Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2017, 08:13 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,821,585 times

Advertisements

Good words JAA2310!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 08:31 PM

537 posts, read 457,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Good words JAA2310!

Praise God, jimmiej. In another thread I cited the parable of the Pharisee and the publican. It's one of my favorite passages to use when sharing the Gospel, and I believe it has a great deal to say to us.

In searching the Scriptures, we come upon the statement that there is none who seeks after God. And one beautiful quality of the Scriptures is that we find commentaries on certain verses and passages in other verses and passages.

Psalm 10:4 further elaborates: "The wicked in his proud countenance does not seek God;
God is in none of his thoughts". Our pride is the driving force behind why we (by nature) are in such rebellion against God.

Now we see a further commentary, if you will, in that parable of the Pharisee and the publican. Kindly note:

Luke 18:9-14

9 Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: 10 Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, 'God, I thank You that I am not like other men--extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.' 13 And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me a sinner!' 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

As we hear the Gospel, we must be humbled to the point where we simply cry out to God for mercy, acknowledging our sinfulness. And Jesus tells us which of the two men went down to his house justified.

Praise God that today is still the day of salvation. May God be pleased to draw yet many more to Christ in he way that He would have us come. Jesus promises in no uncertain terms that "the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out".

God bless.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:52 PM

540 posts, read 363,727 times
1 God in 3 representations.

He basically sacrificed HIMSELF

Old 03-21-2017, 08:54 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,407,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
There is no love without forgiveness, and no forgiveness without love.
For what power has love; but that of forgiveness.

It's not how clean you make yourself, it's what you do for others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Couldn't agree more Jerwade. Read my post to Mystic if you please. Peace
I read it, but why do you feel it necessary to furrow one's brow in an expression of disapproval?

Old 03-21-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
A contrast with the human anatomy to satisfy the desires of the flesh?
(A rephrasing of what was previously stated; and frowned upon by others)

He tore the veil wide-open, so all the people could see the truth.
But that which he exposed has raised its head once, again.
Quote:
No, an immutable pattern displayed for all who have eyes to see, spread as a witness across all three of the heavens, ie. the waters below the firmament, the firmament and the waters above the firmament. Peace
Division or separation come from the mindset of those who are lost.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:52 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,083,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Nightsong View Post
1 God in 3 representations.

He basically sacrificed HIMSELF
Then He did nothing...

Old 03-21-2017, 09:55 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,730,587 times
Quote:
What it means is, you don't hold them against them as in YOU judging them, but the WORD judges them, as Jesus (speaking as the Spirit) said. You claim to live on His words, so why aren't you living on that? Salvation is NOT SANCTIFICATION, which IS THE WORKS THE HOLY GHOST DOES.
No, rbbi1, you are judging those sinners, not the Word. The Word died for them. It is just your continuing rationalization to make yourself appear pure -- to you.
Quote:
Try to follow this. G-d the Father, is IN CHRIST Who is SPIRIT, and the death of the flesh (YOUR outer court) on the cross (YOURS) via the HOLY GHOST WHO ACTS AS THE PRIEST IN THE INNER COURT OF THE SOUL, is the ONLY ONE who can reconcile you back to the Father. You must first realize that reconciliation is NOT initial salvation experience of your SPIRIT, because reconciliation requires a SACRIFICE (YOURS), and that sacrifice is your SOUL (make of yourself a LIVING sacrifice). Ever wonder why there were those OUTSIDE the gates in heaven in Revelation? The body's refusal to study the difference between the soul and spirit, and salvation and sanctification, is the reason for this.
Your very sanctimonious speaking of G-d, rather than God, illustrates a legalistic mindset.
Quote:
What He performed was a WITNESS and a SIGN (there shall be no sign given EXCEPT....), but we have to APPROPRIATE it for ourselves, which is why it says work out YOUR OWN salvation (same word there as deliverance) with fear and trembling. There is a pattern for a reason and didn't DIS-include the inner court MIDDLE/MEDIATOR, of the Holy Ghost, whose job it is to clean us up and drag us to the Father.
How can one appropriate a free gift--it is simply acceptance. If you fear God, then the love of God is not really in you. No one fears his rescuer. He is grateful.
Quote:
There is no fear in love, but perfect love drives out fear, because fear involves punishment. The one who fears has not been perfected in love.
I John 4:18
This is why you are still drinking milk instead of witnessing with the power of God's love. John was a much more settled Christian spirit than the animated Paul.
Quote:
Just like a seed that has an outer husk (flesh), a grain/seed, and the life/pattern hidden within that seed such as to make a grain become a mighty tree though it looks nothing like it in that form, so too are we as body, soul, and spirit. Without the death of that husk, the seed is not revealed/uncovered/revelation of Christ within, and without the laying down of that seed (unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies) it abides alone (without the Father manifest). It takes ALL THREE aspects to fulfill the life cycle of that seed.
Jesus said we must be born again. And everyone can see what travail that brings to those who do not wish to be born again. I am the same sinful man, but covered with HIS righteousness not my own. You appear to try to emphasize YOUR righteousness as if that would be desirable to God. Did not Paul write that ALL our righteousness is as filthy rags. That means doing our very best is still disgusting to God--EXCEPT---He looks at us and sees what He did on the cross so we could be His children.
Quote:
There is a last will and testament. Seeing it is NOT APPROPRIATING all of it's "codicils", you have to PERFORM the requirements set forth in order to INHERIT. It would be like your brother died and he set forth in his will that if you will do x,y, and z you can inherit his company, his house, his millions, NOT so you can strut about like a peacock but because that you must do these things FOR THEM to receive the blessings due THEM, as you are as an heir the intended head to his family (under the law you despise you are required to RAISE UP SEED to your brother) bless them with what you have inherited and be as their covering in his stead, but ONLY IF you will perform x,y, z.
Still living under the Law
Quote:
But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility by abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man..."
(Eph. 2:13-15, ESV)

Quote:
But what happens if you DON'T perform x,y,z, instead claiming that you've got all you need, not realizing that what your brother attained was ALL you're going to receive, in reality you are poor (poverty), sin ridden (ultimate sickness), and naked (ultimate death = no garment). Oh, I know: you
u get described as Jezebel in Revelation.

By rights, you're a family member to him, even an heir, but you wilfully refuse to do what is right by your brother and his family, keeping from THEM the blessings due them, then by the same measure you yourself are judged.

I challenge you and Warden to COME UP HIGHER, and take the position He died to give you, and don't try and tell me it's because you "have agape love" that you refuse to follow the pattern laid out for you.

Rather than write another lengthy post, this is for you too, Warden....Peace
I challenge you to come down lower, off that high horse that you believe gets you next to the right hand of God.
Quote:
“Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly”
(Matthew 11:29)
Quote:
But they were silent, for on the way they had been arguing with each other which of them was the greatest. Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, "If anyone wants to be first, he must be the last of all and the servant of all.
Mark 9:34-35
I know it is hard, for the values of this nation are anathema to what Jesus calls for. You are simply expressing the capitalist version of Christianity, looking for the head seat where you can school all of us about being righteous--except we've already seen that none of us are righteous. It's initially difficult to take the back seat. It's not in our nature to be meek when another driver cuts in front of us. So-called Christians in this country are constantly talking about their "rights," when Jesus said we shouldn't EVER demand rights.

Paul was like you--stating that we should speak the "truth." But how did He say to speak it?
Quote:
Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ.
Ephesians 4:15

Jesus told us how to do this--and its the one thing none of us practices as we should.
Quote:
“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
Matt 5:43-48

You want to be His child, then pray for your enemies, put them before yourself, lift them up to God, wish the very best for them. Take no glory in their suffering, but suffer with them. Help them as you would your own child. THAT is the way to be perfect as God in Heaven is perfect. I sense that your inability to do this is because of an inner fear of being put at the back of the bus.

Have no fear, I reserved the back of the bus for myself, long ago. You are always defensive about the "written word." I have no need to be defensive about it because it is but another lowly witness to something greater than itself. I don't need it to be perfect--because those who wrote it weren't. They were sinners pointing beyond their own writing to He who loved them despite their sins.

None of us will ever be good enough or righteous enough to gain God's favor. That's why His Son came to dwell among us, to walk with sinners, to talk to adulterers and eat with taxpayers. And He didn't condemn any of them as far as we know. He reserved that for those who wore their religion on their sleeves, talked about being in an elite group, and followed their "written word" as if it were their God.

Being meek and loving others runs contrary to our society that sees such folks as simply those to be stepped on or stepped over. It is hard, and Paul knew it.
Quote:
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
Galatians 6:9

We forgive our enemies over and over, as Jesus forgives us. We are to forgive seventy times seven!!
(see Matthew 18:21–22), not throw in the towel when others don't meet our expectations. Jesus says forgive them--and we can only do so IF we love them with agape love! When one puts on the Yoke of Love, we often get far more than we bargained for. But then there is no other way to become the children of God!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HAb408XUPs

Loving God, loving each other
making music with my friends
and the story never ends

They pushed back from the table to listen to His words
His secret plans before He had to go
It's not complicated; don't need a lot of rules
This is all you need to know

It's loving God, loving each other
and the story never ends

we tend to make it harder build steeples out of stone
fill books with explanations of the way
but if we stop and listen and break a little bread
we would hear the master say

It's loving God, loving each other
and the story never ends

Don't make it harder than it has to be, rbbi1. His yoke is easy, and His burden is light. Just love God and everyone you bump into. Then you, too, will be meek and lowly---and worthy of the Lamb!

Last edited by Wardendresden; 03-21-2017 at 10:03 PM..

Old 03-21-2017, 09:57 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,083,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAA2310 View Post
Praise God, jimmiej. In another thread I cited the parable of the Pharisee and the publican. It's one of my favorite passages to use when sharing the Gospel, and I believe it has a great deal to say to us.

In searching the Scriptures, we come upon the statement that there is none who seeks after God.
You don't see the contradiction here?...

Old 03-21-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAA2310 View Post
Jesus promises in no uncertain terms that "the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out."
But what you fail to realize is that ALL will be drawn in due time.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:26 PM

540 posts, read 363,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Then He did nothing...
He did everything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity