Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 03:25 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,063,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
when someone says "bible hater" if you got offended ( that is what you claimed just now ) then it is your conscience telling you it's truth.. someone could tell me that all day long and it would never offend me.. I because I know I love his word and His spirit and him and then my neighbors ...
maybe the point is if it gets your goat then you got a goat to get.. so get it right with him. when the car lights comes on you shouldn't poke out the lights.. they are there to warn you something is wrong. ands guilty feelings are the dash lights..
if you choose your feelings over his word... you don't love Him more than you love you and you might not trust him more than you trust you....... that is the first comandment even in the testament is Love Him First and HE IS THE WORD Old and new testament WORD>>> .. .
if you got offended it is because you got a goat to get.
because I won't get offended by those words from anyone ...unless HE tells me that then I might feel offended because it will be true....

Yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 03:37 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,063,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I think it's clear from the responses we get on this forum that there are those that do.

I think so also. When 99% of what some on here post is disparaging of, condemning of, ridiculing of, mocking of, and doing everything humanly possible to attack the belief in it by others as well as the ones who do believe, is clearly the only motive for even being on this forum (as nothing else rarely ever leaves their "lips"), then it should not be a mystery as to why anyone would think that hatred of it is way beyond a strong possibility.

Do I think all atheists do? Not necessarily. When I was an agnostic I didn't have an opinion about it one way or another, as it's very difficult to hate something you are ambivalent about to begin with. I suspect most, but not all, atheists are much the same way. Peace

Old 10-19-2017, 03:49 PM

63,966 posts, read 40,253,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, and it's been a bit frustrating when I've attempted to have intelligent conversations on the subject with those who want to hold onto the concept of an inerrant, God-breathed tome. The perception automatically swings the other way to "So you just toss scripture out totally and make things up yourself." I have trouble believing anyone could be that ignorant about non-fundamentalist Christian traditions and perspectives, so I tend to conclude that such people just want to argue for argument's sake and set up an "Us vs. Them" situation.

I have no one-size-fits-all opinion of the Bible. It's a collection of many different writings by many different people at different periods in history in a culture different from the one we live in now. Some of it rings true to me, usually because there are certain constants in all humans and their quests for spiritual knowledge everywhere and in every time. There are other writings that do the same thing. This is not me "cherry-picking" or choosing the parts I like that make me comfortable, and when people accuse me of that, I tend to think they are a bit simple-minded if they cannot grasp what I am saying--or that they are pretending not to grasp what I am saying.

The Bible is the work of humans trying to express a connection with the divine, but it is not divine, and it is not magical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
How do you know that?
Because there is no such thing as magic.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:54 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,451,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
^Thank you for those observations, mensaguy.
Yes, that is what I have observed, also. mensaguy...I figured there might be 2 that would say they actually hate it.
Certainly those couple I've noticed would not say they hate God from what I've read.
Then, there is org religion...different than the Bible, of course.
And if someone takes issues with stories in the Bible or the perceived pushiness of a Bible believer...
that isn't the same as 'hating the Bible' , either.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:56 PM

20,448 posts, read 12,832,027 times
What’s ironic is there are those here who believe the Spirit tells them scripture is NOT the very breath of God, but the writers who say it IS the very breath of God were somehow mislead.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What’s ironic is there are those here who believe the Spirit tells them scripture is NOT the very breath of God, but the writers who say it IS the very breath of God were somehow mislead.
What is more ironic is that there are those here who do believe that Jesus said He had to leave us physically so that the Comforter sent in His name would come as the Holy Spirit to guide us to the truth God has "written in our hearts" but they prefer to believe the Bible is their inerrant guide instead. They do this despite the fact that the Bible NEVER says any such thing about itself. It only says it is "profitable" (USEFUL) for instruction. It is the Comforter who is our guide to the Truth, NOT the Bible.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 10-19-2017 at 04:14 PM..

Old 10-19-2017, 04:11 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,451,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
... the Bible NEVER says any such thing about itself.
It only says it is "profitable" (USEFUL) for instruction.
It is the Comforter who is our guide to the truth, NOT the Bible.
Should Truth be capitalized?
Cuz that's the Truth I have been shown by the Holy Spirit...God's Spirit...actually capped and maybe
lit up would be appropriate.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Should Truth be capitalized?
Cuz that's the Truth I have been shown by the Holy Spirit...God's Spirit...actually capped and maybe
lit up would be appropriate.
Done.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:15 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,900,789 times
This question is like asking whether or not I love Fred's bookcase. Well, the answer is yes and no. Some of the books I really LOVE. Others, not so much.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:24 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,343,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
well they either hate the bible and it writers or people who read it ... take your choice.. it is crystal clear they sure hate someone.
Maybe we just tire of people like you who claim you have the truth making false and illogical accusations. Almost every atheist, even on these forums, gets along with the vast majority of Christians. It is difficult to get along with those who insist on claiming we hate others, that are lives cannot have any worth, that we are immoral, that our lives are hopeless and that we can neither be kind to others or even love another person. All those accusations have been made agaist atheist by Christians on these forums and are no more true than the blood libel against Jews or any other such claims.

It is not Christians, your God or your Bible I hate, its the individuals that place those with different beliefs in religion or politics or those of other racial or ethnic group as inferior or even as a sub human. I have read more hatred by Christians towards atheists or Muslims than I have read hatred towards Christians. If you wish to bash atheists on your Christianity forum do not be upset if we strike back.

Some if the best posters on these forums are Christians and I learn from and appreciate their posts, Miss Hepburn is just one example. No I don't believe in the Bible nor your God but I certainly do not believe that your posts are examples of how most Christians believe or think. If you think a non believer of your religion must actually hate your religion and its believers is it safe to believe that you hate all those who either do not believe or believe in another religion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity