Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 01:42 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times

Advertisements

It recently came to my attention that while there have always been people who believe the earth is flat, there is a new and growing flat-earth movement among Christians.

In a recent book, Dr. Michael Heiser who is an Old Testament scholar and an expert in ancient Semitic languages wrote;
Recently, I've had the dispiriting experience of fielding several emails asking me to inject some sanity into the new flat earth movement circulating among Christians. Yes---you read that correctly: there's a growing cadre of ''Bible teachers'' busily contending for the faith by teaching their followers (in church and online) that the Bible requires us to believe the earth is flat. This idea is related to another ''Bible fact'' that is experiencing a revival: geocentrism, the idea that the earth is the center of our solar system, not the sun.¹ ''Biblical geocentrism'' is based on the hyper-literal interpretation of verses like Psalm 104:5 (the sun and other planets must revolve around the earth since the earth cannot be moved).

1. See, for example, Karl Keating, The New Geocentrists (El Cajon, CA: Rasselas House, 2015).

The Bible Unfiltered, Approaching Scripture on its Own Terms, Michael Heiser, 2015, pp 27-28.
So I decided to google 'a new flat-earth movement' and sure enough, entries came up such as;

America’s flat-Earth movement appears to be growing - https://www.economist.com/blogs/grap...daily-chart-21

Thousands of YouTube videos claim the world is flat, gravity is uncertain, space is fake and the curvature of the planet is an optical illusion. Followers say this ruse is perpetuated by a powerful cabal determined to make humans feel small and powerless. - The Earth is round, and other myths, debunked by the flat Earth movement (you read that right)

The U.S. flat-Earth movement is booming, according to new data that showed more Americans scoured the internet for flat-Earth theories in the last 12 months than ever before. - Flat Earth Movement: Controversial Conspiracy Theory Is Booming in the U.S.

Flat Earth: What Fuels the Internet's Strangest Conspiracy Theory? - https://www.livescience.com/61655-fl...cy-theory.html

I don't know how many flat-earther's are flat-earthers because of the Bible, or because of other reasons. The fourth article I posted, from LiveScience mentioned three reasons why conspiracy theories are appealing to people. But there have been Christians on this forum who believe the earth is flat.

It's true that the Biblical writers did believe that the earth is flat. A flat earth was part of the cosmic geography view that existed in the Ancient Near East.

The link below contains an image of the Biblical view of the three tiered cosmos.

https://biologos.org/blogs/archive/t...-not-the-point

But we know better today. We know that the earth is not flat. So if you are a Christian and if you are among those who believe that the earth is flat despite the incontestable proof that the earth is a sphere, how can you hold to a flat-earth view? How?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 01:47 PM

11,066 posts, read 7,139,669 times
^ The world is filled with flaky people. This is nothing new. There has been and always will be people who will believe in anything no matter how far-fetched and wacky. This isn't just in the area religion, but is applicable to all realms of society. For example, have you taken a look at politics lately?!? There are tons of wacko ideas and conspiracy theories what we could blush at, and yet also an audience of brain-dead goons ready to embrace the ideas. Singling out Christians makes this thread suspect and even prejudicial.

The only difference these days compared to the past is that we now give the wackos and their ideas attention and put them in the spotlight, like this tread. In the past, people just chuckled and went on about their business. The nonsense was effectively dumped in the trash. That tended to limit and discourage it's growth. Now, we give these goons a place on the Internet, and time and consideration that they don't deserve. That's why this crap proliferates. Sensationalizing matters too by pitting groups against each other doesn't help either, such is the level we've descended to.

If Christians start believing in a flat-earth, it won't be the Bible or God's fault. It will be due to the foolishness of individuals and culture's irresponsibility, pure and simple.

P.S. Where is the proof of your statement "It's true that the Biblical writers did believe that the earth is flat". What scripture or scriptures in the Bible back that up? It appears you're firing off numerous unfounded anti-Christian statements.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 04-16-2018 at 02:15 PM..

Old 04-16-2018, 02:09 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,019,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
It recently came to my attention that while there have always been people who believe the earth is flat, there is a new and growing flat-earth movement among Christians.

In a recent book, Dr. Michael Heiser who is an Old Testament scholar and an expert in ancient Semitic languages wrote;
Recently, I've had the dispiriting experience of fielding several emails asking me to inject some sanity into the new flat earth movement circulating among Christians. Yes---you read that correctly: there's a growing cadre of ''Bible teachers'' busily contending for the faith by teaching their followers (in church and online) that the Bible requires us to believe the earth is flat. This idea is related to another ''Bible fact'' that is experiencing a revival: geocentrism, the idea that the earth is the center of our solar system, not the sun.¹ ''Biblical geocentrism'' is based on the hyper-literal interpretation of verses like Psalm 104:5 (the sun and other planets must revolve around the earth since the earth cannot be moved).

1. See, for example, Karl Keating, The New Geocentrists (El Cajon, CA: Rasselas House, 2015).

The Bible Unfiltered, Approaching Scripture on its Own Terms, Michael Heiser, 2015, pp 27-28.
So I decided to google 'a new flat-earth movement' and sure enough, entries came up such as;

America’s flat-Earth movement appears to be growing - https://www.economist.com/blogs/grap...daily-chart-21

Thousands of YouTube videos claim the world is flat, gravity is uncertain, space is fake and the curvature of the planet is an optical illusion. Followers say this ruse is perpetuated by a powerful cabal determined to make humans feel small and powerless. - The Earth is round, and other myths, debunked by the flat Earth movement (you read that right)

The U.S. flat-Earth movement is booming, according to new data that showed more Americans scoured the internet for flat-Earth theories in the last 12 months than ever before. - Flat Earth Movement: Controversial Conspiracy Theory Is Booming in the U.S.

Flat Earth: What Fuels the Internet's Strangest Conspiracy Theory? - https://www.livescience.com/61655-fl...cy-theory.html

I don't know how many flat-earther's are flat-earthers because of the Bible, or because of other reasons. The fourth article I posted, from LiveScience mentioned three reasons why conspiracy theories are appealing to people. But there have been Christians on this forum who believe the earth is flat.

It's true that the Biblical writers did believe that the earth is flat. A flat earth was part of the cosmic geography view that existed in the Ancient Near East.

The link below contains an image of the Biblical view of the three tiered cosmos.

But we know better today. We know that the earth is not flat. So if you are a Christian and if you are among those who believe that the earth is flat despite the incontestable proof that the earth is a sphere, how can you hold to a flat-earth view? How?
I don’t think that biblical writers necessarily believed that, but merely used poetic liscence as they wrote...

Old 04-16-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
^ The world is filled with flaky people. This is nothing new. There has been and always will be people who will believe in anything no matter how far-fetched and wacky. This isn't just in the area religion, but is applicable to all realms of society. For example, have you taken a look at politics lately?!? There are tons of wacko ideas and conspiracy theories what we could blush at, and yet also an audience of brain-dead goons ready to embrace the ideas. Singling out Christians makes this thread suspect and even prejudicial.

The only difference these days compared to the past is that we now give the wackos and their ideas attention and put them in the spotlight, like this tread. In the past, people just chuckled and went on about their business. The nonsense was effectively dumped in the trash. That tended to limit and discourage it's growth. Now, we give these goons a place on the Internet, and time and consideration that they don't deserve. That's why this crap proliferates. Sensationalizing matters too by pitting groups against each other doesn't help either.

If Christians start believing in a flat-earth, it won't be the Bible or God's fault. It will be due to the foolishness of individuals and culture's irresponsibility, pure and simple.

P.S. Where is the proof of your statement "It's true that the Biblical writers did believe that the earth is flat". What scripture or scriptures in the Bible back that up? It appears you're firing off numerous unfounded anti-Christian statements.
I provided that proof, including some of the scriptures, in the thread Christianity and science

Scholars have long known that the Bible depicts a flat earth view. And in fact I provided a link in the OP of this thread by Dr. Peter Enns who addresses the ancient Biblical view of the cosmos.

Old Testament scholar and Christian Dr. Michael Heiser lectures on the ancient Hebrew cosmology in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGQDa9Ojk64

Old 04-16-2018, 02:28 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,804,428 times
Quote:

not everyone can visualize in multiple dimensions.
i ts possible that the flat earth scenario or presentation is easiest for them understand at the moment.

as for the obvious errors of actual reality
The individuals who continuously propagate the nonsense are just as liable as a gossip!

Old 04-16-2018, 02:30 PM

11,066 posts, read 7,139,669 times
Quote:
Scholars have long known that the Bible depicts a flat earth view. And in fact I provided a link in the OP of this thread by Dr. Peter Enns who addresses the ancient Biblical view of the cosmos.
No, that won't cut it. Again, where in the Bible does scripture support a "flat-earth theory"? The Bible is the foundation for Christianity. If there no scripture that states that, then you have no basis for your allegations against Christianity.

People can say any kind of nonsense they want, but that's just people. People have never been the litmus test for God's/Jesus' thoughts and directions. It's as if you're treating something acting on gravity - like a rock - being gravity itself. No, gravity is the force, the rock is the acted-upon object. Get your sources straight. You've got it reversed. People don't make the gospel and God; God and his word (scripture) do that. Whether or not people follow the directions and teachings doesn't change the Bible itself and what it says.

You're having people 'run the show'. No wonder you're reaching crazy conclusions!

Old 04-16-2018, 02:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
It would appear to be an anti science movement

Old 04-16-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
not everyone can visualize in multiple dimensions.
i ts possible that the flat earth scenario or presentation is easiest for them understand at the moment.

as for the obvious errors of actual reality
The individuals who continuously propagate the nonsense are just as liable as a gossip!
Did you just compare me with a gossip for posting this thread?

Old 04-16-2018, 02:34 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,804,428 times
Quote:
Did you just compare me with a gossip for posting this thread?
Yes, stop it

Old 04-16-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
No, where in the Bible does it support a "flat-earth theory"? The Bible is the foundation for Christianity. If there no scripture that states that, then you have no basis for your allegations against Christianity.

People can say any kind of nonsense, but that is just people. People have never been the litmus test for God's/Jesus' thoughts and directions. It's as if you're treating something acting on gravity - like a rock - being gravity itself. No, gravity is the force, the rock is the acted-upon object. Get your sources straight. You've got it reversed. People don't make the gospel and God; only God and his word (scripture) can do that.
This is the usual denial that many Christians make in defense of the Bible. As I told you, in the other thread I provided a number of scriptures which depict a flat earth.

You can choose not to listen to what scholars have to say on the subject. You can simply dismiss it. But why be afraid of how the Biblical writers viewed the cosmos?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity