Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 03:16 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times

Advertisements

Why do so many Christians give praise to CS Lewis if he denied the Atoning work of Jesus Christ. Isn't this supposed to be the MOST important part of the faith?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 03:48 PM

11,085 posts, read 7,146,060 times
As a starting point, where exactly does Mr. Lewis deny the "atoning work of Jesus"? I.e. what book(s), chapter(s), etc. We have to be able to read his words and come to agreement that he was of that view, before taking it to the next level of commenting.

People these days say all sorts of things about other people, so it's easy to throw out something like that. We need proof though. I'm vaguely familiar with Mr. Lewis, but have never heard those allegations.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 06-30-2017 at 03:59 PM..

Old 06-30-2017, 04:29 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,916,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/mischedj/ca_lewisatone.html
We are told that Christ was killed for us, that His death has washed out our sins, and that by dying He disabled death itself. That is the formula. That is Christianity. That is what has to be believed. Any theories we build up as to how Christ's death did all this are, in my view, quite secondary: mere plans or diagrams to be left alone if they do not help us, and, even if they do help us, not to be confused with the thing itself. All the same, some of these theories are worth looking at.
It would apprat that Lewis was just not foolish enough to believe in penal substitutution.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:50 PM

63,795 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why Did Jesus Have To Die? - C.S. Lewis Explains the Atonement
We are told that Christ was killed for us, that His death has washed out our sins, and that by dying He disabled death itself. That is the formula. That is Christianity. That is what has to be believed. Any theories we build up as to how Christ's death did all this are, in my view, quite secondary: mere plans or diagrams to be left alone if they do not help us, and, even if they do help us, not to be confused with the thing itself. All the same, some of these theories are worth looking at.
It would appear that Lewis was just not foolish enough to believe in penal substitution.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:51 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
As a starting point, where exactly does Mr. Lewis deny the "atoning work of Jesus"? I.e. what book(s), chapter(s), etc. We have to be able to read his words and come to agreement that he was of that view, before taking it to the next level of commenting.

People these days say all sorts of things about other people, so it's easy to throw out something like that. We need proof though. I'm vaguely familiar with Mr. Lewis, but have never heard those allegations.
I don't recall ever seeing you post...but, I think I am in love with you...

Old 06-30-2017, 05:02 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,781,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post

He doesn't. This is just another failed attempt by the OP to deny traditional Christianity. Ozzy is a bomb-thrower, virtually speaking.

I've read this book many times. The entire point of this chapter is found here:

what possible point could there be in punishing an innocent person instead? None at all that I can see, if you are thinking of punishment in the police-court sense. On the other hand, if you think of a debt, there is plenty of point in a person who has some assets paying it on behalf of someone who has not.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:11 PM

63,795 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
He doesn't. This is just another failed attempt by the OP to deny traditional Christianity. Ozzy is a bomb-thrower, virtually speaking.
what possible point could there be in punishing an innocent person instead? None at all that I can see, if you are thinking of punishment in the police-court sense. On the other hand, if you think of a debt, there is plenty of point in a person who has some assets paying it on behalf of someone who has not.
This does NOT support a punishment/payment meme. It supports a "designated hitter" meme in which Jesus does what we could NOT and saved us all from the obligation. That is why we are reconciled to God and God is not counting our sins against us. They are irrelevant to our salvation. They simply tarnish our Spirit and that requires refinement after death if we do not repent and fix things in the here and now.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:39 PM

My God!

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that CS Lewis believed in the miracles, including the virgin birth and resurrection, as LITERAL events, but that he didn't believe in all of the Fundamentals.

He has also prominently acknowledged George MacDonald, a very well known Universalist. My God, do you people really doubt this? I can't trust any of you.

Why don't you at least approach my question from the George MacDonald/ Universalist side of it. Does the fact that a "Christian" writer is also a universalist mean that he is now in hell for not believing in the Atonement?

Old 06-30-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

Jimmie, you have now called my a Troll 3 times. "Bomb thrower" is a synonym for troll and you have done it at least 3 times now. You sounded stupid the first time, and you still sound stupid. You are upset because I asked you why you told two very disparaging stories about your father. I asked you to explain it and take as much time as you need to come with an answer. I'm not going to believe you regardless, but you can at least make an attempt.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:48 PM

11,085 posts, read 7,146,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I don't recall ever seeing you post...but, I think I am in love with you...
Wow, thank you! You just made my day. I'm only now coming across this part of the forum, but I think I'll stop by more often. It's great to be able to contribute thoughts and so forth. Thank you for your lovely comments {I can't find the heart imogi}

Have a great evening! Sending love your way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity