who wasn't, there were so many of them. This is the answer He gave me. Peace

Old 03-28-2017, 12:47 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Who decides what is and what is not a cult? All religions started as cults, including the most vaunted, esteemed cult of them all, mainstream Christianity. These cults then grew big enough to shed the mantle and turn into the definer rather than the defined.
I don't know that we have a "cult czar" to decide which organizations are cults. However, there is a Cultic Studies Association that been working on this stuff for a long time.

Here's the post I made in another thread that links to their listing of 15 characteristics of cults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It might be worthwhile for those of you using the word "cult" to take a look at this article. It lists 15 characteristics that apply to cults. It's an article that has been revised over and over since it was first written nearly 20 years ago and is maintained on the web site of the International Cultic Studies Association. I saw an earlier version of the article. The list of characteristics is almost unchanged between versions.

Characteristics Associated with Cultic Groups - International Cultic Studies Association (ICSA)

Old 03-28-2017, 08:41 PM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
So both of you would agree with the statement: "the only 'true way' is that there is no 'true way'?"

I guess self-refuting statements can be fun to contemplate.
Haha. Maybe more like, "if there is a true way, humans are incapable of knowing it".

Old 04-03-2017, 05:17 AM

6,366 posts, read 2,920,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I was also taught that 'Christian apostates' know they are wrong but enjoy shaking their fist at God. If they had a good heart God would have already sent an honest Church of Christ person to convert them to the truth. So it's OK when they are thrown in hell. You wouldn't believe the things people have been disfellowshipped for. I know of someone who went on a camping trip with another group of Christians from a more liberal Church of Christ and her elders assumed the trip was 'illegally funded' with church treasury money. When she refused their inquiry she was shunned.

Honestly I think my experience in the Church of Christ turned me into an agnostic. The God was I taught about throws people into hell for just about anything, I figured I was going to hell anyway so why bother.

You have listened to false teachers-- the world is full of them, because their flocks got their heads buried in the ground and DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES.
Like applying this reality to ones religion
Mark 3:24-26-- a house divided( 33,000 trinity religions) will NOT stand.
1Cor 1:10-- a true mark of the one single religion that has Jesus--- unity of thought( all matters) no division.
There is no literal eternal suffering--only a sadist would create such a place.
Fact--Hebrew=Sheol= Greek- Hades= English-Hell--the grave.
The sad part is that the false teachers and their scholars know 100% they are teaching lies for $$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 04-03-2017, 05:32 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
You have listened to false teachers-- the world is full of them, because their flocks got their heads buried in the ground and DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES.
Like applying this reality to ones religion
Mark 3:24-26-- a house divided( 33,000 trinity religions) will NOT stand.
1Cor 1:10-- a true mark of the one single religion that has Jesus--- unity of thought( all matters) no division.
There is no literal eternal suffering--only a sadist would create such a place.
Fact--Hebrew=Sheol= Greek- Hades= English-Hell--the grave.
The sad part is that the false teachers and their scholars know 100% they are teaching lies for $$$$$$$$$$$$

this is from the Jan Watchtower and it is disgusting. No one should be taking her money. In fact, why is her fridge empty in the first place? Where is all that "most loving people on the planet crap" when it comes to helping out someone who can't do anything for you?

Old 04-03-2017, 06:00 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,109,807 times
The biblical definition of a "cult" (or "apostate") is any group/person who preaches a different Jesus than the one in the scriptures. I say this because the word "cult" refers to an unorthodox sect whose members distort the original doctrines of the religion. So, "Christian cults" are those who preach a different gospel, doctrines, practices and a Jesus other than those in the Christian bible. A "Christian" cult will deny one or more of the fundamental truths of Christianity while still claiming to be Christian.

The two most common teachings of Christian cults are that Jesus was not God and that salvation is not by faith alone. These are the very core of our faith in biblical Christianity, hence what the enemy attacks.

These cults first includes every other religion because there is only one God and one name by which anyone can be saved. Jesus. Among the sects that have a "Jesus" character but it isn't the Jesus of the Bible, includes Mormonism, Universalism, Jehova's Witnesses, Roman Catholicism, and I'm sure a few others. Then you have other religious cults that talk about Jesus but don't claim to be Christian, like Islam and new age cults like Eckhart Tolle's "New Earth" and what's considered "the church of Oprah." They just think Jesus was a good man but not God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity