Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 06:34 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
There's no point in trying to reason with him Jerwade, or get him to make sense.
It is difficult for those who have been led-astray to acknowledge their errors.
Especially, when reality is not a part of their beliefs-system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 06:41 PM

11,090 posts, read 7,149,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
It is difficult for those who have been led-astray to acknowledge their errors.
Especially, when reality is not a part of their beliefs-system.
The tactics used by them are crystal clear and blatantly visible to all. Under a bogus guise of intellect and superiority, they resort to games that reveal the depths of their foolishness and depravity.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:57 PM

1,183 posts, read 536,827 times
Quote:
You're overreacting by making statements such as There is a growing movement of flat-earth believers, with no evidence, and many Christians are idiots, which you know is an attack. Playing innocent won't work. You can't talk your way out of it.
I never heard such a thing in Christian circles till now. To say the Old Testament projects the idea of flat earth is suspect. I have to admit, I did not nor will not click on yet another wild theory. After first 100 claims reading about some radical subject concerning the Scriptures gets tiresome. Then, after researching the real truth, you eventually find that is nothing more than made up nonsense.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
I never heard such a thing in Christian circles till now. To say the Old Testament projects the idea of flat earth is suspect.
This is a paper ghost, a fabrication. Truth has taken a holiday. These types of things only require someone with a keyboard, an agenda, and a platform. It's child's play to make false declarations to the world, especially with the good ol' Internet around. We have to see it for what it is.

If you smell a skunk, don't be surprised by black and white fur nearby.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:12 PM

1,183 posts, read 536,827 times
Quote:
This is a paper ghost, a fabrication. Truth has taken a holiday. These types of things only require someone with a keyboard, an agenda, and a platform. It's child's play to make false declarations to the world, especially with the good ol' Internet around. We have to see it for what it is.

If you smell a skunk, don't be surprised by black and white fur nearby.

Gahhh! Dog got skunked last year. I will never forget the smell.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:17 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,806,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
In the interest of truth I prefer to address it. You might want to read my posts on the issue in the other thread - Christianity and science

God did not find it necessary to correct the Biblical writers understanding of the cosmos in order to communicate His message to them. If you really want to understand the Bible you have to understand it within the time and culture in which it was written.
i already responded in that thread.

the flat earth visual illustrations have been warped through out history, even in western curriculum.
they once taught young children a perverse historical motive for the spread of spanish, english, french and other trade barons theft of arable land.

i specifically abhorred the lying historical curriculum offered very early on in my somewhat formal education.
what is worse is exactly how specific educational institutions have been funded by the U. S federal reserve for how many yrs now, exactly?

The institutions themselves are now suspect of defrauding people for a few hundred yrs that i know of.

So basically the 'flatearthers' are a result of people not being able to cope with the reality of the situation that is currently happening around the globe.
If they are of the faithful, explain to them that you understand that they have been lied to.
And that they are Rightfully angered.

Last edited by pinacled; 04-16-2018 at 07:36 PM..

Old 04-16-2018, 07:30 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,806,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Of course the Bible was never intended to be a scientific treatise. That's why the creation accounts in the Bible are not literal but are polemic attacks on the creation stories of Israel's neighbors.

But the ancient Hebrews did believe that the earth was flat.
Whaaaaaaat?/

alright, who told you this nonsense?

Old 04-16-2018, 08:20 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Daniel 4:10-11

Here are the visions of my mind while I was on my bed. While I was watching,
there was a tree in the middle of the land.
It was enormously tall.
The tree grew large and strong.
Its top reached far into the sky;
it could be seen from the borders of all the land.16

Footnote 16 - Or “to the end of all the earth” (so KJV, ASV); NCV, CEV “from anywhere on earth.”

Old 04-16-2018, 08:24 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Whaaaaaaat?/

alright, who told you this nonsense?
Why not listen to the lecture that I posted in post #4 in which Old Testament scholar Michael Heiser talks at length about Old Testament cosmology of the ancient Hebrews? I'll post it again below. He's not making anything up but is relaying what scholars have long known.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGQDa9Ojk64

The average Christian has never actually studied the Bible. Reading it is not studying it. But Old Testament Biblical scholars understand that ancient Israel shared with its Ancient Near Eastern neighbors a cosmic geography which viewed the earth as a flat round disk supported on pillars with a hard dome firmament above and and underworld below.

Click on the link below to view pictures of this cosmic geography. I can't post an image because of copyright issues. But you can go into it and see the images for yourself.

https://www.google.com/search?q=imag...w=1600&bih=794

Read this excerpt from Wikipedia;
Biblical cosmology

Biblical cosmology is the biblical writers' conception of the cosmos as an organised, structured entity, including its origin, order, meaning and destiny.[¹][²] The Bible was formed over many centuries, involving many authors, and reflects shifting patterns of religious belief; consequently, its cosmology is not always consistent. [³][⁴] Nor do the biblical texts necessarily represent the beliefs of all Jews or Christians at the time they were put into writing: the majority of those making up Hebrew Bible or Old Testament in particular represent the beliefs of only a small segment of the ancient Israelite community, the members of a late Judean religious tradition centered in Jerusalem and devoted to the exclusive worship of Yahweh. [⁵]

The ancient Israelites envisaged a universe made up of a flat disc-shaped earth floating on water, heaven above, underworld below.[⁶] Humans inhabited earth during life and the underworld after death, and the underworld was morally neutral;[⁷] only in Hellenistic times (after c.330 BCE) did Jews begin to adopt the Greek idea that it would be a place of punishment for misdeeds, and that the righteous would enjoy an afterlife in heaven.[⁸] In this period too the older three-level cosmology in large measure gave way to the Greek concept of a spherical earth suspended in space at the center of a number of concentric heavens.[⁶]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_cosmology
Christians really should learn about the Bible. There's no need to be afraid of what it actually says.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:27 PM

I've read the entire Bible through three times, and know there is nothing in it teaching a flat-earth concept. This thread is complete nonsense, and I'll continue to point that out.

Anyone with an axe to grind and a story to tell can attempt to make the Bible say this or that. It doesn't mean squat. Fabrications are fabrications. We're not falling for those games.

Wikipedia is not a scientific journal. It's a public site than any average Joe can contribute to and edit. If you rely on that for facts and in-depth research, the joke is again on you. That's laughable to even see it used as genuine scholarly research. Wikipedia, LOL!!!!!

Last edited by Thoreau424; 04-16-2018 at 08:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity