Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 10:59 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,381,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
The world is full of wonderful things you haven't seen yet.
Don't ever give up on the chance of seeing them.
Now, that's worth repeating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 11:16 AM

88,626 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
The Truth burns them like holywater on a vampire. I can visualize them smoking while they read something that is contrary to their made up religion.
This was actually quite humorous. You do have some creative talent, Sum Tingy, that could be put to better use in fiction. The persona you've created on here, while narrow in scope, could make an interesting peripheral character. The preacher standing on the street corner shouting into the air. The religious zealot in the town meeting. The father upset because his daughter is dating a non-Christian.

Maybe you could be the next Tolkien or Lewis!

Old 04-04-2018, 11:24 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,850,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't recall talking about your sins. You'll have to refresh my memory.

Not me personally, not lately anyway, but others. More to the point of my statement though...where does self examination fit into your walk with Christ?

Old 04-04-2018, 11:32 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,676,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Not me personally, not lately anyway, but others.
Who? Just post some as opposed to claiming something hoping it might be true.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:48 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,381,688 times
Quote:
Who? Just post some as opposed to claiming something hoping it might be true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
...where does self examination fit into your walk with Christ?
Finn, answer the question or wrestle with it.
Instead of calling someone else to the mat.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Finn, answer the question or wrestle with it.
Instead of calling someone else to the mat.
She made a claim and I asked her to back it up.

You don't get away from it by asking a question of your own. That is a deflection. You are the deflector in chief, so it is not surprising you'd be here to help someone else to deflect, using your own method.

Yes, everyone needs to do some self-examination. I have promoted that on many occasions. Would you like me to re-post the "examine yourself" sermon jam one more time? Nah, you look it up. I have posted it enough times.

What the heck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY6F0pkArds

Old 04-04-2018, 12:14 PM

1,146 posts, read 649,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Both the far left (atheists) and far right (fundamentalists) have problems with Lewis:

C.S. Lewis on Evolution
I'm not sure about your observation. Most of either type I've spoken to don't even know who Lewis was....

Christians today are incredibly dull as far as their literary and theological background is concerned. If they read at all, which is a rare thing, they usually dabble in Rowling or King. Visit a neighborhood garage sale and you'll see the type of thing people usually read.

Bible study? Nope. My mother was an Episcopalian that was as constant as a clock regarding attendance, but she absolutely refused to read the Bible. When I got saved she thought I'd gone off the deep end.

One of mom's favorite pastors was later arrested for molesting teen agers with learning disabilities. The fellow lost his mind when the Bishop ran off with his wife. True story, very sad. Remember Bishop Pike? This idiot walked off into the Judean desert looking for spirituality of some sort. Was never seen again. If he'd looked in his Bible he might have saved himself a hike.

At one time I considered going into the ministry, but was advised by the chairman of the committee of ministries that I wouldn't be allowed to assume the orders of priesthood because of my belief in Jesus as savior. When asked to recant, I refused. These were the type of opinionated idiots and moral cretans that were leading the church in the 60's and 70's. The folks in the congregation were never challenged by anything other than weekly readings from the prayer book. Read Lewis? Who's that they'd ask.

I left Episcopal and never went back.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Last edited by Choir Loft; 04-04-2018 at 12:25 PM..

Old 04-04-2018, 12:32 PM

88,626 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
I'm not sure about your observation. Most of either type I've spoken to don't even know who Lewis was....

Christians today are incredibly dull as far as their literary and theological background is concerned. If they read at all, which is a rare thing, they usually dabble in Rowling or King. Visit a neighborhood garage sale and you'll see the type of thing people usually read.

Bible study? Nope. My mother was an Episcopalian that was as constant as a clock regarding attendance, but she absolutely refused to read the Bible. When I got saved she thought I'd gone off the deep end.

One of mom's favorite pastors was later arrested for molesting teen agers with learning disabilities. The fellow lost his mind when the Bishop ran off with his wife. True story, very sad. Remember Bishop Pike? This idiot walked off into the Judean desert looking for spirituality of some sort. Was never seen again. If he'd looked in his Bible he might have saved himself a hike. At one time I considered going into the ministry, but was advised by the chairman of the committee of ministries that I wouldn't be allowed to assume the orders of priesthood because of my belief in Jesus as savior. When asked to recant, I refused. These were the type of opinionated idiots and moral cretans that were leading the church in the 60's and 70's. The folks in the congregation were never challenged by anything other than weekly readings from the prayer book. Read Lewis? Who's that they'd ask.

I left Episcopal and never went back.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...
That was your experience, though. You can't apply your Episcopalian mother's habits across the board to the whole Episcopal Church, and from what I understand, the EC is very different from its "frozen chosen" past in the decades you mentioned.

My parish had a bible study every Tuesday night up until the priest retired last year. Also, as I've pointed out about a hundred times before, I did not grow up in the Episcopal Church, but one of the things that struck me is that they read more from the Bible--not the BCC, the Bible--during a service than any other church I've ever attended. They follow the same liturgical calendar as the Catholic Church, which people also like to claim never reads the Bible. And yet, at every single mass/service, there is an OT reading, a Psalm, an Epistle, and the Gospel. Four good-sized passages read and then the priest finds a theme (or tries to, lol) to tie them together for the sermon, which concludes with a reminder that we are to love God and our neighbors.

In most other churches I've attended, including the one in which I grew up, it seems the pastor takes one or two verses out of context and then blathers on about it for half an hour, forty-five minutes.

There is also the difference that the Episcopal Church seems more scholarly than some of the others. If the OT reading is from Isaiah, the priest might explain that it was written by three authors over a period of 150 years--before the Exile, during the Exile, and after the Exile. He will then explain what the author was saying during this period and discusses how we might apply those words to ourselves now, but this is different from claiming the words are God speaking directly to us word for word.

As I've also said a hundred times on here, it's not the "right" church, it's just a branch of Christianity, but for those who may be reading and honestly want information, I feel it necessary to correct you and the others on here who seem intent on trashing and dismissing that branch. For many people who seek Christianity but are not accepted everywhere, an Episcopal parish may be the only church where they will ever be made to feel welcome, and I want that to be known.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-04-2018 at 12:44 PM..

Old 04-04-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
Did she say why?

Old 04-04-2018, 12:59 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,208,174 times
Quote:
Did she say why?
Reading his posts makes it quite clear to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity