Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 09:20 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I'm trying to follow you and Rose's conversation but it's difficult. This is why I don't really like pointing to scriptures in isolation. The book of Daniel is a book of prophesy. The scripture you're referencing is within the context of prophesy. I think Dan 12:2 can be taken at least two ways--literally and figuratively. I am going to focus on the figurative, because I believe "those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt" is talking about God's judgment. This, IMO, is about the remaining children of Israel and points to the resurrection of the 144k from the 12 tribes. Many Israelites are lost (scattered) but they are awakening to who they are. In that way, they are "sleep" (not conscious of who they are or their mission) in the "dust" (what remains of a wicked world) of the earth. Those who will have everlasting life are those whose names are found in the book (the 144k from Revelation). Dan 12:1 says: "...there will be a time of distress unparalleled between the time they (Israel) became a nation and that moment. At that that time, your people will be delivered..." Again, I think this is a reference to Revelation 7:3 where the scripture says "Do not harm the land or the sea or the trees until we have sealed the servants of our God on their foreheads!" God is going to gather the scattered of Israel (the true Israel, who will become a nation again) an will harvest the righteous (the 144k) before Satan's world is destroyed.
The issue is whether there are contexts in which the Greek word aionios and the Hebrew word olam refer to a period of unending duration.

The point that matters here is that resurrection is not a temporary thing. At the resurrection, physical death is left behind forever. Since the Hebrew word olam is used in Daniel 12:2 in association with the resurrection, olam in this context can only refer to endless duration rather than to a period of duration that will come to an end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 09:38 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
I can't read Hebrew, so I have no understanding of the text according to the Hebrew writing. Hebrew words are composed of characters. Not only do the characters have numerical value, but the way they are arranged has meaning. So I can't really rely on someone's translation of a Hebrew word out of context. I can only understand the scripture in the context of the language I speak...which has its own pitfalls, because I'm still relying on someone else's translation. But it's the only thing I have.

The Greek word doesn't mean anything to me, because it is a bastardization of the original Hebrew language.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:42 PM

7,530 posts, read 3,029,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The issue is whether there are contexts in which the Greek word aionios and the Hebrew word olam refer to a period of unending duration.

The point that matters here is that resurrection is not a temporary thing. At the resurrection, physical death is left behind forever. Since the Hebrew word olam is used in Daniel 12:2 in association with the resurrection, olam in this context can only refer to endless duration rather than to a period of duration that will come to an end.
Eternity Explained

ETERNITY EXPLAINED

Hebrew Olam

https://www.logosapostolic.org/hebre...verlasting.htm

Old 06-07-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
Again, not that it will do any good, unless resurrection is only of temporary duration then Olam in the context of Daniel 12:2 refers to unending duration. This isn't complicated.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:19 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
Ressurrection is temporary. It's purposes is to resurrect the righteous before God destroy's Satan's world. Everything, except the the earthly kingdom (because at that point we've reached perfection), has an end. If you think of the Resurrection in terms of other things in the Bible that have a set beginning and end point, then the resurrection can't be unending. Everything is cyclical until we reach perfection.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Ressurrection is temporary. It's purposes is to resurrect the righteous before God destroy's Satan's world. Everything, except the the earthly kingdom (because at that point we've reached perfection), has an end. If you think of the Resurrection in terms of other things in the Bible that have a set beginning and end point, then the resurrection can't be unending. Everything is cyclical until we reach perfection.
Resurrection is not temporary. Just as Jesus died and was raised never to die again, so with the resurrection of all.
Revelation 1:17 When I saw Him, I fell at His feet like a dead man. And He placed His right hand on me, saying, "Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, 18] and the living One; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades.
Resurrection for the believer is to eternal life. Resurrection for the unbeliever is to eternal judgment.
Daniel 12:2 "Many of those who sleep in the dust of the ground will awake, these to everlasting life, but the others to disgrace and everlasting contempt.

John 5:28 "Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice, 29] and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.
Physical death is defeated with the resurrection of the body. And the resurrection of the believer is for his ultimate sanctification.
Ultimate sanctification – glorification. . The final stage in the salvation process is the ultimate sanctification of the believer—the future glorification of the believer. It is realized at resurrection when the believer will be transformed into the likeness of Christ and presented to the Lord as holy.

The Three Phases of Sanctification

Old 06-07-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Again, not that it will do any good, unless resurrection is only of temporary duration then Olam in the context of Daniel 12:2 refers to unending duration. This isn't complicated.
Again: Olam does not demonstrate unending, never has, never will. Resurrection life in the Lord our God is not based on the weakness of olam, or even aionios for that matter. Oh my no. The calibre of resurrection life flows from the Author of Life and rests not on anything but His glorious Person! THIS INDEED IS NOT COMPLICATED!

Old 06-07-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Again: Olam does not demonstrate unending, never has, never will. Resurrection life in the Lord our God is not based on the weakness of olam, or even aionios for that matter. Oh my no. The calibre of resurrection life flows from the Author of Life and rests not on anything but His glorious Person!
You've been shown that depending on the context, such at Daniel 12:2, it does refer to unending duration. Since resurrection is a permanent and unending condition, then the word used in connection with it in Daniel 12:2, - olam, refers in that context to unending duration.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
You've been shown that depending on the context, such at Daniel 12:2, it does refer to unending duration. Since resurrection is a permanent and unending condition, then the word used in connection with it in Daniel 12:2, - olam, refers in that context to unending duration.
I am prepared to make another day of this if you so desire! Resurrection life is based solely on the One who raises the dead, not on olam, not on aionios, but on the Glorious One. Metamorphoo has nothing to do with context, it is in/from/thru the Master!

Old 06-07-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I am prepared to make another day of this if you so desire! Resurrection life is based solely on the One who raises the dead, not on olam, not on aionios, but on the Glorious One. Metamorphoo has nothing to do with context, it is in/from/thru the Master!
Context is everything in interpretation, and words have meaning. Again, since the writer of Daniel chose to use the word olam in connection with resurrection in Daniel 32:40, then in context olam has to refer to unending duration since resurrection is of unending duration. Another example where unending existence
is implied by the word olam is Deuteronomy 32:40.

The word olam is used in Deuteronomy 32:40 where God declares that He lives forever.
Deuteronomy 32:40 'Indeed, I lift up My hand to heaven, And say, as I live forever (lə·‘ō·lām),
The Septuagint in Deuteronomy 32:40 uses the Greek word αἰῶνα to express the concept of unending existence.
Deut. 32:40 ὅτι ἀρῶ εἰς τὸν οὐρανὸν τὴν χεῖρά μου καὶ ὀμοῦμαι τῇ δεξιᾷ μου καὶ ἐρῶ· ζῶ ἐγὼ εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα

Deut. 32:40 For I will lift up my hand to heaven, and swear by my right hand, and I will say, I live for ever.
God's existence is endless. He is without beginning and without end. He lives forever. And the words used to denote His unending existence are 'olam' in Hebrew, and 'aiona' in Greek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity