Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 02:34 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,955,553 times

Advertisements

Right n..Xuipa, no one who is falsely accused should be offended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 02:34 PM

88,772 posts, read 85,174,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
How do you know that?
Because the God I believe in gave me the ability to reason.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:35 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,072,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Because the God I believe in gave me the ability to reason.
So you don't believe in the God that inspired the Bible?

Old 10-19-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It's ridiculous to hate a book. People who hate books burn them. We know of at least one on this forum who has done so and is proud of it.

I think the bible is a compendium of stories, allegories, myth, history and nonsense written by primitive people trying to understand their world. Some of it is brilliant. Some of it abhorrent and barbarous. Thankfully, most people know which is which.

What I have come to hate, is the mindset of fundamentalists who think its an inerrant book of historical fact. They want to use their book to control others and that is hateful.
And that is dangerous and wrong, no matter what spiritual path one chooses (or has chosen them). To me, that's an absolute test for whether a religion or spiritual outlook is valid or not. Does the practice of it harm others? If yes--then NO.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:38 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,955,553 times
Quote:
The OTHER mindless defense. The "don't believe" is about your irrational doctrines, not about the God who inspired the people and parts of the Bible that reflect His nature as taught by Jesus.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I do, and in the God that inspired many, many other thoughts and perspectives and writings and creations and truths found in places besides the Bible.

I think what you are really asking, though, is do I believe in the God as was depicted by some men in an ancient culture in a specific place whose perspective was shaped by that culture and its convictions that certain things were true that may not be or have been true for everyone.

The answer to that is no.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The OTHER mindless defense. The "don't believe" is about your irrational doctrines, not about the God who inspired the people and parts of the Bible that reflect His nature as taught by Jesus.
I've said this at least ten times, and it always gets ignored. It's not about having the "right belief".

Old 10-19-2017, 02:46 PM

16,740 posts, read 15,755,116 times
Well, let me chime in here.

Since I agreed to take on the job of moderating these forums, I've had many opportunities to see what people from a wide variety of beliefs think. The regular posters in the Atheism & Agnosticism forum have written in many threads about their experiences. They do not hate the Bible, nor do they hate the religion of Christianity. (They also do not hate God. They will consistently tell you that it is impossible to hate something that does not exist, and the only thing that makes a person an Atheist is the fact that no belief in God is present. [At least one Christian keeps accusing the Atheists of hating God, even after he has been corrected many times.]) Many of them have strong opinions about the Christian denominations they left behind, but I can't recall a single instance of one of them saying they hate the Bible. (They really don't mention the Bible nearly as much in the A&A forum as you might think they do.)

That is what I have observed right here on City-Data.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:08 PM

^Thank you for those observations, mensaguy.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:18 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,287,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
well they either hate the bible and it writers or people who read it ... take your choice.. it is crystal clear they sure hate someone.
may be they hate those who twist the scriptures and use the written words to justify their hate,oppression and discrimination against their neighbors?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity