Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 06:08 PM

10,122 posts, read 5,041,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
OK. The fact that you posted here, tells me that you are thinking about it.
Easter services are usually beautiful and moving at any church. You might enjoy the music.
Between being a "pew warmer" and finding yourself "hip deep in mud in Africa" you can volunteer on your terms. I know you like to cook. Attending a pot luck, or taking a meal to a sick congregation member might appeal to you.
Check out the church web site. Most churches have one now.
Isn't Easter connected to the non-biblical Resurrection of Spring, and Not what Jesus taught to do at Luke 22:19 which is to remember his day of 'death'.
Just as a wedding anniversary does Not fall each year on a Sunday, then the day of Jesus' resurrection could Not fall each year on a Sunday. Just as his day of death ( Jewish month of Nisan the 14th day ) does Not always come on a Friday.

Shouldn't we volunteer on Jesus' terms. Jesus our model or example to follow - 1st Peter 2:21
Jesus gave us the illustration story about a neighborly good Samaritan.
That Samaritan helped on a one-on-one basis as necessary due to his circumstances.
Jesus never advocated building buildings such as soup kitchens, etc, but stressed doing the same spiritual work he did - Luke 4:43.
So, we are to widen out in showing love, or broaden out in showing love, not only in helping on a one-on-one basis but in proclaiming about the good news about God's kingdom government being the solution to mankind's problems as Jesus did.
Jesus gave us that same volunteer spiritual work to accomplish where ever we are on Earth.
- Matthew 24:14; Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Daniel 2:44
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 06:49 PM

24,165 posts, read 32,737,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Isn't Easter connected to the non-biblical Resurrection of Spring, and Not what Jesus taught to do at Luke 22:19 which is to remember his day of 'death'.
Just as a wedding anniversary does Not fall each year on a Sunday, then the day of Jesus' resurrection could Not fall each year on a Sunday. Just as his day of death ( Jewish month of Nisan the 14th day ) does Not always come on a Friday.

Shouldn't we volunteer on Jesus' terms. Jesus our model or example to follow - 1st Peter 2:21
Jesus gave us the illustration story about a neighborly good Samaritan.
That Samaritan helped on a one-on-one basis as necessary due to his circumstances.
Jesus never advocated building buildings such as soup kitchens, etc, but stressed doing the same spiritual work he did - Luke 4:43.
So, we are to widen out in showing love, or broaden out in showing love, not only in helping on a one-on-one basis but in proclaiming about the good news about God's kingdom government being the solution to mankind's problems as Jesus did.
Jesus gave us that same volunteer spiritual work to accomplish where ever we are on Earth.
- Matthew 24:14; Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Daniel 2:44

What are you talking about? I call it "Easter". And yes, the holiday has pagan roots. Which I enjoy.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:14 PM

15,234 posts, read 10,435,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Many people may have legitimate reasons to not attend. I suspect that the main reason is that they don't want to hear anything that may cause them to feel "conviction". People will go to extreme lengths in order to not face up to themselves in Gods light, and avoid the difficulty of trying to change by admitting they have been wrong.

Or it could be that we don't like organized religion despite being believers. Maybe we have been burned by a church, felt unwelcome or whatever. Maybe we read our Bible daily and feel no need to attend church. Not all believers who don't attend stay away because they are living a sinful life.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:15 PM

5,463 posts, read 3,091,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Let me count the ways.....
I was raised in a traditional northern baptist church. My father was episcopal and my mother was Lutheran. I am good with God, and believe in the power of prayer, yet I haven't attended church for 50 years.

Sometimes I think I want to, but there are things that hold me back. Just this week, a couple of nice men from the local baptist church stopped to invite us to Easter services. I'm tempted, but I know what I'm like.

If I went and liked the atmosphere, I'd probably start volunteering for a bunch of stuff...child care? Sure. Food pantry? Sure. Sunday school? Sure. I don't want to get involved. I'm retired. The next thing I know, I'd be hip deep in mud in someplace in Africa.
Hip deep in africa ain't so bad, but my reason for not attending church is God isn't found in stained glass.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:08 PM

20,487 posts, read 12,888,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Hip deep in africa ain't so bad, but my reason for not attending church is God isn't found in stained glass.
Most churchgoers understand that. That's not big news.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:28 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,991,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Wrong. Some people do find God in stained glass and/or ceremonies. They get out of those things what they bring to them, and hopefully the inspiration to live well in community. The fact that they don't "speak" to you does not denigrate their value to others. (This from a Quaker who does not "do" ceremonies in any way himself)

Old 04-09-2017, 04:13 PM

10,122 posts, read 5,041,861 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? I call it "Easter". And yes, the holiday has pagan roots. Which I enjoy.
Just pagan roots, or a non-biblical day.
Easter is: Resurrection of Spring. Not Resurrection of Jesus.
Of course one would enjoy Easter. If Easter meant sticking yourself all over with pins how many would keep Easter.

If Easter was publicly banned how many would still celebrate it especially if celebrating and decorating meant a fine or even doing jail time _________

Old 04-09-2017, 05:40 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,724,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Wrong. Some people do find God in stained glass and/or ceremonies. They get out of those things what they bring to them, and hopefully the inspiration to live well in community. The fact that they don't "speak" to you does not denigrate their value to others. (This from a Quaker who does not "do" ceremonies in any way himself)
I think stained glass is pretty. I'm not a big fan of organ music. But I digress.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:56 PM

89,033 posts, read 85,608,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Just pagan roots, or a non-biblical day.
Easter is: Resurrection of Spring. Not Resurrection of Jesus.
Of course one would enjoy Easter. If Easter meant sticking yourself all over with pins how many would keep Easter.

If Easter was publicly banned how many would still celebrate it especially if celebrating and decorating meant a fine or even doing jail time _________
What the hell would make you even think of questions like that?

Old 04-09-2017, 06:08 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,843,645 times
Quote:
How so. I've actually never seen this accusation proven. Of course attention to Passover has been diluted over time.

Everyone out looking for boiled eggs is not pagan in any way. It's a tradition.
With hebrew roots I might add.

Last edited by pinacled; 04-09-2017 at 07:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity