Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 02:36 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Any messenger reveals by their own words what is in their own heart,
Sure, the Apostles did just that, and paid with their lives. That is how offended their audience was, and they were killed on many different countries, and by different kinds of people, so while the people and cultures were different, the reaction was always the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 03:07 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,210,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Sure, the Apostles did just that, and paid with their lives. That is how offended their audience was, and they were killed on many different countries, and by different kinds of people, so while the people and cultures were different, the reaction was always the same.
It was a barbaric time. And the apostles were rabble rousers who annoyed the wrong people. Crap happens.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:58 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,496,129 times
Some are hustlers, trying to build careers and churches up from nothing, and others are volunteers, doing some other hustler's work.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:18 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,380,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneVanderbilt View Post
Still, I believe that Boston street preacher's words planted seeds in all who disregarded him, brushed past him, etc.
There is a certain type of person who is receptive to this kind of proselytization. But for every person who is, there are hundreds or thousands, who are so turned off to it, they are not only unlikely to become Christian, they are left with a bitter taste for the whole religion and its followers. Not least because most of thse street preachers come off as harrassing and bullying. At best, they come off as annoying, shaming scolds.

Street preachers are doing more harm than good from the perspective of increasing the ranks of Christians.

Old 02-07-2020, 06:22 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,721,807 times
I did a little street preaching on Okinawa in the late sixties. We had a small coffee shop that had about three tables. A minister would preach and his wife would play an accordion and she and her two teenage daughters would sing. I remember their theme song was Victory in Jesus. I joined in to sing every so often and one time the minister handed the speaker to me and said "See if you can get a few to come in."

We were mostly speaking to servicemen either on their way over to Vietnam or on their way back but a goodly number were stationed on the island. Apparently someone who had been and come back and was witnessing to the power of God was appealing. Because I got more coming to sit down in the coffee shop than the minister did (although it didn't hurt that his two daughters were quite attractive young ladies).

I felt it had a place there and in that time frame. The primarily doom and gloom street preaching here is truly a turn off. I preached that there was Someone who would be with them and comfort them when things got tough.

Just saying, it's not necessarily a good idea to write it all off under all circumstances.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:41 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,828,112 times
When I was a fundamentalist Christian, attending bible school way back when, we went out street witnessing every Saturday night into some of the worst areas of a major city. OMG, I was never more miserable than when doing that. It never ever did any good either, although we did manage to bring home a heroin addict one night because we felt sorry for him. He was gone by the time we got up the next morning. We had nothing, so there was nothing to steal, and thankfully he didn't kill us in our sleep. So glad those days are over!

Old 02-07-2020, 02:51 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,384,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
While there are some great ones that DO preach well, decent, coherent messages....he is not one of them.

But your point is well taken---there are those that simply hate the message, including many on this forum.
And there are many on this forum who are Christian that don't agree with you or Mr. Jarber.
Often times, you both just shake that bush and scream wolf ...wolf ...to your own detriment.

Old 02-07-2020, 03:40 PM

492 posts, read 235,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
When I was a fundamentalist Christian, attending bible school way back when, we went out street witnessing every Saturday night into some of the worst areas of a major city. OMG, I was never more miserable than when doing that. It never ever did any good either, although we did manage to bring home a heroin addict one night because we felt sorry for him. He was gone by the time we got up the next morning. We had nothing, so there was nothing to steal, and thankfully he didn't kill us in our sleep. So glad those days are over!
You were used by a Goat Church. It's common for them to do this. First it costs them nothing and there is always hope that another supporter will come along. It's free advertising. When you are young your open to anything. Who better than to go out into a ghetto and solicit for the head Goat. They have a pyramid system everything goes up.

Old 02-07-2020, 03:57 PM

11,902 posts, read 3,715,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDABaptist View Post
You were used by a Goat Church. It's common for them to do this. First it costs them nothing and there is always hope that another supporter will come along. It's free advertising. When you are young your open to anything. Who better than to go out into a ghetto and solicit for the head Goat. They have a pyramid system everything goes up.
In your opinion what is the definition of a “sheep” church?

Old 02-12-2020, 10:58 AM

3,805 posts, read 3,004,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
In your opinion what is the definition of a “sheep” church?
lol.
Goat and sheep are almost interchangeable here!
Unless of course there is a false teacher, or a wolf dressed up in sheep's clothing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity