Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 03:23 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,886,782 times

Advertisements

To me, this is the story of a smart aggressive young woman who seduces a rich man by getting into his bed at night. That's it. Period. You see these kind of women all the time.

Is that the only lesson of the story? How a poor woman can seduce a rich man? What am I missing here? I've read the story many times. Why is it in the Bible? What does it have to do with religion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 06:08 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,055,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
To me, this is the story of a smart aggressive young woman who seduces a rich man by getting into his bed at night. That's it. Period. You see these kind of women all the time.

Is that the only lesson of the story? How a poor woman can seduce a rich man? What am I missing here? I've read the story many times. Why is it in the Bible? What does it have to do with religion?

He was her kinsman redeemer, a type of Christ. She was a type of our soul, and laid at his feet in humility and submission, not to seduce. He had a choice of redeeming her or not, just as Christ had.

EVERYTHING in there is about the reuniting of soul and Spirit, ie. undoing what A and E did in the garden. The sooner you look for the types of this, the quicker you see the big picture. Peace

Old 04-21-2017, 06:14 AM

749 posts, read 737,109 times
Quote:

Context.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:33 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,259,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
Context.
I was going to suggest INFERENCE...

Old 04-21-2017, 09:37 AM

45,647 posts, read 27,275,817 times
Quote:

I taught this in adult Sunday School a couple of months ago and suggested kinda the same thing. However - to your point above, it was Ruth's mother-in-law, Naomi, who set up the plan for Ruth to seduce Boaz after he had drunk some wine.

Naomi is usually lifted up as some sort of heroine... I said she sent Ruth into a tempting situation. However, the hand of the Lord and the character of Boaz prevented a tempting situation from turning into sinful mess.

One lady in the class thought I was taking a dark view of the situation. I told her I was being real. Naomi was trying to use sex to get Boaz to marry Ruth, and get her basic needs taken care of. I don't think Naomi was inherently evil, but she attempted to use a worldly method to solve a problem.

The thing about it was that Boaz was already interested in Ruth to begin with. All of Naomi's scheming was unnecessary.

At the end of the day - this is part of the lineage of Jesus Christ (read into the background of the families), which is probably why the account is included.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 04-21-2017 at 09:47 AM..

Old 04-21-2017, 10:30 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,735,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

The thing about it was that Boaz was already interested in Ruth to begin with. All of Naomi's scheming was unnecessary.

At the end of the day - this is part of the lineage of Jesus Christ (read into the background of the families), which is probably why the account is included.
I think is rightest.. and that Naomi SAW GOD's hand in it and knew that unless ruth let her intentions be known Boaz might not have pushed to redeemer ruth . he was older and might have let a young cousin redeem Ruth.
remember his shock that this young woman would chose him or even be obedient to Naomi in the matter of picking an old man.

Rth 3:10
¶
And he said, Blessed be thou of the LORD, my daughter: for thou hast shewed more kindness in the latter end than at the beginning, inasmuch as thou followedst not young men, whether poor or rich.
Rth 3:11
And now, my daughter, fear not; I will do to thee all that thou requirest: for all the city of my people doth know that thou art a virtuous woman.
Rth 3:12
And now it is true that I am thy near kinsman: howbeit there is a kinsman nearer than I.

He showed kindness and she showed Kindness, that is not seduction !!!
Boaz clearly called her a "virtuous woman" and one who loved her Mother in law and was better than many sons to her mother in law . SO he respected her a lot.

I believe that Naomi saw the hand of God in picking Boaz and might have known Boaz enough to know that unless Ruth did as Naomi said That Boaz no matter his desires wouldn't have tried to redeem Ruth because he was older and would have put his own desires aside in order that she have a younger husband .

I also find it odd that this perverted society can find sedition and seduction where there is none.
Could that be because the Word of God is a mirror into the readers own soul ?
someday we will all deal with the
"the GOD we know", and that phrase has some really interesting spiritual concepts attached to it.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:27 AM

45,647 posts, read 27,275,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
I think is rightest.. and that Naomi SAW GOD's hand in it and knew that unless ruth let her intentions be known Boaz might not have pushed to redeemer ruth . he was older and might have let a young cousin redeem Ruth.
remember his shock that this young woman would chose him or even be obedient to Naomi in the matter of picking an old man.

¶
And he said, Blessed be thou of the LORD, my daughter: for thou hast shewed more kindness in the latter end than at the beginning, inasmuch as thou followedst not young men, whether poor or rich.
And now, my daughter, fear not; I will do to thee all that thou requirest: for all the city of my people doth know that thou art a virtuous woman.
And now it is true that I am thy near kinsman: howbeit there is a kinsman nearer than I.

Boaz clearly called her a "virtuous woman" and one who loved her Mother in law and was better than many sons to her mother in law . SO he respected her a lot.

I believe that Naomi saw the hand of God in picking Boaz and might have known Boaz enough to know that unless Ruth did as Naomi said That Boaz no matter his desires wouldn't have tried to redeem Ruth because he was older and would have put his own desires aside in order that she have a younger husband .

I also find it odd that this perverted society can find sedition and seduction where there is none.
"the GOD we know", and that phrase has some really interesting spiritual concepts attached to it.
You quote chapter 3 after Ruth came back and told Naomi what happened, and Naomi saw God's hand in what happened.

The beginning of chapter 3 is where Naomi puts forth the plan.

Ruth 3:1-5
Then Naomi her mother-in-law said to her, "My daughter, shall I not seek security for you, that it may be well with you? 2 "Now is not Boaz our kinsman, with whose maids you were? Behold, he winnows barley at the threshing floor tonight. 3 "Wash yourself therefore, and anoint yourself and put on your best clothes, and go down to the threshing floor; but do not make yourself known to the man until he has finished eating and drinking. 4 "It shall be when he lies down, that you shall notice the place where he lies, and you shall go and uncover his feet and lie down; then he will tell you what you shall do." 5 She said to her, "All that you say I will do."

Wash yourself up... put on your best clothes... wait until he is done drinking... lay at his feet... do whatever he tells you to do...

That was Naomi's plan to which Ruth agreed. I don't see anything godly about that plan.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:21 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,735,364 times
Quote:
You quote chapter 3 after Ruth came back and told Naomi what happened, and Naomi saw God's hand in what happened.

Then Naomi her mother-in-law said to her, "My daughter, shall I not seek security for you, that it may be well with you? 2 "Now is not Boaz our kinsman, with whose maids you were? Behold, he winnows barley at the threshing floor tonight. 3 "Wash yourself therefore, and anoint yourself and put on your best clothes, and go down to the threshing floor; but do not make yourself known to the man until he has finished eating and drinking. 4 "It shall be when he lies down, that you shall notice the place where he lies, and you shall go and uncover his feet and lie down; then he will tell you what you shall do." 5 She said to her, "All that you say I will do."

Wash yourself up... put on your best clothes... wait until he is done drinking... lay at his feet... do whatever he tells you to do...

That was Naomi's plan to which Ruth agreed. I don't see anything godly about that plan.
maybe I will try this...all things are lawful to the lawful , but not all things are benefial. Naomi knew what she knew by God and her knowledge of the people involved. it would not end unlawful because the people involved were not unlawful!!

you only are seeing unlawful or scheming, because why?
time to deal with the god you see?

Old 04-21-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post

¶

Good points.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:

I see a lot in it, you've just got to dig deeper. The first clue to what is going on is the threshing floor and winnowing barley. Barley is a first fruits, a type of overcomer, a kind of person who is willing to go through the removal of the chaff, the circumcision of the heart. The threshing floor was the threshing floor of David where he built an altar and did sacrifice, a low set rock type of foundation stone, a type of Christ, set outside the city so that the wind could blow away the chaff. He was taken outside the city to be crucified.

The instructions she got were identical to a priest who is getting ready to serve, and change his garments. A person fasting is told to wash their face and anoint it with oil. The fact she obeyed and chose an old man, meant that all respect of persons (choosing what she couldn't see as opposed to what she could, exactly the opposite of Eve) had been overcome and she was obedient to the Spirit and not the lusting of the flesh for money/mammon/self gain or the lust of the flesh for youthful vigor of a mate.

There's a lot more to be gleaned if you look up the Hebrew word meanings, too. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity