Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 07:10 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times

Advertisements

Assurance.

Peace of mind.

To me, this really comes down to the issue I have with believers. It seems to be, that the only thing they truly care about is their own salvation bringing them some kind of peace of mind regarding their future comfort.

It's so selfish. How does selfishness, resulting from the idea of their own assurance, make someone better than an unbeliever? Because it seems like it is all about preparing for their future comfort.

Paul said that he would give up his salvation to save a few of his own lost people. He said it in Romans 9 I believe. Would any evangelical Christian really do the same? Salvation can't possibly be what they think it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 07:37 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Assurance.

Peace of mind.

To me, this really comes down to the issue I have with believers. It seems to be, that the only thing they truly care about is their own salvation bringing them some kind of peace of mind regarding their future comfort.

It's so selfish. How does selfishness, resulting from the idea of their own assurance, make someone better than an unbeliever? Because it seems like it is all about preparing for their future comfort.

Paul said that he would give up his salvation to save a few of his own lost people. He said it in Romans 9 I believe. Would any evangelical Christian really do the same? Salvation can't possibly be what they think it is.
You think it's selfish that we would submit our lives and all we are to the Creator of the universe?

Why is it such a big deal to you that some believe? Here it is, 8:30 on a Sunday morning and you're posting on religious message boards to tell people you don't believe.

Wow. Good on ya.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:41 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You think it's selfish that we would submit our lives and all we are to the Creator of the universe?

Why is it such a big deal to you that some believe? Here it is, 8:30 on a Sunday morning and you're posting on religious message boards to tell people you don't believe.

Wow. Good on ya.
I'm following the spirit of God as he instructs me in following Christ. You don't have to believe and can continue to mock what I do.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:51 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
I'm following the spirit of God as he instructs me in following Christ. You don't have to believe and can continue to mock what I do.
Ozzy, explain how it is selish to be secure in what you believe and how you can have others feel that same secureness if you dont possess it yourself ?.

Love your neighbor >>>>>as yourself

Old 07-16-2017, 08:39 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post

Wow. Good on ya.
Actually I believe it is selfish for a god to require creation to do so or face eternal suffering

Old 07-16-2017, 09:10 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
Quote:
Assurance.

Peace of mind.

There is some truth to what you're saying. The rapture doctrine most base their assurance on, is a doctrine with fear and selfishness as it's roots. Few seem to be concerned with the ones they feel will be "left behind", only that they themselves make it out of here before X,Y,Z happens. They have never considered that He said it would be as it was in the time of Noah, and in Noah's time only the wicked left the earth. Peace

Old 07-18-2017, 05:36 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,995,542 times
Quote:
Assurance.

Peace of mind.

You have only confirmed you don't understand Christianity. Evangelism is about the salvation of the lost, not about our own salvation. It is an act of love for others---love your neighbor as yourself

Quote:
On thing Christians understand is that we are still sinners and no better than anyone else.

Quote:
Yes. We call them martyrs.

I would gladly give up my salvation to save my Children, grand children, great grand children.

Would I give it up for you? I don't really know.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:52 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Actually I believe it is selfish for a god to require creation to do so or face eternal suffering
I'm not sure what you believe is really relevant to what the Sovereign God of the Universe thinks. Truth is not relative to personal feelings or dependent on how many people believe it. God has stated that we are guilty and deserve punishment unless we have Christ to mediate for us.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:47 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
If we were selfish, we wouldn't share the gospel like we do.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:52 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
If we were selfish, we wouldn't share the gospel like we do.
Yet, those who do not believe as you - are condemned to an eternal hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity