Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2018, 08:45 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
https://www.dailywire.com/news/34641...aign=mattwalsh

WALSH: If You Think Sex Abuse Is A 'Catholic Problem,' You're Fooling Yourself

As I have been writing about the Catholic Church sex abuse scandal over the past week, I have received many emails, and read many comments, that can only be described as boastful. It appears that many Christians from other denominations believe sex abuse is a uniquely Catholic problem or at least that the Catholic Church has a uniquely bad case of it. Indeed, I have been informed numerous times this week that the best way to escape the sex predator problem is to join another church. These Christians remind me of the Pharisee in Christ's parable: "Thank you, Lord, that I am not like them."

That article, while it raises some good points, is very misleading.

I don't know how many times we have to say it, but it bears repeating once again: All denominations have had to contend with this, as would any organization that deals with youth. But what makes the Catholic Church unique isn't the fact that this abuse has taken place, but its coverup when these outrages were discovered by the church leadership.

Even in the article, it makes some false assertions including, "An abuser in a Protestant church can exploit the fact that there is no hierarchy to hold him accountable." This is laughably false in most Protestant denominations, for most have central governing bodies. It is a transparent attempt to claim the Catholic Church has unique problems when, in truth, it does not.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 08-20-2018 at 08:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 02:24 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I don't know how many times we have to say it, but it bears repeating once again: All denominations have had to contend with this, as would any organization that deals with youth. But what makes the Catholic Church unique isn't the fact that this abuse has taken place, but its coverup when these outrages were discovered by the church leadership.

They should be charged with aiding and abetting the perpetrator's on a felony level, as if they had committed the crime themselves; an accessory. Aiding is assisting, supporting, or helping another to commit a crime. Abetting is encouraging, inciting, or inducing another to commit a crime. An accessory is someone who does any of the above things in support of a principle's commission of a crime.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:54 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
https://www.firstthings.com/web-excl...not-be-priests

Why Men Like Me Should Not Be Priests

This is written by a gay man.

I am the sort of man the Catholic Church says shouldn’t be a priest. I experience what the Vatican calls “deep-seated homosexual tendencies,” which, according to the Church, make me an unsuitable candidate for the priesthood. The 2005 Vatican instruction on the question of homosexuality and the priesthood states this clearly: “The Church, while profoundly respecting the persons in question, cannot admit to the seminary or to holy orders those who practise homosexuality, present deep-seated homosexual tendencies or support the so-called ‘gay culture.’” This teaching wasn’t new. In 1961, the Vatican declared that men with homosexual inclinations couldn’t be ordained. Seminarians who “sinned gravely against the sixth commandment with a person of the same or opposite sex” were to be “dismissed immediately.”

The first reason is that men with homosexual tendencies find it particularly difficult to live out the demands of chastity. The vast majority of scandals in the Church since 2002 involve homosexual priests profoundly failing in chastity. This is no surprise to me. Chastity, I’m convinced (and the evidence bears this out), is much harder for men with a homosexual inclination than for others.

Fr. James Lloyd, C.S.P., a priest with a PhD in psychology from NYU, has worked with homosexual men (including priests) for more than 30 years as a clinical psychologist. On the subject of chastity and homosexual priests, he says, “It is clear enough from clinical evidence that the psychic energy needed to contain homosexual drives is far greater than that needed by the straying heterosexual.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
That is a paradoxical statement because a heterosexual would not desire a male sexually, period. Perhaps the study should refer to these people as bisexual at the very minimum.
Both of these posts make claims that the child abuse in the Catholic Church is related to homosexuality. This is not correct. In this article, a Catholic Cardinal tried to make that claim, along with several others strange claims, including placing the blame for the problem directly on Pope Francis. Without citation, the article says "There is no connection between child sex abuse and homosexuality. Pedophilia is classified as a “paraphilia” — a sexual disorder — and has nothing to do with one’s sexual orientation, which refers to the sex(es) a person might be oriented toward. Men are more likely to experience pedophilic disorder, and they are more likely to have access to young boys than they do young girls. This is particularly true in the Catholic Church, in which women have few leadership opportunities."

Here's the article: https://thinkprogress.org/cardinal-b...-3fe6ec43f7ce/

Old 08-20-2018, 04:04 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Do you get angry at heterosexual men when a little girl is abused? Do you get mad at all men when a man abuses a child?
Oh course all people of conscience should get furious when a straight man abused a girl/woman. I don't think we should get mad at ALL men since not all men do/did it.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:07 PM

https://www.vaticannews.va/en/pope/n...ual-abuse.html

Pope Francis: Letter to the People of God (full text)

Pope Francis has responded to new reports of clerical sexual abuse and the ecclesial cover-up of abuse. In an impassioned letter addressed to the whole People of God, he calls on the Church to be close to victims in solidarity, and to join in acts of prayer and fasting in penance for such "atrocities".

Old 08-20-2018, 05:26 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
They should be charged with aiding and abetting the perpetrator's on a felony level, as if they had committed the crime themselves; an accessory. Aiding is assisting, supporting, or helping another to commit a crime. Abetting is encouraging, inciting, or inducing another to commit a crime. An accessory is someone who does any of the above things in support of a principle's commission of a crime.

use RICO. Consecutive sentences, not concurrent. Max security prisons.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:15 AM

https://www.churchmilitant.com/news/...ent-4051207320

"Cdl. Wuerl, Pope Francis and homosexuality"

"It is time to admit that there is a homosexual subculture within the hierarchy of the Catholic Church that is wreaking great devastation in the vineyard of the Lord."

Old 08-21-2018, 02:01 AM

Quote:
https://www.churchmilitant.com/news/...ent-4051207320

"Cdl. Wuerl, Pope Francis and homosexuality"

"It is time to admit that there is a homosexual subculture within the hierarchy of the Catholic Church that is wreaking great devastation in the vineyard of the Lord."
It's child abuse that has been allowed and covered-up for decades, period.

And, what about the Catholic nuns or women in the Church who have been sexually abused?
Or, the children who were neglected by their father, who just so happens to be the Priest?

Last edited by Jerwade; 08-21-2018 at 02:22 AM..

Old 08-21-2018, 02:48 AM

As long as any bishop still looks at a priest’s sexual abuse of a child as a sin rather than a crime nothing will change.

— Marie Collins, former member of Pope Francis’ Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors.

Old 08-21-2018, 03:55 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
The Bible has a standard for pastors/clergy to be, "the husband of one wife". When God's word is ignored, and the Catholic church imposes the opposite, it's no surprise this happens. This is not a new problem. Catholic used to hear all the time about priests and nuns, or women in the Cong. Having sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity