Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 11:23 AM

20,439 posts, read 12,783,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Regarding the thread title, Jesus states why He came...

John 6:38 - "For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. "

The Father sent Him. What was the Father's will?

John 6:39-40 - "This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day. 40 "For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day."

Also other statements by Jesus...

Matthew 20:28 - just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.

Luke 19:10 - "For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 01:47 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,916,184 times
Quote:
Why would I need the Spirit as a guide when according to you, all I need to do is love my neighbor as myself?

The Bible is rejected by those who idolize their own theology.
And what do you THINK the Spirit guides you IN? There are few new revelations, almost ALL the guidance being in the APPLICATION of the principle involved.

The Bible is rejected AS GUIDE partly because the Bible categorically states in 3 places that Jesus promised the Spirit, but ALWAYS because those who do so have actually ENCOUNTERED the promised Guide, something those who rely on the Bible can NOT have done.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
And what do you THINK the Spirit guides you IN? There are few new revelations, almost ALL the guidance being in the APPLICATION of the principle involved.

The Bible is rejected AS GUIDE partly because the Bible categorically states in 3 places that Jesus promised the Spirit, but ALWAYS because those who do so have actually ENCOUNTERED the promised Guide, something those who rely on the Bible can NOT have done.
I could easily find hundreds of people in my church who would vehemently disagree with you. Encountering the Spirit and believing the Bible are not mutually exclusive.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:37 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,916,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I could easily find hundreds of people in my church who would vehemently disagree with you. Encountering the Spirit and believing the Bible are not mutually exclusive.
Encountering the Spirit and believing the Bible is authority in its own right is absolutely mutually exclusive: you can NOT serve two masters.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Encountering the Spirit and believing the Bible is authority in its own right is absolutely mutually exclusive: you can NOT serve two masters.
Again, I know a lot of Christians who would disagree with you.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:09 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,042,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Again, I know a lot of Christians who would disagree with you.

Count me as one of them. No where are we told to throw the book away just because we received the Spirit. The first thing the Spirit did with me was put me IN the book, a book I had never read before, nor had any real desire to read UNTIL I had the Spirit.

Once when I staggered in faith, He even spoke to me, "Didn't you read it in My book?", and shamefacedly I had to admit that I did and line up with the book and the Spirit. Peace

Old 05-08-2017, 05:37 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,805,472 times
Quote:
Regarding the thread title, Jesus states why He came...

John 6:38 - "For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. "

The Father sent Him. What was the Father's will?

John 6:39-40 - "This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day. 40 "For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day."

Also other statements by Jesus...

Matthew 20:28 - just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.

Luke 19:10 - "For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost."
Amen.
The first will be the last

Old 05-09-2017, 06:36 AM

45,573 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Do we really need another??
When Jesus says to the disciples to go and make disciples - is that a command that we should do?

Quote:
You are not serving two masters. The Spirit in believers today is the same Spirit the resided in those who wrote the content in the Bible.

2 Peter 1:20-21 - But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation, 21 for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:13 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,042,068 times
Quote:
When Jesus says to the disciples to go and make disciples - is that a command that we should do?

You are not serving two masters. The Spirit in believers today is the same Spirit the resided in those who wrote the content in the Bible.

2 Peter 1:20-21 - But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation, 21 for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

Amen, yes it is. Peace

Old 05-09-2017, 07:54 AM

4,217 posts, read 2,784,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porque77 View Post

JESUS CHRIST CAME TO TEACH US THE TRUE COMMANDMENTS OF GOD

There is only one way of salvation: RETURNING TO THE COMMANDMENTS OF JESUS CHRIST THAT THE GOSPEL TEACHES US.
There is only one way, correct.

I am the way, the truth and the life no one comes to the Father except by me.

Whoever has heard from the Father and learned from Him comes to me.

"Keep the commandments of the Lord by walking in His ways and revering Him."

"Let him who is wise understand these things,let him who is prudent know them, straight are the ways of the Lord, the righteous walk in them, but sinners will stumble."

Blessed is he who finds no stumbling block in me.

I am the first and I am the last, the One who lives once I died but now I live forever and ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity