Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 08:59 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Uh....Moses (answering the original question)?
You didn't address the proposed contradiction. And did Moses see God's face?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 09:19 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
You didn't address the proposed contradiction. And did Moses see God's face?
That's what the Bible says. (Deuteronomy 34:10)

Old 07-15-2018, 09:28 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Okay, I'm going to throw a wrench into the works, Wardendresden. Many if not most Christians would say that Jesus is "God," and plenty of people -- thousands, in fact, saw Jesus (i.e. God) during His ministry. On the other hand, I'm always hearing trinitarians use the words "God" and "Jesus" together in a single sentence, which would clearly imply that they are physically distinct from each other and that Jesus is, in fact, not "God." So, if you're going to ask the question, "Has any man ever seen God?" you've kind of got to be more specific than you were. If you mean "God the Father," it might be a good idea to make that perfectly clear.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:39 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Okay, I'm going to throw a wrench into the works, Wardendresden. Many if not most Christians would say that Jesus is "God," and plenty of people -- thousands, in fact, saw Jesus (i.e. God) during His ministry. On the other hand, I'm always hearing trinitarians use the words "God" and "Jesus" together in a single sentence, which would clearly imply that they are physically distinct from each other and that Jesus is, in fact, not "God." So, if you're going to ask the question, "Has any man ever seen God?" you've kind of got to be more specific than you were. If you mean "God the Father," it might be a good idea to make that perfectly clear.
Ah, now THAT is a good question, Kat. I have only speculation, but that speculation is that few saw Jesus as "God" prior to the writing of the gospels---in particular John, the supposed last one written when Christian orthodoxy was well on its way.

Opinion, only, because no Scripture backs that up.

But, for thinking of the hard questions!!

Last edited by Wardendresden; 07-15-2018 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-15-2018, 10:46 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
What is the difference between a liberal Christian and a conservative Christian if not their political leanings?
There is a difference. Generally speaking and somewhat simplified, a liberal Christian believes the focus of Christianity is Christ's directive to love our neighbors, while a conservative Christian believes the focus of Christianity is the death and resurrection of Christ to save souls from damnation.

There are people in my church who lean conservative in their politics, but they are not conservative Christians by a long shot. Although, since we accept/marry gay people and ordain women and gay people, we don't have any extremists.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-15-2018 at 10:58 AM..

Old 07-15-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
No offense to either camp, but one is supposedly more adherent to the written word and the other one wings it depending on feelings/climate and sometimes soothsaying.

Though some hate to admit it, every belief system has fundamentalist in its ranks.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-15-2018 at 11:02 AM..

Old 07-15-2018, 11:06 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,995,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I do not think any one needs a theologian to interpret the bible. I am not sure what liberal has to do with it.

Liberals reject the verbal, inspiration and inerrancy of Scripture. They make up their own theology thinking they don't need the Holy Spirit to determine what is true in the Bible.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:08 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,995,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I think they mean liberal christians. not conservative liberal politics, as a point of fact, who can't see the real world. They can see feeling good no matter how many they hurt and protecting their own kind real well. But, to be fair, conservative conservatives are whacked too.

Give me an example of how we are whacked.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:14 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
First, don't tell me what I can do. Second, you have the wrong reference. It is from Exodus, not Ezekiel. However we fundamentalist would never answer a statement like yours without using God's inspired and inerrant word. I will use only the Bible to show you your lack of understanding. However you will not accept what the Bible says, because you don't really understand it.

We start in Gen 1:26---Let us make man in our image and likeness...

God's image consist of his invisible attributes: intellect, love, compassion, etc, even His sense of humor.

Now notice in verse 27 God created man in His own image. Likeness is omitted because that will come later and it will be formed, not created. In Gen 2:27, man was formed from a substance that can be seen, dust.

So Genesis 1:26 points the the fact that God is made of what can be seen and what can't be seen.

God can and did appear at times in His visible likeness. It is called a theophany. He has never appeared to man in His image.

I hope you and others, but especially you, that I only used Scripture.

To say Christians worship the Bible is one of the most ignorant things you can say about them, but making up their own truth is typical of liberal theologians.

My claim is that liberals do not understand the Bible and it is you who is putting out and unbiblical, uncreative story and he Bible speaks clearly to those who take the time to study it instead of accepting the view of liberal theologians, who like, you can't prove anything they say against God's inspired and inerrant word.
First, thank you for correcting my quote to Exodus rather than Ezekiel. That error shows what it is to be human. Just like the men who authored Scripture.

Yet you lie to yourself and everyone else when you say you use only Scripture. What you did is create a fiction story about how this happened and that happened and why "part of God" is unseen.

It's not possible to use just Scripture, it is at the core of most fundamentalist lies.

It's an attempt to lead other unthinking people into the same quagmire of fundamentalism.

Your point that God "never" appears to anyone in His own image is also a lie to your own heart as well as others. As Katzpur pointed out, Jesus claimed to be God and He was seen both dead and alive by quite a few people. You wouldn't call Jesus a liar would you---except in defense of your idol, the Bible?

Quote:
Jesus replied, “Philip, I have been with you all this time, and still you do not know Me? Anyone who has seen Me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
John 14:9
Quote:
And whoever sees me sees him who sent me.
John 14:25

All of these to point out the fact that Jesus clearly stated whoever saw Him sees the Father. Now you would like to take this as a "spiritual" thought, not actual. Fundamentalists are ever so good at "spiritualizing in order to harmonize" Scripture. Yet they are full of caustic remarks when some "liberal" Christian tries to do so with verses they don't want spiritualized in order to hold on to their own prejudices.

I give you fundamentalists and gay people, the latter always trodden down because of who they are, and because the former want to be sure God is responsible for their own sinful thoughts against the people Jesus came to save.

This "response" from you couldn't illustrate more the inability of fundamentalists to use "straight Scripture" without commentary to support their point of view. Yet, hypocrites that most are, they cry foul when others do the exact same thing without their blessing.

This, good reader, is why one should never step into the quicksand of fundamentalism.

Go to the internet and look for books by those who "escaped fundamentalism." There are dozens if not hundreds when one includes blogs. Then go look for a book by someone who wrote a book about "How I escaped liberal Christianity to become a Fundamentalist. Nada, zip, zero. I look every so often and have found a couple by people who slipped from liberal Christianity into atheism---but no one who was there ever decided to stick their foot into the pit of fundamentalism.

Incidentally, there are far more "fundamentalists" who became atheists or agnostics. A couple reside on the very threads of Christianity.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 07-15-2018 at 11:50 AM..

Old 07-15-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Liberals reject the verbal, inspiration and inerrancy of Scripture. They make up their own theology thinking they don't need the Holy Spirit to determine what is true in the Bible.
Do you just make this crap up off the top of your head as you type? LOL

Well, you DID get the first sentence correct. Sometimes it's a good idea to stop when you are ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity