Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 01:17 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Yes, it's an evil that people take lightly. It glorifies death, which is for the damned. A Saint of God glorifies life in Jesus.
Do you also call the Day of the Dead, a Christian celebration evil? Or funerals or your National Anthem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 01:27 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
While I'm sure your heart is in the right place, Halloween is what you make of it. While some people, such as Wiccans may attach a religious meaning to the holiday, to most people it is simply a time to dress up in costumes and party, and for children to 'trick or treat,' and is harmless. Children going house to house and getting candy are not worshiping Satan or seeking fellowship with the powers of evil.
Mike, I wanted to rep you for this, but couldn't yet...Awesome post...Very intelligent...

Old 10-22-2017, 01:28 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,046,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Do you also call the Day of the Dead, a Christian celebration evil? Or funerals or your National Anthem?

Well, I didn't know anything about it, but this spells it out I think....from this site...https://www.mexicansugarskull.com/su...odhistory.html

History of Day of the Dead ~ Día de los Muertos

Day of the Dead is an interesting holiday celebrated in central and southern Mexico during the chilly days of November 1 & 2. Even though this coincides with the Catholic holiday called All Soul's & All Saint’s Day, the indigenous people have combined this with their own ancient beliefs of honoring their deceased loved ones.
They believe that the gates of heaven are opened at midnight on October 31, and the spirits of all deceased children (angelitos) are allowed to reunite with their families for 24 hours. On November 2, the spirits of the adults come down to enjoy the festivities that are prepared for them.
In most Indian villages, beautiful altars (ofrendas) are made in each home. They are decorated with candles, buckets of flowers (wild marigolds called cempasuchil & bright red ****'s combs) mounds of fruit, peanuts, plates of turkey mole, stacks of tortillas and big Day-of-the-Dead breads called pan de muerto. The altar needs to have lots of food, bottles of soda, hot cocoa and water for the weary spirits. Toys and candies are left for the angelitos, and on Nov. 2, cigarettes and shots of mezcal are offered to the adult spirits. Little folk art skeletons and sugar skulls, purchased at open-air markets, provide the final touches.

Now I don't see anything in the Bible about doing this, but I do find several admonitions against necromancy, and preparing altars for the dead or other gods. Peace

Old 10-22-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Halloween is basically the exaltation of death, geared to attract children at the earliest possible age, so as to desensitize them to all the evil images. As they get older, it's used to get them into various forms of occultic practices like séances and Ouija boards. Peace
It is widely believed that many Halloween traditions originated from ancient Celtic harvest festivals, particularly the Gaelic festival Samhain; that such festivals may have had pagan roots; and that Samhain itself was Christianized as Halloween by the early Church. Some believe, however, that Halloween began solely as a Christian holiday, separate from ancient festivals like Samhain. - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

Looks like it's a Christian holiday...

Old 10-22-2017, 01:35 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Halloween is basically the exaltation of death, geared to attract children at the earliest possible age, so as to desensitize them to all the evil images. As they get older, it's used to get them into various forms of occultic practices like séances and Ouija boards. Peace
Quote:
Yes, it's an evil that people take lightly. It glorifies death, which is for the damned. A Saint of God glorifies life in Jesus.
Two poster children for the harm that can be inflicted on certain mindsets simply by reading and believing the bible.

I hope the lurkers realize the importance of common sense and a high school education.

Old 10-22-2017, 01:36 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
I thought I would share some street preaching on Halloween 2016; this is a wicked night for people to engage in and a good time to reach the lost. The people assault the street preacher, but he did not revile back. It was very touching to see a Brother let his Jesus light shine brightly on such a dark night.

1 Peter 2
[21] For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
[22] Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:
[23] Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgq_F-QoGmE
I GET IT...this is your version of TRICK or TREAT!

Old 10-22-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
It doesn't glorify death...It is a day of remembrance...

Old 10-22-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:

Yes it is. I've found over the years that Christians are largely blind to the evils of this. All you have to do is ask kids that go to Halloween parties what they did for entertainment, and 9 times out of 10, a séance or Ouija board was involved. Glorifying death and gruesome murder scenes is in no way a good thing for children. I provided alternative things for my kids to do with me that were way more exciting to them and told them why mom wouldn't allow them to participate in such things. Peace

Old 10-22-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
It is widely believed that many Halloween traditions originated from ancient Celtic harvest festivals, particularly the Gaelic festival Samhain; that such festivals may have had pagan roots; and that Samhain itself was Christianized as Halloween by the early Church. Some believe, however, that Halloween began solely as a Christian holiday, separate from ancient festivals like Samhain. - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

Looks like it's a Christian holiday...

I don't expect you as a Jew to understand the shades of difference, but there are "Christians" who are Christians in title only. Peace

Old 10-22-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Two poster children for the harm that can be inflicted on certain mindsets simply by reading and believing the bible.

I hope the lurkers realize the importance of common sense and a high school education.

Speaking for yourself are you, because I have more than a high school education. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity