Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 10:10 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,381,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
There is no such command or suggestion in the New Testament that Christians are to eat fish to remember the crucifixion of Jesus.
What are you talking about?! Everyone knows its a command from the book of Peacecrusader chapter 8 verse 88! Geez, I thought you were a bible expert! Eat thy fish!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 10:10 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,334,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My mother is allergic to fish. I guess she is going to hell because she can't eat it on Good Friday.

Seriously, this is a new one. Does the OP own a fish market or something? LOL.

LOL, that might explain it. OTOH, since even for those who observe fast and/or abstinence on Good Friday eating fish is NOT mandatory just not eating meat so any "vegan" or "vegetarian" type menu would do fine and your Mom would be "off the hook" on that score. for that matter (at least as far as Catholics are likely most all other Churches are concerned), ALL such observances can be dispensed with if because of the person's age or health condition they might be harmed by such practices.

in the peace of Christ.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:52 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,932,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Doesn't having a relationship with Jesus help one to "remember" even more? A relationship is like BAM right there in your face and there is no remembering, there is only LIVING...
On the other hand, ceremonies or observations can be good expressions of what is known and felt. We get from them what we bring to them.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:56 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,381,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacecrusader888 View Post
To remember at Easter the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, Christians are to eat fish.
Oh I get it...its a new command! I think you need Arnolds help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6P40wLThbc

Sorry, I just couldn't resist...

Old 04-11-2017, 11:54 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,145,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacecrusader888 View Post
To remember at Easter the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, Christians are to eat fish.
That sounds so pagan, even more pagan than eating a honey glazed ham to remember a Hebrew/Jewish Messiah.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:05 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,242,084 times
Quote:
My mother is allergic to fish. I guess she is going to hell because she can't eat it on Good Friday.

Seriously, this is a new one. Does the OP own a fish market or something? LOL.
May be if your mom just "feeds" the fish Jesus will look upon her approvingly....

Old 04-11-2017, 01:07 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,242,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
On the other hand, ceremonies or observations can be good expressions of what is known and felt. We get from them what we bring to them.
absolutely!!

Some of my most meaningful experiences and ceremonies are "pagan" (whatever that means)and always accentuate the LOVE of Christ...

Old 04-11-2017, 07:53 PM

88,625 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
LOL, that might explain it. OTOH, since even for those who observe fast and/or abstinence on Good Friday eating fish is NOT mandatory just not eating meat so any "vegan" or "vegetarian" type menu would do fine and your Mom would be "off the hook" on that score. for that matter (at least as far as Catholics are likely most all other Churches are concerned), ALL such observances can be dispensed with if because of the person's age or health condition they might be harmed by such practices.

in the peace of Christ.
My mother is 88 years old, a devout (Protestant) Christian all her life, and drives herself to kidney dialysis three times a week. She has to eat a certain amount of animal protein due to her failed kidney function. They don't observe the Friday dietary restrictions in her church anyway.

I don't eat meat at all, so I'll make up for her!

Old 04-11-2017, 07:57 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,334,333 times
Quote:
My mother is 88 years old, a devout (Protestant) Christian all her life, and drives herself to kidney dialysis three times a week. She has to eat a certain amount of animal protein due to her failed kidney function. They don't observe the Friday dietary restrictions in her church anyway.

I don't eat meat at all, so I'll make up for her!

LOL, so NO problems for her then on ANY score, then. may God bless and keep her and you as well.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:06 PM

88,625 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
LOL, so NO problems for her then on ANY score, then. may God bless and keep her and you as well.
Thank you! I am very fortunate to still have her, and that her mind is still sharp. I will be at her house for Easter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity