Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 12:50 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times

Advertisements

I highly doubt grape juice was around 2000 years ago, they either ate the grapes or made wine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 12:53 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
At least it used to be in the Church of Christ when I was growing up/

Old 01-20-2018, 01:21 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Religion tries to stamp out, as well as promote, many things outside of scripture. Recognize it for such, don't fall for its traps, and move on. Let religion (and man's straight-jacking of belief) choke and die, so spirituality can flourish unimpeded.

If I could at the moment, I'd love to pour a glass of wine and drink it in front of some narrow-minded zealot, and see them squirm. They'll never experience pure spiritual freedom and victory with the chains they put on themselves.

Old 01-20-2018, 03:04 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,332,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I thought it was only Mormons. Guess I was wrong.

Katz, seems like you can find every kind of belief and practice on this and much else in the various denominations of Christianity. i would suggest that any custom or practice that helps people to become closer to God and their neighbor in love and forgiveness and stay away from those behaviors that make our selfish needs and desires our sole interest cannot be condemned.

that said, even good beliefs and practices can be perverted if they themselves become "idols"---if abstaining from all alcohol or a "strict" observance of the Sabbath for example keep us so busy observing "rules" and the "letter of the law" (which Paul says "kills") that we may have no time to be mindful in our thoughts and our actions about the basis for every thing we believe and do (the "spirit of the law which gives life") which is to try to fulfill (with God's grace) "the GREATEST commandment of the Law": "you shall love the Lord, your God with you whole mind, heart, soul AND you should love your neighbor as yourself..."

in the peace of Christ.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:07 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Southern Baptists. Drinking alchoholic beverages was/is considered worldly and a gateway to addiction.
I believe most Baptists have moderated that stance,
in view of Biblical evidence they were wrong.

Except in the cases that n..Xuipa pointed out.

That said, I believe the word that got translated into wine,
in the original language was "of the vine"

Either way, I basically agree with the OP's conclusion.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:41 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
The idea that Wine is bad fails when Jesus' first miracle was turning water into ... wine ... and very good wine too.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:35 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
That said, even good beliefs and practices can be perverted if they themselves become "idols"---if abstaining from all alcohol or a "strict" observance of the Sabbath for example keep us so busy observing "rules" and the "letter of the law" (which Paul says "kills") that we may have no time to be mindful in our thoughts and our actions about the basis for every thing we believe and do (the "spirit of the law which gives life") which is to try to fulfill (with God's grace) "the GREATEST commandment of the Law": "you shall love the Lord, your God with you whole mind, heart, soul AND you should love your neighbor as yourself..."
Seeing as I am very much a spirit of the law kind of person, I could not agree more. While I recognize the good reasons behind Mormonism's health code ("The Word of Wisdom"), I have found that some people really do seem to miss the point of it all. When someone is morbidly obese, for instance, but wouldn't touch a drop of wine for anything in the world, I don't feel that he is living the spirit of that particular law, which was given to promote good health.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:06 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
Katz, seems like you can find every kind of belief and practice on this and much else in the various denominations of Christianity. i would suggest that any custom or practice that helps people to become closer to God and their neighbor in love and forgiveness and stay away from those behaviors that make our selfish needs and desires our sole interest cannot be condemned.

that said, even good beliefs and practices can be perverted if they themselves become "idols"---if abstaining from all alcohol or a "strict" observance of the Sabbath for example keep us so busy observing "rules" and the "letter of the law" (which Paul says "kills") that we may have no time to be mindful in our thoughts and our actions about the basis for every thing we believe and do (the "spirit of the law which gives life") which is to try to fulfill (with God's grace) "the GREATEST commandment of the Law": "you shall love the Lord, your God with you whole mind, heart, soul AND you should love your neighbor as yourself..."

in the peace of Christ.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:28 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post

Neither Hebrew nor Greek texts have a word for "Wine". Instead they both use a descriptive terminology, "Fermented Drink", which we translate as "Wine" or "Strong Drink". Fermented drink cannot refer to unfermented grape juice because the technology for making grape juice involves inhibiting the natural fermentation process not invented until the late 19th century by Thomas Bramwell Welc.
Greek:
οἶνος Oinos = Wine

Hebrew:
יַיִן Ya'yeen = Wine

Strong drink would be distilled...Like Whiskey...So, yea, that's like really stupid of him to say...And add the fact that G-d tells folks to use part of their tithe to buy strong drink and make merry at the feast...

Old 01-21-2018, 03:30 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The idea that Wine is bad fails when Jesus' first miracle was turning water into ... wine ... and very good wine too.
No, no, no...Everyone know that he turned it into Welch's Grape Juice, silly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity