Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2017, 06:08 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
If we lay the Bible down, where can we find spiritual truth, when modern men can't agree.
I prefer my spiritual truth straight from the source...cut the middle MAN out.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all you soul, and with all you strength, and with all your mind, and your neighbor as your self.

The chief end of man is to glorify God and fully enjoy Him forever.
LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR, CAUSE IF YOU CANNOT DO THIS YOU CAN NEVER LOVE GOD.

Love the homeless

Love the addicted

Love the LGBTQ

Love your enemy

Love the marginalized

Love the uninsured

Love the poor

Love the Muslim

Love the Baptist

Love the Catholic

Love the Hindu

Love the Buddahist

Love the imigrant

Love. PERIOD. FINISHED.

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 10-10-2017 at 06:50 AM..

Old 10-10-2017, 08:50 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:
If we lay the Bible down, where can we find spiritual truth, when modern men can't agree.
Exactly.
These people make themselves the source of infallible truth.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:26 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Exactly.
These people make themselves the source of infallible truth.
As if "modern men" or even more ancient men agree on what the Bible means. It is not a matter of "lay the Bible down," but of use the Bible as a tool FOR the Spirit and not authority in its own right. Spiritual truth is in it, yes, but there are other things as well and the ONLY way to discern is to START with the Spoirit Jesus promised and to use the clearly taught and demonstrated nature OF that Spirit as guide.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:47 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
re: What to do if the Bible is laid down...

Be still long enough and know...seek the Kingdom of Heaven within first for a WEEK, 24/7...
and watch the clarity that comes to your mind and heart. ❤️
Trust God, having no worries, being anxious for nothing, pray unceasingly...for a week...see what
you learn and the inner wisdom that is gleaned.

It is in the practice, not the reading...once read, then follow the advice Jesus gave...that's the ticket!

Old 10-10-2017, 01:28 PM

1,146 posts, read 648,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR, CAUSE IF YOU CANNOT DO THIS YOU CAN NEVER LOVE GOD.

Love the homeless

Love the addicted

Love the LGBTQ

Love your enemy

Love the marginalized

Love the uninsured

Love the poor

Love the Muslim

Love the Baptist

Love the Catholic

Love the Hindu

Love the Buddahist

Love the imigrant

Love. PERIOD. FINISHED.
Those are pretty words. Too bad its all a lie.

The Bible says you are to love God FIRST.....not last....not as an afterthought.....FIRST.

Second, the Bible says you should love your neighbor as yourself. If you can't love God first and foremost and highest above all, then you cannot love your neighbor....at all.

Love of God must come first. Always.

Loving your neighbor first...is religion...and I agree that this cannot save anybody.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-11-2017 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: Quit using red text

Old 10-10-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post

The Bible says you are to love God FIRST.....not last....not as an afterthought.....FIRST.

Second, the Bible says you should love your neighbor as yourself. If you can't love God first and foremost and highest above all, then you cannot love your neighbor....at all.

Loving your neighbor first...is religion...and I agree that this cannot save anybody.

It does not say LOVE GOD first..It says you must LOVE your neighbor whom you have seen because you can NEVER LOVE GOD who you have not SEEN if you cannot love those you SEE...

If you say you love GOD, but love not your neighbor--YOU ARE A LIAR...

Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen.-----1 JOHN 4:20

But hey, that's just GOD preaching to HUMANITY!

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-11-2017 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: Quoted post edited

Old 10-10-2017, 06:17 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post

You know nothing choir boy. Loving your neighbor as yourself is proof that the love of God means something special to you.

Why call me Lord when you do not do what i say?. Well, what did he say? Correct, love your neighbor as yourself

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-11-2017 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: Red text in quote

Old 10-11-2017, 08:26 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
I am having a challenge loving my sis-inlaw....oh my, is she just a terrible person...hurtful to others is one thing but when the 'other' has had a stroke ,
Heart operation and now severe Afib...she still is cruel!

My answer to the situation (in my heart) is I must know who she is, what she is, where she came from, understand her childhood models, imagine the compassion her Father has for her...and even more considerations in order to be kind in my thoughts for her.
It is not always a piece o' cake to love another as our Father would like us to....
BUT, there is nothing like rising above the egoic mind that wants to 'hate'.

Do some of us find joy that Harvey W's life is being ruined? Or do we feel forgiveness?
Loving another, a stranger, takes us to our Higher Self that is ruled by the Heart...
And it takes conscious, deliberate effort.

Staying on topic...does religion save a soul?
Applying what Jesus has said can help us became aware of our true selves...which is not our ego or hurtful thoughts ...but , a loving heart at the core of us all.

Thank you, Jesus, Yeshua, for trying to teach us to be what we really are...
Pure, compassionate, innocent children at heart...making stupid stupid mistakes;
even those that reveled in your crucifixion....wanted to see it, be part of it with relish.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:58 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,995,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I prefer my spiritual truth straight from the source...cut the middle MAN out.

What do you consider the source and the middle man?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.