Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 04:47 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,804,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Maybe we just tire of people like you who claim you have the truth making false and illogical accusations. Almost every atheist, even on these forums, gets along with the vast majority of Christians. It is difficult to get along with those who insist on claiming we hate others, that are lives cannot have any worth, that we are immoral, that our lives are hopeless and that we can neither be kind to others or even love another person. All those accusations have been made agaist atheist by Christians on these forums and are no more true than the blood libel against Jews or any other such claims.

It is not Christians, your God or your Bible I hate, its the individuals that place those with different beliefs in religion or politics or those of other racial or ethnic group as inferior or even as a sub human. I have read more hatred by Christians towards atheists or Muslims than I have read hatred towards Christians. If you wish to bash atheists on your Christianity forum do not be upset if we strike back.

Some if the best posters on these forums are Christians and I learn from and appreciate their posts, Miss Hepburn is just one example. No I don't believe in the Bible nor your God but I certainly do not believe that your posts are examples of how most Christians believe or think. If you think a non believer of your religion must actually hate your religion and its believers is it safe to believe that you hate all those who either do not believe or believe in another religion?
In one fell swoop you marginalize christians, then accuse the Spector of what you just did.

If you have cause, speak of the case exactly as is.

I have known outright hatefull and abusive people claim to be a Believer in Christ.
Then turn around and walk like a back biter.
Yes, and I would advise to steer clear of those types. You don't have to keep company with them.

Most, because they have never read and studied scripture with the Counselor.
Have become just as the parable explains.
A habitation of every foul bird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 04:48 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,349,449 times
Quote:
I certainly do not believe that your posts are examples of how most Christians believe or think.
Believe me, they are not even close.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:48 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Quote:
Maybe we just tire of people like you who claim you have the truth making false and illogical accusations. Almost every atheist, even on these forums, gets along with the vast majority of Christians. It is difficult to get along with those who insist on claiming we hate others, that are lives cannot have any worth, that we are immoral, that our lives are hopeless and that we can neither be kind to others or even love another person. All those accusations have been made against atheist by Christians on these forums and are no more true than the blood libel against Jews or any other such claims.

It is not Christians, your God or your Bible I hate, its the individuals that place those with different beliefs in religion or politics or those of other racial or ethnic group as inferior or even as a sub human. I have read more hatred by Christians towards atheists or Muslims than I have read hatred towards Christians. If you wish to bash atheists on your Christianity forum do not be upset if we strike back.

Some if the best posters on these forums are Christians and I learn from and appreciate their posts, Miss Hepburn is just one example.
No I don't believe in the Bible nor your God, but I certainly do not believe that your posts are examples of how most Christians believe or think.

If you think a non believer of your religion must actually hate your religion and its believers is it safe to believe that you hate all those who either do not believe or believe in another religion?
That was an excellent essay...I would have given you an A...regardless of my beliefs.
Read the bolded as a sentence ...it says a lot...sums up many others' feelings.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:53 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,349,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, and it's been a bit frustrating when I've attempted to have intelligent conversations on the subject with those who want to hold onto the concept of an inerrant, God-breathed tome. The perception automatically swings the other way to "So you just toss scripture out totally and make things up yourself." I have trouble believing anyone could be that ignorant about non-fundamentalist Christian traditions and perspectives, so I tend to conclude that such people just want to argue for argument's sake and set up an "Us vs. Them" situation.

I have no one-size-fits-all opinion of the Bible. It's a collection of many different writings by many different people at different periods in history in a culture different from the one we live in now. Some of it rings true to me, usually because there are certain constants in all humans and their quests for spiritual knowledge everywhere and in every time. There are other writings that do the same thing. This is not me "cherry-picking" or choosing the parts I like that make me comfortable, and when people accuse me of that, I tend to think they are a bit simple-minded if they cannot grasp what I am saying--or that they are pretending not to grasp what I am saying.

The Bible is the work of humans trying to express a connection with the divine, but it is not divine, and it is not magical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
How do you know that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Because the God I believe in gave me the ability to reason.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:57 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,726,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What is more ironic is that there are those here who do believe that Jesus said He had to leave us physically so that the Comforter sent in His name would come as the Holy Spirit to guide us to the truth God has "written in our hearts" but they prefer to believe the Bible is their inerrant guide instead. They do this despite the fact that the Bible NEVER says any such thing about itself. It only says it is "profitable" (USEFUL) for instruction. It is the Comforter who is our guide to the Truth, NOT the Bible.
pft... maybe some can add ... and realize Jesus is just one ..
but His spirit can be everyplace as once..
but how do we know it is His words we hear in our hearts or see in his creation , unless it first agree with his own written WORDS , even doubled and triple witnessed.. gee maybe we get it better than you think.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:07 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,779,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What is more ironic is that there are those here who do believe that Jesus said He had to leave us physically so that the Comforter sent in His name would come as the Holy Spirit to guide us to the truth God has "written in our hearts" but they prefer to believe the Bible is their inerrant guide instead. They do this despite the fact that the Bible NEVER says any such thing about itself. It only says it is "profitable" (USEFUL) for instruction. It is the Comforter who is our guide to the Truth, NOT the Bible.
That same passage says “All scripture is inspired.”

Old 10-19-2017, 05:09 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,915,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
pft... maybe some can add ... and realize Jesus is just one ..
but His spirit can be everyplace as once..
but how do we know it is His words we hear in our hearts or see in his creation , unless it first agree with his own written WORDS , even doubled and triple witnessed.. gee maybe we get it better than you think.
Because words in ink can be falsified, but the nature of the Spirit Jesus promised was well described by Jesus and the Apostles. It is the ONLY valid check, but you don't really believe in the promise of Jesus.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:14 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,913,817 times
DIdnt get a chance to read the thread, But i lost faith years ago due to personal issues..

But the bible and any religion is just a creative way to make people do things. Makes death that more enjoyable. I mean come on..
14 virgins if you die? one prophet wants to kill everybody that doesnt believe in him, one that thinks the world going to end at a certain time. Got tv preachers selling "holy water to the gullible". Rich ones building mansions while their follows living in box houses. Without religion, then what do we have? what would we be fighting for? absolutely nothing.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
DIdnt get a chance to read the thread, But i lost faith years ago due to personal issues..
But the bible and any religion is just a creative way to make people do things. Makes death that more enjoyable. I mean come on..
14 virgins if you die? one prophet wants to kill everybody that doesnt believe in him, one that thinks the world going to end at a certain time.
Got tv preachers selling "holy water to the gullible". Rich ones building mansions while their follows living in box houses. Without religion, then what do we have? what would we be fighting for? absolutely nothing.
And this ^^ is exactly why I say experience God for yourself up-close and personal, sit in quiet, stillness...don't
be watching TV pastors selling a green cloth or any other middle men.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
That same passage says “All scripture is inspired.”
But, jimmie, have you read some of the stuff that is inspired?
These are only 3.
This is why we just can not abide by the Bible as inspired by a loving Father...sorry,
we can't...
and then we are ridiculed as haters.

-"And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched." (Mark 9:43)

-"Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones." (Psalm 137:9)

-"But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel: Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: ...." (Deuteronomy 22: 20-21)

BUT, I am not asking you to change...believe what you want....but there has to be a respect
that we are not haters of the Bible ...we are actually lovers and that is why we can't
say the entire Bible is truly inspired...and as I have said..."Oh that it were..."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity