Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2018, 08:30 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,259,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Death isn't punishment, it's a new beginning.
Insofar as I know, death is a punishment, you may view it as a blessing, but if I go with what the Bible says (and I do), it tells me that God told Adam if he ate from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, he would die. This was not a reward for disobeying God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 08:37 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Insofar as I know, death is a punishment, you may view it as a blessing, but if I go with what the Bible says (and I do), it tells me that God told Adam if he ate from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, he would die. This was not a reward for disobeying God.
Do you know what an allegory is?

Old 04-04-2018, 08:40 PM

1,183 posts, read 536,827 times
Quote:
Well, Adam did die. Death is frightenening. It is a natural fear built in. I am afraid if it wasn’T people would be jumping off buildings due life being hard.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:40 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
For Christians, physical death is a promotion.

2 Cor. 5:8

We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:42 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
For Christians, physical death is a promotion.

2 Cor. 5:8

We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

LOL.

"For Christians..."

LOL.

Just say the magic words.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:04 PM

6,793 posts, read 2,904,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
Absolutely nonsense ...and ultra-CRUEL nonsense at that. If the myth that eternal torment was taught in the Bible, then such a God who would impose an infinite penalty of torment (torment no less!) for finite human 'sins' would be the worst kind of tyrant imaginable. How can the majority (it would seem) of (intelligent?) Christians believe in such an insane concept and continue to put their faith in and exalt such a God?

But yet ...they do . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
Stop placing your morality above God’s justice.
You seriously call the 'divine' penalty of 'eternal torment for finite human sins' ...justice? Even those who perished at the hands of tyrants such as Adolph Hitler were not subjected to eternal torment as far as I know. But, since I mentioned Adolph Hitler ...what would be the difference between he and your version of God, other than that your God is much more insane and cruel than Adolph ...?

Quote:
Be thankful that you have the freedom to read the Bible while many in the World do not.
Um, okay ...I am thankful, I guess. What does that have to do with the cruel and insane belief in a God who would create a place of eternal torment for those who simply did not believe in him?

Quote:
God has placed you in a country with incredible wealth and freedom.
You do know that I live in Australia ...right? But yes, I do live in a country with incredible wealth and freedom. I just wanted to make this known to the many ignorant who think that the U.S. is the only nation that possesses wealth and freedom. This still does not make 'hell' any less than a cruel and insane belief of too many professed Christians ...regardless of the country in which they reside.

Quote:
Yet you are a slave to this world. Your thoughts and priorities are not aligned with the Holy One.
I'm a slave to this world because I attempt to apply sanity and decency to a version of a God who comes across - thanks to 'Christian teaching' - as being the total opposite? If that is being 'worldly' then 'worldly' I am. Whoever the Creator God is He is not the creator of hell-fire and eternal torment! Only human beings could come up with such a heinous belief as this!

Old 04-04-2018, 10:31 PM

1,183 posts, read 536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
You seriously call the 'divine' penalty of 'eternal torment for finite human sins' ...justice? Even those who perished at the hands of tyrants such as Adolph Hitler were not subjected to eternal torment as far as I know. But, since I mentioned Adolph Hitler ...what would be the difference between he and your version of God, other than that your God is much more insane and cruel than Adolph ...?

Um, okay ...I am thankful, I guess. What does that have to do with the cruel and insane belief in a God who would create a place of eternal torment for those who simply did not believe in him?

You do know that I live in Australia ...right? But yes, I do live in a country with incredible wealth and freedom. I just wanted to make this known to the many ignorant who think that the U.S. is the only nation that possesses wealth and freedom. This still does not make 'hell' any less than a cruel and insane belief of too many professed Christians ...regardless of the country in which they reside.

I'm a slave to this world because I attempt to apply sanity and decency to a version of a God who comes across - thanks to 'Christian teaching' - as being the total opposite? If that is being 'worldly' then 'worldly' I am. Whoever the Creator God is He is not the creator of hell-fire and eternal torment! Only human beings could come up with such a heinous belief as this!

Ok so, you made a god to suite your own opinions and desires. Well good for you sparky. Good luck explaining your nonsense to the Lord of creation.

You might be walking around in some nice shiny shoes. But I wouldn’t want to be in those shoes on Judgment Day

Old 04-04-2018, 11:23 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Death isn't punishment, it's a new beginning.
Quote:
Do you believe this punishment is eternal just because someone doesn't believe what you do?

Old 04-04-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Well, Adam did die. Death is frightening. It is a natural fear built in. I am afraid if it wasn’t people would be jumping off buildings due life being hard.
And you would be wrong, but that doesn't surprise me.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Do you believe this punishment is eternal just because someone doesn't believe what you do?
Personally, I do not view death as either, it's just a part of this life. And there is no avoiding it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity