Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 05:30 AM

4,765 posts, read 2,003,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
“Ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds of the air, and they will tell you; or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish of the seainform you. Which of these does not know that the hand of the Lord has done this? In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind.” (Job 12:7-10)

“The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard. Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world. Psalm 19:1-4

Typical fundamentalist. He is in the fire and brimstone that consume folk but he is not in the wind and earthquake.. What about the earthquake that shook the foundations of the prison that Paul and Silas were in ?.

We look for God(his voice) first in the inside(Something fundamentalists don't get, the kingdom is within)not in the earthquake and winds, although he is in them?. You know like speaking from a burning bush. Evil is the illusion you accept when you are looking at anything other than God. God cannot look upon evil, therefore in God's eyes it does not exist, even though it appears to. If you cannot seek God in the mountains, the sea, the clouds the sun, the wind, the rain, the birds, the animals etc, you are walking around with your eyes closed.

Know the scriptures better and in context, it will benefit you no end.
Take your own advice. You don' even understand the verses you quoted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 05:37 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,396,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
What kind of an answer is this?. At least explain what they do mean then.

What i understand by the scriptures that you do not believe is not only is God in creation, he is in all things and speaks through all things.

God according to the scriptures is in all things

Old 04-22-2018, 09:57 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,746,102 times
Quote:
Read the book of Job. God sent His servant, Satan, to destroy Job's life (Job being a righteous man). And, according to Jews, Satan if but God's servant and only works as God allows.

Quote:
The word Satan is actually used many times in the Tanakh, and it means an adversary, obstacle or stumbling block.

Besides the shear pre-occupation with Satan, we find another very major, fundamental difference between the Jewish understanding of Satan and the Christian understanding of him.

In Christianity, Satan is an enemy of G-d, an opposing force, and something very bad. In Christianity, Satan has a level of power that is considered almost equal to that of G-d. In the Christian bible (2 Corinthians 4:3-4), Satan is called the god of this world. However, in Judaism Satan is an agent of G-d, created by G-d for a specific purpose, and something very good. Satan is simply an agent of G-d, just as all the other angels are simply agents of G-d.
Ask the Rabbi, JewishAnswers.org » The Jewish View of Satan

It appears you are the one that don' (sic) even understand the Scriptures.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
“Ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds of the air, and they will tell you; or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish of the seainform you. Which of these does not know that the hand of the Lord has done this? In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind.” (Job 12:7-10)

“The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard. Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world. Psalm 19:1-4

Typical fundamentalist. He is in the fire and brimstone that consume folk but he is not in the wind and earthquake.. What about the earthquake that shook the foundations of the prison that Paul and Silas were in ?.

We look for God(his voice) first in the inside(Something fundamentalists don't get, the kingdom is within)not in the earthquake and winds, although he is in them?. You know like speaking from a burning bush. Evil is the illusion you accept when you are looking at anything other than God. God cannot look upon evil, therefore in God's eyes it does not exist, even though it appears to. If you cannot seek God in the mountains, the sea, the clouds the sun, the wind, the rain, the birds, the animals etc, you are walking around with your eyes closed.]
Amusing. The non-fundamentalist, the liberal, just makes up things to fit their personal, unbiblical theology.

Gen 6:5 - The the Lord saw the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and ever intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

Gen 38:7 - But Er, Judah's first born, did evil in the sight of the Lord...
2 Ki 13:2 - He did evil in the sight of the Lord
2 Tim 4:18 - The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed....

God can't look on evil with approval or without punishing it.

Quote:
Know the scriptures better and in context, it will benefit you no end.
Take your own advice.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Read the book of Job. God sent His servant, Satan, to destroy Job's life (Job being a righteous man). And, according to Jews, Satan if but God's servant and only works as God allows.
You are the one who need to read Job more carefully.

Job 1:6 - Now there was a day when he sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord and Satan also came among them.

God did not send Satan to Job. He came of his own accord.

God did not order Satan to harm Job. He limited what he could do to him.

Quote:
Maybe you should read what God says, instead of what some Rabbi says.

He even misquotes Isa 45;7. God does not create evil,. The word in that verse should be "calamity."

Old 04-23-2018, 11:28 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,396,275 times
Quote:
Amusing. The non-fundamentalist, the liberal, just makes up things to fit their personal, unbiblical theology.

Gen 6:5 - The the Lord saw the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and ever intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

Gen 38:7 - But Er, Judah's first born, did evil in the sight of the Lord...
2 Ki 13:2 - He did evil in the sight of the Lord
2 Tim 4:18 - The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed....

God can't look on evil with approval or without punishing it.

Take your own advice.
So what do you do with the contradictory scriptures that state God cannot look upon sin. You do know you have to be careful what you look at don't you ?. Why do you think the Psalmist said i see the Lord before me i shall not be moved....... What do you think Joshua and Caleb saw in the promised lands themselves as grasshoppers at the size of its inhabitants or them like grasshoppers in the sight of God who was with them. Why do you think throughout the whole of the scriptures we are admonished to look to God?, Exactly because what we behold we become like.

Answer me this too if evil is real, who created it and provide the scriptures where it tells you it was created. I can provide 1 for you, but you won't like it.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:38 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,746,102 times
Quote:
You are the one who need to read Job more carefully.

Job 1:6 - Now there was a day when he sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord and Satan also came among them.

God did not send Satan to Job. He came of his own accord.

God did not order Satan to harm Job. He limited what he could do to him.

Maybe you should read what God says, instead of what some Rabbi says.

He even misquotes Isa 45;7. God does not create evil,. The word in that verse should be "calamity."
Quite interesting. So you wouldn't be harmed if your entire family were wiped out and you were beset by boils? Calamity is not evil--it is just?

Job argued with God over what befell him. His friends urged him to repent. Although God set Job straight about his argument, he also said those 'friends' had failed Job.

Jews know one heck of a lot more about the Tanakh than Christians. And that rabbi did NOT misquote Isaiah 45:7. You depend on the Masoretic text which is flawed and on mistranslations into English. Here is Young's Literal Translation:
Quote:
Forming light, and preparing darkness, Making peace, and preparing evil, I am Jehovah, doing all these things.'
Now if you aren't into literal translations, you aren't into the Bible.
Amos 3:6 has a lot of misinterpretations, too--using "calamity" inappropriately or at least without it giving a clear understanding of where it came from:
Quote:
Is a trumpet blown in a city, And do people not tremble? Is there affliction in a city, And Jehovah hath not done it?
Young's literal translation, Amos 3:6

You've been duped by thousands of years of developing Satan into a purely evil character. He is not. He IS a trickster who serves a purpose. I suggest you consider reading the book The Quest for the Historical Satan, by two members of Denver's Iliff School of Theology, published in 2011.
A short quote from a paper they released prior to publishing their work;
Quote:
The Satan who confronts Jesus in the desert helps Jesus, in all his humanity, to understand his own divinity and the important public ministry he undertakes after the sojourn in the desert. Like tricksters of other various indigenous traditions, Satan’s temptation leads Jesus to understand his mission and purpose.
----------------------
And here is the ultimate paradox: Satan as trickster teaches humanity how to walk humbly in the paths of the Lord. While possibly taking pleasure in testing human weaknesses and strengths, Satan can create situations that can lead humans to make proper moral choices.
The Bible and Interpretation - Rethinking Satan as Absolute Evil

As for me, I never blame God NOR Satan for my shortcomings and sin. It's all me. All my choice. Without a trickster, no choice I ever made would be mine alone. I be like you, mindlessly reading the Bible and grasping at untested theology spouted from the pulpit instead of wrestling with God as Job did. "Calamity" is a test of one's character.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:40 PM

18,529 posts, read 9,216,759 times
Debates like this amuse me.

Why didn’t the Christian God write a Holy Book that was less subject to interpretation? There would be a lot less conflict within Christianity if the Christian God were a better communicator.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:48 PM

3,671 posts, read 2,253,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Debates like this amuse me.

Why didn’t the Christian God write a Holy Book that was less subject to interpretation? There would be a lot less conflict within Christianity if the Christian God were a better communicator.
He did, it's just foolish men who put their own 2 cent in, scripture,
2 Peter 1:20 "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation".

so let the Holy Spirit teach you. John 14:26 "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

PCY

Old 05-02-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Read the book of Job. God sent His servant, Satan, to destroy Job's life (Job being a righteous man).
Let's look at what the Bible says.

Job 1:6 - Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord and Satan also came among them.

God did not send for anyone. they, including Satan, just came.

Quote:
And, according to Jews, Satan if but God's servant and only works as God allows.
God never told Satan to do anything. He only limited what Satan could do. That means Satan is not God's servant.

I prefer the Biblical view over the view o man.

Quote:
I have just shown where it is you who does not understand the Scriptures. Better luck next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity