Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 03:20 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
yes.
Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 03:32 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
So if you know how to love, and do love....you are "born of God?and "know God"?
Then why do so many people that DO love and give of themselves not believe?
Because they've been told they have to believe the wrong things?

Old 10-29-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I have no problem with that, but how can a person please God, who does not even acknowledge His existence? Do you believe the writer of Hebrews is incorrect?

How can they NOT believe in the existence of God if they believe in love. We are not talking about an old man floating along on clouds, you know. Think metaphysical.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
How can they NOT believe in the existence of God if they believe in love. We are not talking about an old man floating along on clouds, you know. Think metaphysical.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Exactly. Examine your concept of the nature of God. How anthropomorphic IS it really?

Old 10-29-2017, 03:54 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
An omni-everything god doesn't require pleasing.

Only a needy, insecure one does.
I'm not so sure I agree with that, Trout. Maybe He doesn't "need" pleasing, but couldn't He "be pleased" nevertheless? I have always been taught that God is my Father in Heaven. He's the father of my spirit (according to scripture, at least) and He knows me and cares about me to such an extent that no earthly father would be able to even imagine. I totally believe that God can be either "pleased" or "displeased" by the things we humans do. The old Protestant picture of a God "without body parts or passions" isn't part of my belief system at all. A God who genuinely wants a relationship with His offspring would have to respond with some sort of feelings to their actions; at least this is my opinion.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Exactly. Examine your concept of the nature of God. How anthropomorphic IS it really?
Actually, I didn’t know if your first sentence was a question or a statement. I know God is spirit.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm not so sure I agree with that, Trout. Maybe He doesn't "need" pleasing, but couldn't He "be pleased" nevertheless? I have always been taught that God is my Father in Heaven. He's the father of my spirit (according to scripture, at least) and He knows me and cares about me to such an extent that no earthly father would be able to even imagine. I totally believe that God can be either "pleased" or "displeased" by the things we humans do. The old Protestant picture of a God "without body parts or passions" isn't part of my belief system at all. A God who genuinely wants a relationship with His offspring would have to respond with some sort of feelings to their actions; at least this is my opinion.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:07 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
What are emotions? Don't they help us survive and navigate this particular physical world? Why would God have the same emotions we do? I believe in evolution so it makes more sense to me that a sentient being, be it from another dimension or another planet, would not have adapted the same emotions to survive as we have. Even if you believe in creationism though it seems that God would have given us emotions suited for this environment only. I think it may be a mistake to take our emotions and spray them over God and the entire universe. Even different people on this planet have different emotions from each other in the same situations and some people experience a different range from others. I think this is a case of over applying the known to the unknown and it is futile to try and get inside the emotions of God.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:07 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I understand your thinking. I just don't share it.

I can't imagine a God worthy of the capital "G" requiring/wanting anything, or being pleased or displeased by our actions. Just doesn't compute with me.

How many of us concern ourselves with how many insects are crushed by our cars tires every time we go to the mall?

I don't think a God who created billions of stars and billions of planets in an ever-growing universe is focused on the puny bipeds inhabiting this little blue dot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity