Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 04:31 AM

919 posts, read 609,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
God is spirit and man is spirit with a soul and body , our natural senses aren`t equipped to see in the spirit , but man is still spirit ..... when God saves a person then God`s spirit abides on the spirit of man which can develop the soul of man
We all have a spark of the Divine within. (And we all have the 'adversary' within; the negative ego) It is up to the individual whether that spark is 'developed' or not.

There's much confusion over the definition of soul & spirit.
A spirit that inhabits a body is called a soul.
A soul without a body is called a spirit.

No need to over-complicate the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 06:57 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion777 View Post
We all have a spark of the Divine within. (And we all have the 'adversary' within; the negative ego) It is up to the individual whether that spark is 'developed' or not.

There's much confusion over the definition of soul & spirit.
A spirit that inhabits a body is called a soul.
A soul without a body is called a spirit.

No need to over-complicate the matter.
I think you both are right...especially with the experiences I've been having lately. I can see and feel how the differences manifest in my life depending on the "spark" that gets ignited. It's kinda scary! But I know we're not supposed to be afraid.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:15 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
The word "image" is a visual representation of something's physical qualities. It is not the representation of emotions or intellect or conscience. If you look at yourself in the mirror, you see your image. A photograph is a digital image of its subject. We often say that a little boy who looks like his father is his "spittin' image." Even when we say that someone is the image of health, we mean that he appears to be healthy." He looks healthy. Looking at this a bit closer, no little boy looks exactly like his father, but we say he's his "spittin' image," anyway, in order to make a point. Even a little girl could look a lot like her male parent. In all of her facial features, she could resemble him more than she does her mother. Even identical twins look different enough that people who know them really well can tell them apart, just by looking at them, without hearing them speak or taking note of their body language. So basically, we say they are the mirror image of one another even if that's a slight exaggeration.

I believe that when God said He was going to create us in His image, He was speaking of the human form as opposed to some other form. If you look at the context of the statement (in Genesis 1:24-26), my perspective makes total sense.

"And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so. And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness..."

These verses are describing the physical creation of life on this earth. They state very specifically that God created all forms of animal life and gave them the ability to reproduce after their own kind. Without skipping a beat, they continue by stating that God created man in His own image, after his likeness.

Just four chapters later (in Genesis 5:3), we read the following:

"And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth."

The verbiage is virtually identical. Just as God created man in His image, after His likeness, Adam begat a son in his image, after his likeness. I've never heard anybody try to tell me that this verse (Genesis 5:3) means anything other than that Adam had a son who resembled him. Just as dogs have puppies and cats have kittens, human beings also produce after their own kind. God just started the process by creating man in His image and likeness.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:26 PM

919 posts, read 609,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I think you both are right...especially with the experiences I've been having lately. I can see and feel how the differences manifest in my life depending on the "spark" that gets ignited. It's kinda scary! But I know we're not supposed to be afraid.
It doesn't need to be scary. Fear is just a reflection of the unknown.

I love the cartoon analogy of the little Devil sitting on the left shoulder & an Angel on the right. Who is one listening to?
The negative ego is fed/encouraged/inflamed by pride, jealousy, anger, fear, greed, etc. The Spark of the Divine within is developed by love, compassion, empathy, for e.g.

The voice of the negative ego is loud & noisy. The voice of that Spark is soft & subtle (Why the Mystics of Old advised to learn 'to be still') One can 'train' the negative ego to be quiet (through meditation for e.g.) so that we can hear the soft voice.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:16 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
In every child, you can see evidence of their parents; whether it be their mother's eyes or their father's ears. I not only resemble my parents physically, but I also exhibit their traits and characteristics which came in the form of: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. These were the attributes they passed down to their children, just like our heavenly father.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:41 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
The rest of us created in the image of our parents..........yes we are....
Okay, but if Adam was in the image of God, and Seth was in the image of Adam (Genesis 5:3), presumably Seth's offspring were in his image. So, to continue on with that same logic, If B = A and C = B and D = C and E = D and F = E, then isn't E = A, too? In other words, Seth was not only in the image of Adam, but was also in the image of God. That's not to say that any of us are the exact clones of our parents, but that we are the same kind of being.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:30 AM

3,671 posts, read 2,244,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Okay, but if Adam was in the image of God, and Seth was in the image of Adam (Genesis 5:3), presumably Seth's offspring were in his image. So, to continue on with that same logic, If B = A and C = B and D = C and E = D and F = E, then isn't E = A, too? In other words, Seth was not only in the image of Adam, but was also in the image of God. That's not to say that any of us are the exact clones of our parents, but that we are the same kind of being.
Katzpur, that make sense biologically, so you get 5 stars for that. very good.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:39 AM

1,178 posts, read 685,461 times
Maybe Adam and Eve are allegorical.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:06 PM

3,671 posts, read 2,244,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inacitysomewhere View Post
Maybe Adam and Eve are allegorical.
I doubt that. they had children in the Garden. and Adam was formed on day 3.

so no, it's no allegorical.

Peace in Christ Jesus.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:28 PM

1,178 posts, read 685,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101c View Post
I doubt that. they had children in the Garden. and Adam was formed on day 3.

so no, it's no allegorical.

Peace in Christ Jesus.
I don’t believe in a literal seven day creation.

How donyou explain neanderthals and evolution? Were Adam and Eve neanderthals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity