Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2017, 08:47 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,417,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
<snipped for brevity>...

i got what Jesus was saying ...i got the thread or theme of his lessons, his teachings.
At that moment, in a lawn chair...I said, "Well, either I am going do what Jesus said...or I am not."
(I saw my Christian friends struggling with all sorts of things, adultery, anger, depression..I just observed.)
i didn't want to be them...it was obvious they were not happy.

In that moment I started with...Give him my burdens...I clearly saw that worrying was a burden...
he said ''do not worry"...Phil 4:6 said ''Be anxious for nothing..."
I started there. (And lemme tell ya with a high mortgage, self employed in that economy...I had plenty to worry about and did.)

I said ''No'' to any sort or hint of worry, doubt, anxiety, fear, burden...for 2 weeks i saw the tricks of the ego/mind/enemy by whatever name that made fear thoughts come 1st thing in the morning.
I said, "No"....'I trust You Lord with everything......

This post is too long...I could go on.
i have 'challenged' or asked people ...'Just ONE week ...follow what Jesus said...see how your life will change."...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
And the sad thing is, that most likely you and all your friends here would not for one second consider that He might have done the same with me and MORE, because G-d forbid He should bless a lowly "fundie" who "won't quote your Corinthians mantra to stand on ONLY". Peace

I'll just post this again. I'm sorry I didn't leave it at this to begin with, because when I read your post, what I thought I was seeing in it was pain and hurt, and I really didn't want to add to it. So:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Rbbi, I'm sorry if I've ever given you the impression that that is what I think. I've never thought, even for a moment, that you have not experienced things which have been meaningful to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 08:58 AM

33,331 posts, read 26,541,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes. The self-righteousness bleeds through. For you (or one of those who thinks the way you do, it wasn't specifically you, but "you" of the same beliefs) to declare that Jesus is going to come back and kill millions and millions of people who don't believe in him because SCRIPTURE SAYS SO AND WE MUST TAKE IT LITERALLY --the froth of ecstasy over the potential deaths of your fellow human beings practically seeps through the computer, and frankly, it made me recoil in horror to hear a person who calls themselves a follower of Christ say such a thing.

We are saying that is NOT who Jesus was. That is NOT the outlook toward others that we are supposed to cultivate, REGARDLESS of what "Scripture says".
She means me. And yes, the Scripture, the specific scripture in view being Revelation 19:11-21, and which was written by John, is quite clear that when Christ returns His return will be opposed by the beast (the antichrist) and his armies and that He will kill them with the sword that comes out of His mouth. With but a word they will fall dead and the number of dead will be so great that the birds will have more than they can eat. Jesus alludes to this in Matthew 24:28 where He states, ''Wherever the corpse is, there the vultures will gather.'' This is said with reference to the time of His return at the end of the Tribulation. At His return, the tares will be separated from the wheat, the goats from the sheep, the unbelievers from the believers at the judgment of the nations which is mentioned in Matthew 25:31-46.

And yes, it is quite literal. When Jesus returns and establishes His kingdom on the earth the kingdom will begin with believers only. All unbelievers will have been removed from the earth and sent into 'the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels (Matthew 25:41).

Your accusation of me having ''the froth of ecstasy over the potential deaths of your fellow human beings [which] practically seeps though the computer'' is a subjective reaction on your part. I have simply pointed out what the Scriptures, the word of God clearly state.

There is much more to God, and to Jesus who Himself is God, than you are willing to acknowledge. Jesus had a specific mission to accomplish at His first advent. When He returns He will have a different mission to accomplish. Your rejection of that fact will not alter it, and you people ''we'' who are saying ''that is NOT who Jesus was'' fail to view, and don't want to look at the entire picture.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:59 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,612,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I am loved just the way I am...and I am pretty stupid often and make blunders a lot!
I am far from his perfect daughter.
But, God demands nothing from me....He draws me nearer to Him and purifies my heart and mind, tho.
He purifies your heart and mind but let's you remain stupid and blunder around in life?

What a god and worship it. Lol

Old 08-10-2017, 09:03 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,999,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Did you support same sex marriage?
What does God say about it? Are you smarter than God? Are you more moral then God/

Quote:
Do you support good "christians" denying others wedding cakes?
Our constitution requires freedom of religion." Do you rfejecdt that>

Quote:
If so then YOU are threatening democracy (at least as it now stands) and freedom of thought, because you wish to impose your thinking on the LGBTQ community.
It is not my thinking, it is God's and He says it is a sin. Our opposition the gay marriage in no way threatens freedom of thought. In fact it is you bias that threatens freedom of thought.

Quote:
You are a threat to their freedom if you think like that. And if you do not, then it is remarkable that a fundamentalist church would keep you in it!!!

That Christian theology is a threat to anyone is pure ignorance. People like you are a threat to my freedom of religion. You, like many humanist. are trying to get God and religion out of all aspects of our life. You need to brush u p on what Christiand did when our country was estqablished.

[quote]Certainty means that one is no longer seeking the truth, no longer seeking to grow, no longer willing to change as new information becomes available. Try reading this book that points out biblically why God desires trust more than correct belief (The Sin of Certainty: Why God Desires Our Trust More Than Our 'Correct' Beliefs, Peter Enns https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the...nns/1122626916

The real truth is in God word, which you reject, so you will never know the truth. God's truth does not change. What is really true does not change with time. One can't fully Trust God without correct beliefs. So since you like what Enns says are you now going to trust God?

Quote:
Incidentally, Eve had no reason to see Satan as a liar.
That's right

Quote:
She had not yet been introduced to the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.
Quote:

You don't know that for sure, but it is irrelevant. She knew the commandment not to eat of it.
And the only original sin is the one every single one of us with a cerebrum to think has committed. Judging others to be good or evil based on their ACTIONS.
If we judge others CONDUCT, not their heart, by Gos's rules, we can say their conduct is good or not.

Quote:
But God said HE would be the judge because He looks into the heart. Yet fundamentalists commonly tell the rest of us we are going to hell because we don't believe in young earth creation, we do see the inconsistencies in Scripture, and we do believe that Jesus brought both a social gospel as well as a personal gospel to mankind. (Reading the OT it was MOSTLY a social gospel to the Hebrew people).

True fundamentalist do no such thing because the Bible tells us not to. Those who do what you say are ignorant of God's word, making them not fundamentalists. Jews will disagree with you about the OT just being a social gospel, and so will Christians.

Quote:
And when the gay mayor of Houston began demanding the sermons of pastors she thought were preaching against a Houston ordinance, I spoke out loudly against that ever occurring. Because in a house claiming to be of following God, the messages are sacrosanct even if I don't like them.
Good for you, u why do you condemn me for saying what the Bible says about homosexual conduct?

Quote:
hose six relational commandments could be put up anywhere because they do not violate the separation of church and state. In fact all major religions and even atheist humanists believe them to be good. But no, "christians" want all the Ten Commandments to show up to serve their personal views of what others must observe.
We are not saying you must observe the. We a r saying that is what God says we should do. You have free will; it is you choice to obey or not obey.

Quote:
You would have us all reading an infallible and inerrant Bible--but our own history shows us how Bible wars took place in America:
I wish everyone read the Bible but I can't require it. If everyone followed what it says, there would be no wars

Quote:
Nativist Riots of 1844 | Encyclopedia of Greater Philadelphia

It is a serious mistake to judge what is done in the Name of God unless you can show that it is approved by Him.

Quote:
[So, yes, standing against hard positions is what freedom fighters--physical or spiritual--do.
WE call them martyrs. The "hard positions" must be Biblical to be of any value. Otherwise they are just trying to limit my freedom of religion.

Quote:
P.S. All those good Protestants were "certain" they were right.
They were Protestant, but you don't know if they were Christians. You are also are certain you are right although it contradicts what God says.

Quote:
But how do you view it 170 years later? Has your morality CHANGED from that of those good Bible believers?
If they were Bible believers, they would not have done those things, The Bible does not teach us to do that.

Quote:
The Bible is a wonderful resource--but it is not my champion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP8K7O3UwHI
It is illogical not to make a wonderful resource your champion. Evidently humanism is your real champion. Most of which is contradictory to that wonderful resource.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
He purifies your heart and mind but let's you remain stupid and blunder around in life?
Yeah, I'd agree with MissH. God "allows" us to be stupid and blunder, and learn and grow from it, and then be stupid and blunder some more, and learn and grow, and be stupid and blunder some more, and learn and grow. It's called life.

Are you ever stupid and blunder? Do you learn and grow?

Old 08-10-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Yeah, I'd agree with MissH. God "allows" us to be stupid and blunder, and learn and grow from it, and then be stupid and blunder some more, and learn and grow, and be stupid and blunder some more, and learn and grow. It's called life.

Are you ever stupid and blunder? Do you learn and grow?
Does god make you smarter and less of a blunder when ya go to heaven?

Or is heaven full of stupid blundering dead people?

Old 08-10-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Does god make you smarter and less of a blunder when ya go to heaven?

Or is heaven full of stupid blundering dead people?
I don't know what happens after we die.

But you never answered: Are you ever stupid and blunder, and do you learn and grow?

Old 08-10-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I don't know what happens after we die.

But you never answered: Are you ever stupid and blunder, and do you learn and grow?
Why don't you know what happens after you die? Isn't that what you are living for?

Old 08-10-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Why don't you know what happens after you die? Isn't that what you are living for?
You first: Are you ever stupid and blunder? Do you learn and grow?

Old 08-10-2017, 10:02 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,431,346 times
Quote:
I'm a slow learner...but I'm gettin' there!!!
I may be stupid and blunder around...but I'm no longer a horse thief, liar and meanie...
(talkin' about past lives..Ooo I was a hurtful, insensitive meanie...in this one life I remember....I
don't even like talking about it!)
I have a feeling talking about past lives to this group is a mistake.hahahahaha

Added: I see I again posted before reading Pleroo's...do you think we will soon be accused of being the same person? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity